The Tower Pack

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Rhodium, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

Well that was hard !

Alot harder than the main game or the other extra levels - total unrelenting ferocity ! :)

Do you think they were having a laugh when they put this together ?

Anyway..my question was regarding scoring - is there any difference in potential score between choosing 'normal' and 'high' or 'highest' difficulty rooms ? or for playing on hardcore ranger mode ?

I just finished playing on normal to begin with and on the second challenge, where you first have a choice of doorways, I chose the middle one 'high', and then for all subsequent ones I chose 'highest' and finished at 242 on the leaderboard.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to improve my score by replaying in ranger hardcore or choosing 'highest' for all of them. I love hard challenges lol :)

Presonally, although the game is great fun to play, I'd have liked it to be a bit harder...anybody else feel this way ?

2. I haven't done any research into this, to be honest, but when I've beaten the DLC on ranger hardcore, I was at the top of the leaderboards at the time.

I assume the difficulty of the game itself doesn't really do anything, as the DLC seems to be tailored for normal mode, but the difficulty of each challenge does, as well as the time of its completion.

3. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

Kudos for coming top Komodo, way to go ! :)

My excuse is that I am fast approaching 50 and my reflexes and eyesight are not what they used to be :lol:

4. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

Well I completed another play through this weekend, choosing the highest difficulty each time, and managed to get myself to 81st which I'm quite happy with :)

From what I can make out there isn't going to be any further games which is a shame as I have really enjoyed my time in the metro.

Oh well, now I have the task of trying to 'get into' the Borderlands pre-sequel which the missus pre-ordered for the 360 - got to say it's a bit of a let down so far...:(

5. SpartanKobe

SpartanKobe Member
    Regular

Holy crap I did it. I can't believe it. Took me hours just to figure it out. All I needed really was an ak and a preved. :DDDD

Can't believe it. All that time I was trying to find the perfect loadout and all I needed was an AK and later on RPK. lol

6. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes you just have to take the simplest path, and the one with the most bullets at the fastest rate of expulsion.:sad:

7. SpartanKobe

SpartanKobe Member
    Regular

So I did The Tower multiple times, and aside from a few little mistakes and whiffs(and screwing around with shit weapons XD) leading to my death, I figured out the best way of doing everything and I'm not sure if it's what you guys expected.

1st Mission(warning, this strat requires a ton of good, non-yielding aim): Sit behind the cinder wall cover that is between the two staircases that are right in front of the two entry ways. Either have your sight between the two entryways or on one of them. For the first 3 rounds, when you see someone coming, you need to quickly flick to their head and shoot. That's the only clean way I can think of for finishing the first 3 rounds, because spraying them down would result in you having to reload a lot sooner while a wave is ongoing, allow them to run through the entrance and shoot at you, fucking up your recoil, then allowing others through because you can't aim because of said recoil. When there's a "break" in the middle of rounds, quickly run back to those three free resupplies and grab one and then go back. At the last round, you need to switch to Military Grade Rounds if you want to cleanly headshot the armored guys. Don't worry about headshotting the non-armored ones though, because MGR's to the body will one-shot them. This is hard, I admit. I play a ton of CSGO where my aim is complimented, and this is at the high ranks on that game. I have never been able to get all clean headshots for the entire mission. I've come close, though, and just now I've been able to hold them all off without them getting through at all.

2nd Mission: AK47 and the Quad Duplet. You would actually want to camp around the back right corner of the map because then the mutants will only try to go at you from the downward ramp and upward ramp that are right in front of you, minus the winged ones that will try to scream at you of course. When you see a ton of them coming, just throw fire grenades at the ramps(IMPORTANT NOTE: To block off one area completely, you need to throw two fire grenades in one general area, otherwise the mutants will just run right through it. Even then, the glowing green ones that go super-fast can charge right through those so be ready!). Resupply on fire grenades and ammo when there is a break in the middle of, or between, rounds(the supply kits on the platform you spawn on have fire grenades). You can also buy the supply kits near the back-right corner, but they don't have fire grenades :( Usually, the mutants will try to come at you from one narrow angle and so it's actually viable for you to throw 2-3 grenades right in front of you. They also like to stop when they get close to you, and will sit in the fire lol. Other notes: Remember that simply hitting a mutant with the Quad won't guarantee a kill, even on Ranger Hardcore. You need to actually hit their bodies or heads, not just graze them. You have tons of Claymores and Fire Nades against enemies that charge at you stupidly! Use them!

3rd Mission: Bring a Valve and an AK47. At the beginning, use the Valve to pick off the mutants as they go slowly in the water. Save up enough MGR's to buy a pair of guards at the top of the stairs, then buy the ones right below the catwalk, then buy the other pair of guards to the opposite side of where you bought the other guards on the catwalk. Here comes the funny part: I think it's actually better that you sit in the front of the entire battle for most of the fight(if you have to fall back that's fine) because it takes the aggro off of your aimbot guards so they can do a ton of damage while the stupid AI is busy killing you. Hey, maybe you can even just stay in the front and run around in circles so the mutants can't hit you XD. But yeah the guards are a lifesaver. They're aimbotters with unlimited ammo. Just make sure they don't die and they'll do most of the work for you. Remember you get a free resupply right below the catwalk three times! Try to use everything before you take a supply kit! Throw all your fire grenades at the gates to let your guards shoot at other things!

4th Mission: Valve and AK47. Sit on the platform you spawn on and try to HS them as they come out. Save up enough for the two aimbot guards on said platform. Then buy the heavily armored aimbots at the back of the first floor when you kill enough enemies. Then go up to the second floor where you can buy the snipers and that's about it. Just stick your head out a whole bunch of fire off a couple of Valve or AK shots at enemies and you're good. They'll be aggro'd to you and then they'll try to get to you and then they'll charge at your armored guys who will HS them immediately rofl. Also, buy the snipers when you get the chance. Just be careful for the snipers with the green laser sights. They can kill you in like two shots. Only stick your head out just enough to get a shot off. You don't need to peek that wide. Just stay on the second floor and jiggle peek the railing.

5th Mission: Doesn't matter what gun you bring actually lol. I would think that the devs intended for you to use it as some kind of last resort weapon like in the final battle for D6, but you can actually just pick up the gatling gun immediately and crank it up. Then just blast em as they charge at you until you get enough money to buy all the armored aimbotters at the left and right side of the map. You get 3 supply kits that will give you gatling gun ammo so you don't need to use any other weapons. Just mow down all the librarians and nosalises and fall back if you must. As long as you keep on gunning down the librarians your aimbotters can focus on shooting the other mutants. REMEMBER TO KEEP CRANKING UP YOUR GATLING GUN FOR MUCH HIGHER DPS!!!!

Important note for all: Equipment is so underrated in this game. Two fire grenades covering the right area/angle(that could be right in front of you) and every normal mutant that runs into it dies. Claymores are a one hit kill if they just run right into it. Remember, two claymores OR two fire grenades can be enough to take down one librarian! That's how powerful they are. USE YOUR EQUIPMENT EVEN IF YOU CAN'T USE IT EFFICIENTLY! IT CAN SAVE YOU A TON OF BULLETS! IT'S NOT JUST YOUR TWO GUNS AND THROWING KNIVES LOL!

Maybe I'll just make a youtube video too just to show instead of tell.