Quantcast

Should I buy the PC version?

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by jardantuan, Nov 11, 2013.

1. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

Until a few months ago my laptop was pretty average at best, and I'd struggle to run Minecraft on anything higher than the lowest settings. It was enough to get by, but when Skyrim came out I had to buy the 360 version instead.

Fast-forward a year, and add a mishap involving a glass of water (I maaay have knocked it all over my keyboard), I was in a situation where I could (read: had to) upgrade to a better laptop. It's still not spectacular, but gaming on it is actually an option now. During this time my 360 has also descended into its final days, meaning I don't want to start Skyrim up and lose the machine once and for all.

It's left me really wanting to play Skyrim, but not really having the means to do so. It feels a bit silly buying a copy of a game I already own, but I know the PC version will be better in every way possible. I probably won't get it running on high settings, but it should just about work.

Is it worth it?

2. mevsthor

mevsthor Active Member

I'd say it is. Go for it, skyrim is fun on any console if you ask me.

3. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

I won't say the PC version is better in every possible way but its definitely worth it. I know I'll annoy a lot of console gamers but Skyrim is a game that was meant to be played on a PC.

4. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

If you're willing to mod the game and improve not only how it looks, but also a few gameplay mechanics, then the answer is yes, you should buy it.
    If you're just going to play vanilla Skyrim then I'd say it's not worth it.

5. Rowro

Rowro Active Member

Absolutely. The best thing about Bethesda games are modding them. I've gotten a ton of extra playability out of Skyrim by downloading mods. They really can completely change the way that the game plays and even add extra content to keep you busy. Plus there are tons of mods out there that make Skyrim look even better with better textures and filters.

6. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

If you have a good PC I would say yes if not I would stick with a console version.

7. Orz

Orz Well-Known Member

Depends if you think you'll ever play it again, if you know deep down inside you won't touch it for more than a few hours then its probably not worth it. The graphics are a plus but for me personally that wouldn't tempt me enough to get it on PC, if you're interested in modding the game then definitely look into it.

8. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

So the general consensus is to buy it for modding, but it's not worth it if I won't or if I won't get much play out of it.

As I said, I've been craving Skyrim for a while now. It's been a couple of years since I last played it, and I really want to get back into it. I'll definitely get enough play out of it to justify the initial purchase.

I've done a little bit of research, and apparently my laptop should be able to run Skyrim on low at ~50fps, and medium at ~40fps. It's a Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 (took the information from here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Fujitsu-Lifebook-AH532-Notebook.81495.0.html).

I know modding will probably mean performance will take a hit, but if I can manage about 30fps on medium with mods, I'd be pretty happy with it.

Looks like I'm buying Skyrim soon then!

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

I'd say it won't be a terrible decision even if you aren't thinking of modding it.

10. xarziv

xarziv Member

I would suggest to get the pc version because the console version is bad. Also you can engage the pc to your own standards .

11. erronousRogue

erronousRogue Active Member

I'm going to suggest the PC version purely based on the fact that there are mods. Seriously, it's the no. 1 selling point of any Bethesda game. Ever.

Your laptop will run it fine, and the hardware is (most likely) better than what the current gen consoles have. Also not every mod explicitly drains framerates, there are several unofficial patches and mods for various rendering and performance improvements which makes it easier to run on older devices.

Plus there are pretty huge interface overhauls which you'll need if you're playing it on a PC without a controller.

12. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Go for it, it's a wonderful game. Even if you won't be able to play it in full settings now, get it and you'll have it for the rest of your life :p But I think it'll work great!

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Skyrim is amazing on PC and I love being able to add mods. I don't really care about graphics mods but I love adding quest mods.

14. Khyru42

Khyru42 Member

If you have a PC that can handle it, I would recommend the PC version over anything else. The game is fantastic, one of my all-time favorites. Something that makes it so much better on PC is the modding community around it that not only adds a huge ton of content to the game, but there are also a lot of community bug fix patches and a ton of mods that just increase the graphical fidelity of the game even further with improved textures and shadows etc.

15. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

It depends on the kind of gamer you are. If you have a good enough PC and want the more immersive experience possible, then get it on PC.

If you are willing to spend hours downloading, installing and troubleshooting mods to extend and enhance your experience, then get it on PC. Here's my most recent mod setup. The console visuals of the game look like absolute garbage in comparison.

If you don't care about graphics and just want to play a vanilla playthrough of Skyrim and aren't much of a collectibles/items gatherer, and you already own a console, then play it on console.

16. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I heard the console versions have bad load times so even if you don't plan on moding I would still say it's a better investment I would only suggest getting it for a console is if you don't have a good gaming PC and plan on playing on low medium settings.

17. Scurventery

Scurventery Member

Skyrim actually scales to the low end fairly well, so you don't have to worry about system specs on your laptop - it'll do just fine. As several people have already mentioned, you should absolutely get it for the mods. If you buy through Steam, mods are incredibly easy to browse and install through Steam Workshop, and it's practically impossible to run out of things to do when you factor those in. They can range from small graphic tweaks to entire fan-made campaigns. Besides, the PC version goes on sale for about $10 every once in awhile, so it's not going to break your wallet.

18. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member Regular

I play on the PC and love it, so if you want to play on your PC then I would get the PC version. I like the console version too, but since there are gaming laptops in the house HDMI makes playing on the PC awesome.

19. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

You have far more options while playing on the PC (including those script commands) and also the use of developer tools to make your own custom Skyrim, its definitely worth it

20. jesuitical

jesuitical Well-Known Member

Yep, agreed with everyone above. Mods are the best part. Even if you don't want to have "cheat" mods, there are mods that slightly alter mechanics, or even act as expansions. Definitely worth it.

Also, you said something about your performance with mods installed, it shouldn't actually be a problem if your computer can already run the base game, what's a few hundred Mb more to do?