Quantcast

Why do you think was the series called Final Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy' started by lindbergh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Games should have a catchy name like Resident Evil, Halo, or Fable. Now Final Fantasy is also pretty catchy. My only gripe is that the name has the word "final" in it but the series never seems to end. Why do you think is it called Final Fantasy?

2. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

The game was called Final Fantasy because it was essentially going to be Square's (this was before they became SquareEnix) last game. They were going through some serious financial problems, and it was basically a last-ditch effort to save the company. As it turned out, the game proved to be wildly successful, and they therefore continued making them. Forever.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I used to love FF games when they were RPG's, but ever since they only started making MMO's I can't stand them I personally refuse to pay a monthly fee for their games since their are so many of them.

4. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, this person is right. That's what happened.

Similarly, Dead or Alive (the fighting game franchise) got its name because its success would determine if the company was dead or alive, haha.

It's pretty nice that these companies found such success stories, though sometimes I feel that Square-Enix should be nearing bankruptcy again so they stop pushing out mobile crap!

5. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

From what I remember had also thought about naming the game Fighting Fantasy, but, as jardantuan said, Final Fantasy was a more apt name because Square was expecting that the release of the game would solve their financial issues.

6. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Square nearly died. Ironicly they still did but many years later and was reborn after the merger of square and enix into Squeeenix.

7. Narukami

Some people would argue that Square-Enix is dead nowadays too ;)

8. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

It was supposed to be their last game lol every final fantasy fan should know that :)
    ahh but they're dying now so it probably will be

9. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

Interesting. Though I play the games, I actually never knew the story behind the name for this franchise/series. XD

10. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I did not know that at all. I learned something new today about final Fantasy haha. I love the game especially the new ones and I am hoping that the return of lightning is good. :)

11. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Welp, that was pretty enlightening. I never thought that a company like Square (with all their creative talents) was in the brink of bankruptcy. What games did they release before they developed Final Fantasy? Were they really crappy? Anyways, I'm just glad that Square was able to get over the hump. Or else, Final Fantasy would have been really what its title implied. A the end of a fantasy of a game developer.

12. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

It was called Final Fantasy because Square Enix was unsure if the game would be popular at the time and they weren't expecting it to be as popular as it did become. But yeah, the above commenter pretty much hit the nail on the head about everything.

13. mmchayle

mmchayle Member

It was Square Enix last try at RPG games due to bankruptcy and the series to their surprise, took off and never looked back.

14. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I played only the first two chapters and as fas as I remember I didn't really like them so much infact I didn't continue to plaything. Too much boring stuff and also the storyline wasn't that catchy to me,

15. Narukami

They released a LOT of games before Final Fantasy. Look at it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_video_games

About twenty games before Final Fantasy. Most of them were Japan only. Pretty much every single one was unsuccessful. So they saw what Enix was doing with Dragon Quest, and saw that it was really popular and decided to make Final Fantasy based on that formula, all of the company's hopes riding on that one game. Had it bombed, Square would have died off shortly after, but we all know that's not at all what happened. It was a huge hit and spawned one of the most popular gaming franchises to date. The rest is history.

16. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

I find it funny that such a huge franhise as Final Fantasy was their last resort. Imagine if Final Fantasy 1 didn't kick off, we wouldn't have any of the later amazing Final Fantasy games, and I think the entire gaming industry would be a bit different. Many of the FF games set a standart for many other RPG and even non RPG games to look up to.

17. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

I believe the series is called Final Fantasy as Square Enix who was then known as Square at the time developed and created Final Fantasy as their last ever game anticipating that the game would not sell extraordinarily well but maybe sell well enough that they wouldn't be crippled with debt when they closed down. But as we all know it sold supremely well and Square was saved became SquareSoft years later and then Square Enix, Even if the commercial faliureof the Spirits Within movie almost stopped Enix from going through with the merger.

Squares other game of note prior to Final Fantasy I believe is 3D Road Runner

18. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member Regular

I think the developer of the game did not know that other games will follow to form a series. He thought the first game he was developing would be the last one. That is why he decided on this name 'Final'