Would The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy Still Exist If Chernobyl Never Happend?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by NuclearWastE3, Apr 27, 2013.

1. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

1.) I want to hear what your opinion on "Would The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy Still Exist If Chernobyl Never Happened?" Why or why not?

2.) If yes, where would it take place in the same location or somewhere else?

ETC.

2. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Well i guess it would exist but probably would be set at 3 mile island or deep in the ural mountains

3. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

I'd honestly say, no. If they were to create a game like it anyway I'd say it would set in some alternate reality where almost the whole world was destroyed and "the zone" simply be the most interesting spot in the whole wasted world.

4. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

No. The game was created based off the whole thing. The developers most likely wouldn't have done STALKER how it is or maybe they wouldn't have done anything at all. For all we know they would have made a completely different game.

Only thing I wish they never put in was multiplayer. It's complete shit.

5. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

That's the fun of of alternative universes, you can think of how things might have turned out if something differently happened. If the Atomic Bomb hadn't been invented (Which is somewhere near impossible.) games, movies, books and television shows such as Fallout, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and METRO.

No, I don't believe the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Trilogy would exist if the Chernobyl Accident hadn't happened.

6. KLMKsunbunny

KLMKsunbunny Well-Known Member

Yes, in some form it would... The game is heavily inspired by the film "Stalker" too, which was made before Chernobyl happened (1979). For those who havnt seen it, it involves the characters travelling through an area called "The Zone". Its hinted that some kind of disaster has happened, the area is deserted and full of "Anomalies" but t is never made clear what caused it. "Stalkers" are the ones who venture into the area... i guess the real life Chernobyl disaster, and the "Exclusion zone" set up around the area, which the developers of the game wouldve grown up with, watched on tv etc logically tied into the events of the film. Without that, the developers wouldve had to have come up with a an explanation for the the zone, which may not have been as good.

7. TotalAaron

It could have worked being set in Japan i guess

8. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

What do you mean by hinted? It's not hinted,it's pretty clear that something had happened there. And that thing created the Zone. It's not a disaster. It's an visitation by alien life form. The anomalies are "leftovers" from that visitation. The Zone in the movie appeared to be more of a precausion, damage control if you wish, to keep away all these people that want to reach the Room.
    Stalkers do not venture into the zone, they are guides for others who want to venture into the Zone and reach the Room.Stalkers do not venture the Zone alone and without purpose as far as i remember.
    The original idea of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was not this post-apocalyptic game that we know. It was and FPS adventure in which the main character is exploring Mayan pyramids and fighting dangerous ancient beasts, etc. Then it became Oblivion Lost. Then Shadow of Chernobyl.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is only loosely based on the movie Stalker, but is heavily influenced by the book-Roadside Picnic. And no,the movie and the book are not the same, there are many, many differences.
    The Chernobyl disaster really is THE inspiration for the developers, since it's everything they know and it's all around them-GSC is based in Kiev-about 60 km away from Chernobyl.So i'd go and say that there would be no S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without the Chernobyl accident.

#8 Keegan83, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  9. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

AND the book "roadside picnic."

10. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

This. We most likely would have seen a game that gives us the same amount of adventure and a great story but it wouldn't be about Chernobyl. I just wish STALKER 2 wasn't cancelled. We really need a publisher to pick it up and get a developer *cough* 4A *cough* to finish it. I'm sure it would sell.

11. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Cough* survarium *cough

12. TotalAaron

Wow the flu spreads fast here :)

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree with Keegan. Even though the game series is heavily inspired by the book and the movie, it mainly uses the Chernobyl Disaster to tell its story. If it never happened, S.T.AL.K.E.R. would most likely not exist as we know it today.

14. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Well this is off-topic, but here it goes.
    For those of you who have played any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, you might have noticed that one of the recommended requirements is a dual-core processor or better. While playing the game(s), you probably thought that the game would take advantage of your dual core plus processor. After checking the CPU's performance on Windows Task Manager, I noticed that this was not the case. One core was doing all the work while the other was mainly at 0% :smash:. I have known of a solution for this about six months after reading about it from a tweak guide or forum that I can't remember the name of at the moment. What you need to do to fix this problem is:

1.) Start up one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games.
    2.) Do Ctrl +Alt +Delete either in the main menu or during the game.
    3.) Go to processes on Task Manager and look for XR_3DA.exe image name and right click on it.
    4.) Go to set affinity and uncheck one of the CPUs (it doesn’t matter which one you do).
    5.) Do Ctrl + Alt+ Delete again, go to processes on Task Manager, XR_3DA.exe, right click, set affinity, and recheck the CPU that you previously unchecked.
    6.) Now you can close TM and get back in the game.

Unfortunately this is not a permanent solution, so you have to do it every time you start up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Hopefully this helps, and I notice about a 15-frame increase on my computer, which uses a dual core.