Terrible Framerate on Frontlines

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion & Support' started by Potarto, May 24, 2014.

1. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Finally got around to playing the DLC on PC, having originally played it on Xbox before I had a gaming rig. Decided to test out my system a bit since I got a second 660 ti for SLI.

So, uh, Frontline is an unplayable mess. Sits at around 5 FPS. Goes back to around 70-80 when I pause, once I unpause it immediately slows back down. Sound clips themselves play perfectly fine with no audible stutters or anything, but the timing is obviously all off (i.e. the minigun firing at around 100 RPM). Other missions, the rest of the game, it all works fine, but this mission...I turned off SLI to make sure that wasn't an issue, reduced the settings to make sure it wasn't GPU-involved, and that got me back maybe a single frame.

So, pretty sure it's a CPU issue. FX 6300 in my rig, very mild overclock on all six cores to just force them at 4 GHz. Looking at task manager, and while none of the cores are maxed out, I'm pretty sure Metro Last Light only takes advantage of four, and they're all sitting appropriately at around the 70-80% range (since programs will still show the load split up even if the program is only threaded for a smaller number).

Obviously this must have passed QA somehow, and I'm sure that most of you playing on PC have managed to get past this somehow (and a quick forum search didn't get me anything showing this previously being brought up), so does anybody have any ideas on how to make this actually playable?

Edit: I'm also having major, similar framerate issues in the Spider Lair pack that happen whenever I get in combat with a large group of spiders. The fire stuff doesn't seem to help, and whenever a group gets near, my framerate just tanks.

#1 Potarto, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  2. Skaara Dreadlocks

I unfortunately had the same issue with the Spider lair. When there were many spiders, and I was using the flamethrower, I was just extremely lucky that I didn't die because I had probably less than 1 FPS at the worst sometimes. Otherwise, it was manageable. I also had that problem with the Tower Pack, and it was fatal. I couldn't even beat the first wave. Strangely enough, this happened after I upgraded my computer.
    (Then again, I had never played any of the DLCs packages on my previous computer, but I know that 2033 and LL was playable on the previous computer).

Anyway, my guess is that it's the ammount of AIs and the ammount of effects that pushes hardest on the CPU and maybe the graphics card? I have no idea how to fix this problem, though. That's why I'm hoping that Metro Redux will be so very well optimised that I can play it fine even with the revamped graphics.

3. Turn off advanced PhysX as well as Vertical sync. You could also drop the AA setting down a notch, but as far as I remember the only options were 16x and 4x, so it won't help all that much. If you are having problems here, you will have the same problem in the Reactor room in D6, keep that in mind.

The biggest problem with these areas in M2033 is the advanced DOF and it can't be fixed at this point in the original games. Maybe Redux will adress these issues.

Actually it's this...

[YOUTUBE]9kyrVsiNZOU[/YOUTUBE]

...and it's slow to begin with. They are also conserving ammunition.

Either way it works fine for me on a single GF GTX 580 and it even lets me record it at 60 FPS in 1080p.

[YOUTUBE]GxtYbUYjpiE[/YOUTUBE]

The same goes for Spider lair:

[YOUTUBE]XIskKzNh4xA[/YOUTUBE]

#3 Komodo Saurian, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  4. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Well, shit. I had found and disabled Physx the first time around, but I guess it never actually changed that until I relaunched the game today. Obviously must have been pushing it onto the CPU as well. Weird, I don't remember getting a message saying to restart for some reason. Went through Frontline again today to double check all my settings one last time and BAM, worked perfectly. No clue why they don't keep that setting in the Video Options menu, and no clue how it got disabled in the first place (guessing maybe Geforce's optimizer thingy somehow messed with it when I added a second card?).

If that's a joke, it's a well constructed one. I of course meant the minigun that Hans uses during Heavy Squad.

[​IMG]

The one that normally spins up to around 800 RPM.

#4 Potarto, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  5. chris89

chris89 Member

I had to uninstall Physx to avoid crashes with the Pump Pneumatic metal rod gun. I'm running a 4.2ghz i7, and 2 GTX 460's in SLI.

What driver are you using?

I can tell you for sure just as straight as it comes the 314.22's kept the game more stable but fps suffered by about 20fps less than the latest beta 340.43s....

I was seeing 60fps solid with physx on gpu #2 all maxed very high tesselation etc. Continuously nice and smooth 60fps. However it tended to crash the game for some odd reason? Maybe it was the Physx driver. Because it ran super nice it was that stupid Pneumatic pump metal rod gun that would crash the game as soon as I clicked shoot. Or a creature would lunge at me and maybe it was Physx the animation which crashed it...

Went to 314.22's and that old physx driver that came with it... FPS suffered by 20fps less but it maintained a bit longer. Stil freezing on the Pneumatic Gun, so I uninstalled physx and disabled it in game and set physx to cpu in nvidia control panel.

The game didn't crash and I played through and beat the game.. Great game!

My question is what driver and config do you use for this game and ur SLI setup?

THANKS