What the hell?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Concerns' started by dahksinol, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

Why is there such an increase of spamage lately? i mean, seriously, what the hell just happened to our filter?

2. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

What filter?

3. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

We need more admins, it's an invasion!!!

4. TESTEROFSPAMFILTER

TESTEROFSPAMFILTER New Member

Just made this account to check for any form of filters, and the only one was where I was asked where which colour the sky is. :eek:hwell:
    Now, if I was a bot, I could actually make 70 threads about how wonderful iPhone 7G 24k gold was for only 2$, if I wanted to.

5. dahksinol

Yep, we're screwed if we don't find a remedy to this solution soon. But, even while we're taking them down, we're not able to keep up against the incessant horde of spammers. Seriously, it's like the spambots just when crazy this week! I think we need another Moderator, one that can cover the areas the Skaara and Von are offline. This is just getting out of control and if this goes too far, we lose activity from new and old members. We lose activity, we lose life. We lose life... well, there goes another Metro Forum I enjoyed being a part of. Sayanora Lastlight Forum. It was good knowing you. Just like the old Metro 2033 Forums back during the merge. Just... gone...

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree, I think the spam has reached a point where we need more than just two moderators. Skaara and Von Streff are doing their best, but they can't be everywhere at the same time. :( Also, is there not a way to ban the IP address they're coming from?

7. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Well, they probably use sleeper pc's and vpn servers if they're smart :(

8. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think 2 moderators are enough, theres gotta be other way to decrease the spammers.

9. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

If there was a way, I think Luster would have done it by now.

10. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

There is a ton of spam here, and Luster is looking for solutions... :(

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Just logged on to see a shitload of spam in the Trash Bin, and a shitload in Introductions as well.
    As much as I don't like to say this, I must unfortunately say that I think we are being targeted. All of the spambots are from Eastern China, and several are from the same places, and half of them almost have the same IP, just with one to three different digits in 'em.

But don't worry. Me and Von are getting them away while Luster is working on a solution, so they'll most likely be gone soon enough :)

12. dahksinol

Is there anything we can do to help?

13. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Not to put on even more pressure or anything, but this is the users online list from a few minutes ago:
    [​IMG]

14. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Luster has many other gaming forums running so I hope he is taking this seriously.

How would a newbie or a lurker feel who happens to stumble across this site only to see the site bombarded with spam? They will think the site has been neglected and is not active because of it and simply not register or not post here at all.

Then we have THQ staff who come here too, having the site degenerate to this level is not professional or leaving a good impression.

As a regular member whilst understanding the admins are doing their best to remove spam - I'm getting tired of logging in during various times of the day and seeing the forum in a sorry state.

If Luster is working on a solution I think he should pry himself away from the other forums or whatever he is doing and make some statement, because assigning additional admins is clearly NOT WORKING!!

15. Skaara Dreadlocks

It's not solving the problem permanently, no, but it is definitely helping to a degree. As said, there's no need to worry, as Luster is working on it. Wether it takes a day, a week, a month, he will find a way to fix it in the end and stop this. Meanwhile, we are keeping it down as much as possible. There's no need to worry about the forum becoming unpopular or in the worst case crashing. We will have it fixed soon enough, and people will keep finding this forum, especially after the game's release date.
    As shown in Darkbringer's screenshot, there's an increase in spambots, but also guests. Thirty guests is a lot, really. So don't worry about it ;)

16. dahksinol

I wish there was some way we could get into Luster's D6 and set up a mission to wipe out these spammers for good. Even though Skaara's words are reassuring, Majnu still has a point. Possible followers to his great benevolence (that's me if you're a tad bit too slow) would shun this place as I would if I found it as it is now. I keed, I keed.

But seriously, if they all share the same IP, why can't we just IP ban them? Doesn't that usually work? What do they do to bypass the usual defenses? I'm really curious about this sudden spike of spammage lately.

17. stevetheranger

stevetheranger Well-Known Member

why the hell did they target our site:mad: bastards

18. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, sorry guys. I come in once every few days atm, wish I could be here more often, but life is playing me rough! :D Anyway, time to kill a few spambots!

19. Skaara Dreadlocks

I've been absent the whole weekend, sorry. But at this very moment, I am sacrificing my school lessons to delete these spambots instead :p
    They have different IPs, just with a few different digits, so IP banning them would probably not work. I don't think I even can IP ban.

20. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

Isn't it easier that a member needs to be level 5 to make a thread? Those spambots can't make treads then, looks like an easy way to stop them.