Your favorite weapons in MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 12, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me, the latest trend is the bow. In other words, ranged weapons. I feel like it is easier to attack enemies when you can do it from a distance. Not only it saves time (you can start to do damage before getting close to enemy), but it is also safer for yourself. In a lot of MMORPG, an archer can often kill the enemy before the enemy even get to him/her. Not only because you can start do do damage early, but each hit actually hit harder than a melee weapon can do. So those are the reasons why I pick archer.

However, in some earlier games the archers had no advantage. They might be able to hit from a distance, but their damage isn't high. For example in Neverwinter Nights, while I have certainly seen a few players managed to build very strong archer class characters, but they held no advantage over other strong builds, and they are simply one of the strong builds after all. Since I couldn't figure it out how to build strong archer class in Neverwinter Nights, I stick to my own formula. I have first tried the Great Sword, before found out it sucked as two hand weapons make you have lower Armor Class. Then I switched to Katana, rapier, before finally settled for Dwarven Waraxe as I have found out the strongest character (I can build) was a Dwarf Defender based character.

But anyway, those are pretty much all the weapons I have used. My current favorite is still a bow unless it make my character weak in the game.

What about you guys?

JamesGoblin likes this.
  2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Totally a magic wielder. It's a lot more fun that way, and you have to find a way to manage your mana and health, rather than just your health bar with melee weapons. It's a lot more fun, and the power curve compared to just a warrior type is incredibly exponential, as you would start out as a magic trainee, and then ending up as a lightning god that can destroy everyone.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  3. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have played magic users a few times and I have found while they can be fun to play and very powerful in some games, they are with the most limitations. In some games such as Neverwinter Nights, you run out of spells quickly since you only have limited slots for adding spells each day. Once you run out of these limited spells for the day, you are basically next to defenseless since a spellcaster's physical ability is quite less than impressive. As a fighter I can go on much longer and wouldn't worry about ran out of attacks in the middle of a fight.

Anyway, when you have a well organized party of players, it should be less of a problem, but I just like to have an character that capable to solo and in a group with the least problems.

Then again, the topic of my thread was asking about <<< Weapon >>>. :p
    Not character type.

As a mage, what is your favorite weapon?

JamesGoblin likes this.
  4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've also grown to love bow and arrow. Used to be I was loyal to sword wielding characters but now that I've gotten a bit more experience with other types of heroes I've gained an appreciation for the extra range. I like being able to cause damage without being in that much of a risk position-wise.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  5. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I agree bows are the best weapons. I like attacking from afar. But on the other hand, I also like axes, they're just so bada**.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  6. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a huge fan of bows, I think I've mentioned that in another thread here. I just like the ability to shoot at things from afar, and the increased mobility classes like archers usually have in combat when compared to magic wielders who have to spend time casting spells, or melee classes which have to be next to the enemy.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  7. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Only if you had played Lineage 2 passing Chronicle 2. Mages used to spend some time to cast each spell and could be easily interrupted in the middle of a spell. After that update, they got some ridiculous speed boost for casting. They were casting spells quicker than archers can shoot, and what's more? They do more damage per hit than archers' critical hit, and they do not miss. Perhaps the game designer was playing a mage himself... Archers were still good against a lot of things, but in that particular game the mages were at the top.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  8. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like melee warrior types the most especially if they have a big sword or shield, have lots of HP and can defend their fellow heroes in battle. Magic characters bore me and Archer types are pretty ok I guess but I'm not into the low HP of these classes.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I usually prefer melee or tank weapons, like swords and shields, battle hammers and etc. Though I just start FF14 Online, and my friend said I would be good in the Bard class, so I went with archer. Which I am really liking! I love how having the bow lets me shoot at enemies from a distance, or I just shoot one and only aggro ONE. Instead of running up to a group and aggro'ing ALL of them.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  10. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Low HP, maybe, but huge damage from a distance. In some games, ranged classes are indeed paper cannon. And they can kill most of the enemies before the enemies even get too close.

In some games, while tanks have high HP and high damage resistance, they are too slow to catch up to the ranged class such as an archer. In such case, I'd go with the more powerful class who have an advantage.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  11. abonnen

abonnen Member
    Regular

I play runescape, sometimes I can binge play it but since some days I am too busy to play at all. I play probably 7-10 hours a week probably.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  12. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have never really been a tank person, and I think that I am slow in catching up to this bow and arrow trend, in that I was not even aware it was a trend. I think I would go with the magic spells too, which surprised me a little bit to be honest. I just like the variety of them and the things you can do...makes it more interesting to me. Thanks for sharing.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  13. JamesGoblin

JamesGoblin New Member

That'd have to be either Witch Hunter's matchlock/flintlock or Squid Herder's bow or Shaman's stave - each one from Warhammer Online.

In general, staves and fancy & spooky offhands or late medieval firearms - as mentioned above!?

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am one of those people who always likes the lesser weapons, like your fists or your swords or sticks and things like that. That is also after I have played for some time, too.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  15. edy

edy Active Member
    Regular

MMORPG gives you options. There is no doubt about that. The weapons I prefer in any MMORPG style, level, or game are the old-fashioned ones of fists and sticks as well....

16. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

We used to call mages glass cannons in World of Warcraft. They were quite powerful, but also had cloth armor, so they were very squishy. A well played one will kill an enemy before it has a chance to get near.

Tanks generally aren't meant to compete in damage dealing. Their role is to take a beating and protect the rest of the party from getting beaten, so they can do their roles.

17. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually like to play tank so I would go with the warrior type character that wields a sword and a shield. I never had fun with an archer, assassin, or mage since they die too quick when it comes to team fights. I do not hate them though, they deal a ton of damage to enemies but I just like a character that can deal a bit of damage and can last long when it comes to fights.

thisnthat likes this.
  18. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually prefer machetes in an mmorpg. If I can't get one then usually it is some sort of axe or a club of some sort. I'm not too much in bows as much but will use them.

19. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like mage powers to be honest. I like wiz and mages who cast spell. Those can be really powerful. In most of the games those can take out the enemy in quick succession. So that is surely something to be seen. I'd say magic and the arrows are better.

20. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I started out playing tank or melee, so I liked swords. Later, I found casters or ranged to be less of a headache (and deal more damage). I like staves, wands, intricate offhands.... it has to be unique. I guess I like any cool looking weapon. A lot of them are over the top huge though.