Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by BORIS13, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

dat vid = LEGOLAS ARCHERY SKILL 100! :lol:

I had high hopes for this game to actually concentrate on survival gameplay elements but I've pretty much lost all of that hope now. From the videos I've watched, everything looks very linear and scripted. Combat looks unrealistic (for example, like I mentioned earlier: she's shooting those arrows like Legolas). I've also read a PC Gamer preview, from which I found out that many of the climbing sequences are filled with scripted events - such as Lara struggling and slipping multiple times, but the player cannot assist even through QTEs at those times. Also, the preview said that the survival gameplay elements are completely scripted. For example: at some point in the game, you are told that Lara is hungry and must eat something to survive. The game then tells you to hunt a deer and only once you do that, the plot will progress further. This process probably repeats itself at multiple points throughout the game to give the player the illusion that it's not scripted. If it doesn't repeat, then the developers are even dumber than I expected.

Apart from all that, I love the look of the game. I wouldn't say that Lara is a sex object in this game - at least I personally can't tell from what I've seen. Obviously, they made her to look attractive, but also realistic. There are no huge implants or an unnatural body this time... however, she probably is made out to be a sex object in the whole game (I bet she is since that's what usually happens in games with female protagonists/important characters), I'm just saying that what I've seen so far hasn't really shown me that she is meant to be just a sex object. Anyway, all the game looks like to me now is a rip-off of Uncharted and a much less exciting, though more wannabe-realistic one at that.

2. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure it has always been the other way around but I see what you mean, yes.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well, yeah, I see what you mean by that too. However, I'd argue that the original Tomb Raider games did everything quite differently from the Uncharted series. Even though they're in the same genre, I think Uncharted has always been more about combat and less about platforming than TR ever was. This new iteration of Tomb Raider looks a lot more action-packed and a lot less clever.

4. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Preordered, can't wait. It kinda replaced Metro for me, since that is totally confusing right now.. Hope they get some solid news out soon.

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Tru dat, bro... tru dat.

6. cerberus

7. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

interesting. Specs are not high but fetures are nice. seems nicely optimized. Unlike 90% of the console ports we get.

8. cerberus

9. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

I'm not into TR much but the reviews look good. Seems like a good game.

10. BORIS13

BORIS13 Well-Known Member

Tomb Raider (2013)

So anybody has this game? i got it a while back and as a tomb raider fan i must say it is amazing! The only two downsides that i found is one, there was a little too much action in it in my opinion. Since tomb raider was always a "exploring" type of game. And two, id loved it if they had a little bit more exploring and puzzles like the previous games did. To make it more of a natural challange.

Opinions? :)

11. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep.Played it last week.It's a good game.Not a good Tomb Raider game though. It feels more like Uncharted with boobs :D
    Too much shooting and not much exploring and i'm kinda the missing mystery from the previous games. TRA was great, lots of exploring, puzzles, pyramids, big dinosaur etc. :D TR2013 is filled with button mashing and explosive set pieces. What i hated on the pc were the QTE's - they were kinda confusing.Sometimes the game asks you to press action button,but both F and E button are action buttons. I can't remember how many times i've died trying to figure out what the game wants me to do. Other than those little gripes i have with the game i think it's a great action/adventure.

#31 Keegan83, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
  12. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Everyone here must agree its a $%@ LOAD better than angel of shitness, anyone who is still uncearten of buying it i wholehartedly recommend The angry Joe shows review on youtube (he does it propperly 6=good and so on) i think he gave it a 9/10 (rare for him) and a badass seal of aproveal (he only givin out four)

13. GrinderX9

GrinderX9 Active Member

most admit Tomb raider (2013) is the best game I have playd in a very long time. Personaly for me, it was a 10\10 game :)

14. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I give it a 8/10. Gameplay felt a bit I don't know generic to me ;)

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'll admit I was really sceptical towards this game before it's release, but damn how wrong I was about (some) of it.

The new Tomb Raider is a really engrossing and exciting game to play. Tbh, I never found the older Tomb Raider games that fun or immersive. This reboot of the series hooked me in from the start and just didn't let me go. The story is great and could have been brilliant had it stayed mature and not turned into a revenge story in the latter half. The visuals are beautiful even on the console versions. The new Lara Croft really is a fantastic character and now my favourite female protagonist in gaming (she beats FemShep, in my opinion). Most of the other characters in supporting roles are also pretty good and very likeable, even though some of them are just filler.

The gameplay is a lot more action-oriented than the older TR titles. It's a lot more about combat now and the platforming is more linear, but it's still really entertaining to play. I actually liked it more than the older TR games since I'm not into platforming that much. TR2013 really does play a lot like Uncharted, but it has a differnt atmosphere and plot. This game feels a lot grittier and more realistic... some of the kills are just brutally disgusting. Although Lara is portrayed as finding it hard to kill humans at first, even when she starts shooting them down one by one later the game is still self aware (with Lara being frightened about just how easy she found killing the other enemies in the first area).

There is perhaps a bit too much QTEs -but since I played on the PS3, I didn't find them that bad at all. Also, the multiplayer (although fun at times) is completely unnecessary. MP has no place in a singleplayer story-based game such as this. It's just a cheap way to prolong the game's life and make obtaining the platinum trophy more difficult.

Overall, I'd say the game is an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 for me - I'll probably decide soon since I plan to write a review. :)

16. Skaara Dreadlocks

I just bought and finished this game. Yes, I can guarantee that Lara is definitely a sex-object. At least to me.
    The game is absolutely amazing! The movement mechanics, weapon mechanics. I love how they put in physics-puzzles like there is in the Half-Life 2 games. I absolutely loved the Bow&Arrow thing, and the other weapons were great as well. I loved all the climbing and jumping, it really gave me a sense of having an agile and easily movable character.

Reading some of the previous posts in this thread, I do agree that it was a bit overkill with all the unnecessary explosive barrels, all the explosions, all the building and structures just falling apart as you run across it. There was a lot of action, maybe a bit too much. I would also sure love some more Cinematic cutscenes. The game was also unrealistically gory and bloody at several points, especially where Lara falls into a huge pit of pretty much blood and guts, surrounded by walls covered in flesh and meat and bones.

One thing I liked was scavenging for parts throughout the game that you could use to upgrade your weapons, and the weapon-upgrades were really creative considering how they had to be limited to jerry-rigging, like taping together mags for faster reloading, as Lara doesn't have the technology required to actually upgrade weapons properly. One thing I disliked, though, was how you could simply just transform your weapon into another when you got a high enough upgrade. Like turning an old M9 into a Colt, then into a Magnum. The old rifle into an AK. The trench shotgun into pump shotgun and then into a combat shotgun. And worse of all, the bow made from a tree-branch into a recurve bow, then compound bow, then competition bow.

I did, however, enjoy looking at Lara throughout the whole game. It was an interesting, beautiful and attractive view that kept me going onwards as her clothes got more and more tears and holes the further you got in the game. I took a huge motherload of screenshots, most of them just being of Lara :lol:

All in all, this is now one of the best games I have played, and Lara is definitely one of my favorite characters. My #1 favorite female-character, in fact. 9.5/10