Why Dead Space 3 Is Going To Suck

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Teddy Picker, Jan 26, 2013.

1. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

An acquaintance of mine says it's the exact opposite; according to him it's not challenging either but rather unfair in the sense that (much like its predecessors) the game activates its cheap horde mode every five minutes, overwhelming the player with goons because the objectives are so incredibly boring, which smacks of piss poor game design. He absolutely loathes the checkpoint system and the fact that the bench/store has been completely redone for the worse. He mentioned something about getting useless upgrades for his weapons that would only serve a purpose if the game was played in co-op and that those upgrades cannot be sold or traded for something else. Apparently the main villain - a Scientology Unitology cult head - and the rest of the characters are a bunch of annoying distractions from what is, so far, a terribly dull story.

2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I think that acquaintance might be you..... :rolleyes:

3. cerberus

No, Cerberus is playing infinitely better games like Abe's Exoddus, Sanitarium and Condemned. Actually, Sanitarium isn't all that great.

4. Actually I agree with most of it. Everything was fine untill I decided to go to one of the earlier levels.

That checkpoint system is absolutely fucked. If you choose to replay a chapter, it loads your latest character instead of the one you had at the time.

You can go to early chapters with the character from the end game. Farm the first levels and get infinity+1 equipment.

WTF.

#24 Komodo Saurian, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  5. cerberus

^ EDIT: That sounds a lot like that dismal RE5 game. One could replay the first few chapters ad infinitum to collect treasures and sell them for infinite amounts of credits. Like I said, piss poor game design.

---

Eurogamer review (7/10)
    Gamespot video review (8/10)
    Gametrailers video review (7.7/10)
    Video gamer review (5/10)

---

EDIT: Surprise, surprise. DLC.

#25 cerberus, Feb 5, 2013
  6. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I began playing it last night. Some aspects of it are commendable - as in what it is trying to hold on to. There are expansive spacewalk scenes where the OST is immaculate, i.e. something bred from the soundtracks from Alien and The Thing. Sadly there are a ton of horde mode style attacks, but the introductions of each necromorph are something in themselves, and I've made the game actually rather hard for myself. At each bench, where one can create weapons or manage inventory and the like, I sell all of my ammo, so as to get away from how the developers were trying to defile the game. The game is still absolutely none-percent near as good as the last two, but there are solutions to some of its problems, and above all else - it is interesting to see the relationship between Isaac and Ellie unfold/interesting to see more of the Dead Space atmosphere.

My two cents.

7. cerberus

Saw some gameplay footage, I noticed Ellie's right eye was fine... Is this explained in DS3? Is DS3 happening inside Isaac's head? Or did DS2 never happen? Is DS3's Ellie a doppelgänger from a tangent universe? Or... Did the developers simply fuck up?

8. DS1 has a prosthetics cloning lab on Ishimura where they grow body parts and organs. With an entire shelf dedicated for fingers. Because, you know, accidents happen.

We've seen Ellie with both eyes in one of the earliest trailers too. Generated a shitstorm from people who don't pay attention.

Isaac also has a text log in his appartment detailing that they found a replacement eye that they could afford and now her eyes are different in colour.

9. cerberus

Didn't watch any of the trailers but I stand corrected.

#29 cerberus, Feb 5, 2013
  10. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

11. cerberus

Giant Bomb review (3 stars)

"In addition to the standard new-game-plus mode that offers better upgrade items, there's Classic, which disables co-op and limits you to weapons from the first game, and Pure Survival, where the only way to get ammo and health items is by crafting them. Then there's Hardcore, which lets you save as much as you want but forces you to start the whole game over if you die. At all. If you do end up liking the game (and I did like it, despite its faults), these sorts of modified difficulty types are a great feature to see."

Cool. Less cool is that one must suffer through approximately twenty hours(?) of gameplay to unlock the bloody thing.

12. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

checking some gamplay and stuff the game still seems to action based on hardcore and the likes.

13. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

My issue is that even though you can disable co-op it should have never even come up in the meeting. Micro-transactions? Now if they gave the game for free or for half price then that's a fair thing, but when you sell the game at full retail price and then charge people for cheats that's just wrong.

14. cerberus

There.
    [YOUTUBE]oerW8ABV6aQ[/YOUTUBE]

15. icedragon15

icedragon15 Well-Known Member

nice karma to ea for fucking ruining ds3

16. cerberus

Read on Eurogamer today that a patch for the game already surfaced. Whether it fixes the glitch hasn't been confirmed but better safe than Sony sorry, the solution is as follows: decline the update and play anyways.

17. cerberus

18. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

I love how EA is blaming the developers. It's just sad how EA says "Make the game have only action and microtransactions" then when the game fails they say "You can't develop a game so you're gone". It's just...I can't express my hate. I love the Mass Effect series and the Battlefield series but I'm regretting supporting EA.

19. Cheaptricks

Cheaptricks Well-Known Member

I have almost completed DS3 on hard and I am loving every minute of it. (I have stopped to play Tomb Raider*FREAKING GREAT GAME BTW*).

DS3 feels very satisfying to play, they did NOT stray from their creepy style of gameplay and shock-factor scenes.

Lots of new guns to play with and building weapons is fun and there are plenty of combinations to build.

The space sequences are magnificent, and I cant wait to play through the first portion of the game again just for the space parts.

The only graphical improvement really is just facial features and skin texture. Aside from some very stunning backdrops.

Loved this game, dont care what any1 says!

20. cerberus

Got to play it myself about a week ago. Couldn't disagree more with what you said. You can like it all you want, that's fine, but this game is absolute bollocks. The pseudo-horror/shock elements are about as predictable as the sun rising in the morning.