Why is not there any decent MMORPG on tablets?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, Jun 12, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

While certain MMORPGs require a mouse and keyboard to do well, some others can be done with just clicks. In such cases, a touchscreen of a tablet is actually better. (I found that one out by playing Plants vs Zombies on a tablet after played on PC first).

I know someone might say tablet is not powerful enough. This argument is getting weaker every year. With iPad Pro and similar tablets, they have enough power to play some MMORPGs on the medium to low settings. Come on, Asplate 8 had superior graphics for a racing game, and I am sure it takes a lot of system resources to run, but it is smooth on tablets and even on mobile phones.

If we have some decent MMORPG to kill time with on tablet or even larger screen mobile phones, it will be great for during commune, and waiting for something.

2. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it will happen eventually, give it time. As is, a good MMO requires a real rig and lots of time, a tablet seems pretty intense. maybe a smaller mmo would do, but still really fun?

3. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do not think the hardware power is holding it back any more. Some of the latest tablets are powerful enough to run some amazing games. On the other hand, there are some two-in-one tablets such as Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (I am using one right now to type this message).

As for "lots of time", why is it a issue? People spend a lot of time on tablets and mobile phones nowadays. Being able to play MMORPG on tablets and mobile phones will just make MMORPG become more portable lol...

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

You are talking about the growth of computing power of tablets and thinking PCs are staying the same. While your tablet is getting more powerful, PCs are getting more powerful also.

As someone with a good amount of development experience, even porting simple PC games to mobile is difficult, it is more than just computing power which is significant, it is also the UI and controls. UI is a big issue, with the small screen, it is difficult to make things readable and clickable for everything that is required on a MMORPG. You would have to dumb-down the game to be a click-fest with very few abilities.

And just my opinion, there is not a big enough market of people who only have tablets and don´t have PCs to warrent the port costs and the customer service afterwards. If you port to tablets, then you open up a whole new can of worms for tech support and customer support.

Mostly it is just the controls though. I don´t think you could ever have 10-20 abilities that need to be used quickly and frequently and design it for a tablet.

5. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Actually there are quite a few. Have you tried out the Dungeon Hunter games? They not only look great but can totally play them with friends as well.

6. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Actually I disagree.
    First, I did not say PCs are not getting more powerful. They are too.

Second, there are hundreds millions people out there with tablets, with tens millions new units sold every year. I do not think it is a small market. Just because they might also have PCs, it does not mean they can't enjoy a good tablet MMORPG. Just like so many people are still playing phone games while they own PCs at home.

Third, when I played Lineage 2, a MMORPG came out at the same time as WOW, but with FAR superior graphics and PvP, the game has two bars of quick select buttons. One bar at the bottom of the screen, the other one is at the right side of the screen. You can make customized short cuts of both skills and items, as well as more complex actions with the help of these quick buttons.
    So User Interface is not a problem in my opinion.

Think about how everyone was thinking about racing games on tablets? Asplate 8 works great on it.

7. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not an MMORPG but I guess it's close enough to it but I've been playing a MOBA on tablet called vainglory and it's great. Graphics are very well done and the controls feel very natural and not like you're compromising by giving up a mouse and keyboard. There's even a pro scene for it now.

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, there are some decent mobas out there, and even something like Diablo, because they greatly limit your aresonal of skills you have down to usually two at a time.

To the OP, you missed my point about tablets vs PCs. If you are a developer making a PC MMORPG, you are targeting system specs that are probably a year away if you are making a game to launch in two years. You don´t build a MMORPG based around current system specs of most computers. Tablets are getting more powerful, but they are not closing the gap much.

And like I said, the amount of tablet-only people is limited.

Heck, even most console ports are terrible. It is very hard to take a MMORPG and condense it down to a UI that would work on a tablet. You would end up sacrificing a ton on your PC version.

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Agreed. What I like about tablet MOBAs is that everyone who has a phone can come in and play a few games and be done with it which means there are lots of games being made for us and the wait times are usually very quick due to the large user base. I've gotten to play many genres in tablet MOBAs as well so it's not all just the diablo medieval type setting as there are also TF type clones etc.

10. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I did not say to port a PC based MMORPG over to a tablet
    I'd rather to have a MMORPG produced specifically for tablets.
    So all the hardware specifications are aimed at the tablet instead of having to strip it down to have it work.

Yes, playing video games on tablets etc. mobile devices are not as "great" as on a full PC. It does not stop hundreds millions of people from playing on their phones and tablets though. So I believe while it is a niche market, it is a HUGE niche if someone can produce a great MMORPG just for the tablet. No PC port over.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Tablets/phones are still in the early phases of the game and controls can be a problem. Still, a game like Age of Empires II or something like that could easily work on this platform and I would love it.

12. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Age of Empire II is a RTS. Just a few years ago some of my friends were still routinely play AOE II. Although my own little LAN party gang always play AOE III instead.

Anyway, if a phone and tablet can handle Asphate 8, then I do not think it should have a problem to take on some MMORPG as long as the graphics is not too demanding.

13. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

The problem is the cap on tablets for the average person. They have plenty of processing power, but a lot of people are going to want more, and the accessories aren't there to support the game yet. On top of that, it would still have to be cross platform, because how many developers are going to produce a game that's tablet only? Basically just adds onto the developmental loads in terms of porting

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Absolutely, if you have a MMORPG, and you go through all the design of it, and all the cost of it, you do not release it on a single platform. And there comes the problem of making a reall MMORPG that is playable on a tablet, it would suck on computers. And I would love to see numbers of people who own a tablet and do not own a PC? Yes, there aer a lot of tablets out there, but why do I want to play something as involved as a MMORPG on anything but my pc. Tablets are for hearthstone :)

15. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hey, Plants vs. Zombies are available for PCs, Android, iOS.
    Sure it will cost more to make it available for all platforms, but the result is you also make more revenue/profit since more players can access your game.

Of course you'd wish to just simply make a game and be available for all players without the need to make it multi-platform, but it is not the case as some people only use PCs, some people only use iOS devices, some people only use Android devices.

Maybe some people think it is not worth it, I'd say there are enough users for each platform out there for it to make a profit (if) the game is good enough to attract them. So even if it is only available for a single platform, it will still have enough players.

16. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the big problem is while Tablets or other Mobile devices can run an MMORPG, it might not be worth the effort to develop for the platform. Popular tablet games, at least in my experience, are designed to be easy to pick up and play for short bursts while an MMO is almost the exact opposite - They are games deisgned for people to play for hours at end.

17. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Warspear Online can be played on tablets or phones. It is a full MMORPG. There is even is even a java version for the PC.

Platforms: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Linux

18. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I disagree. If you have been to big cities, most people on public transportation have their faces glued to the mobile phones and tablets. A lot of them are playing video games. One of the requirement for a MMORPG is a lot of playing time. Mobile devices can allow people to play the game from anywhere at their convenience.

19. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am pretty sure that it is just too unstable to have anything of significant worth being played on them I am sure that most machines might be okay, but then you are introducing multiple clients each eith their own, it might get messy.

20. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well I'm guessing that game developers can make a good MMORPG for a tablet, but since they would do that to earn money they would either go for pay-to-win type MMORPG or one with a monthly subscription. Even though there would be lots of people who would want to play, I think that wouldn't be enough to cover everything, they would end up shutting it down. Just my opinion though.