Shadow Warrior (1997)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by NuclearWastE3, Oct 10, 2014.

1. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Shadow Warrior is a game like Duke Nukem 3D -except that you play as an Asian guy called Lo Wang. It is also made by the same people who made Duke Nukem 3D, 3D Realms; so you can expect fast paced, first-person shooter, action. Over the years, 3D realms decided to release Shadow Warrior for free, on Steam, which you can get here. I have not played much of Shadow Warrior to say that it is game good, but considering that it was only made a year after Duke Nukem 3D, I have pretty high hopes for it.

Here's a screenshot I took of Lo Wang sliceing a monster demon in half:
    [​IMG] As you can see, it was pretty violent for its time.
    There is an alternate method of playing shadow warrior if you do not want to download the 1GB of stuff that it comes in through steam (though, there is only one side effect). Of course, you may know about how people make source ports of older games and use things such as Dos Box (you can download the dox box version, but if you're going to do that, then I suggest you get the steam version instead because it is the same thing, only better). There was this one guy who made this thing called Shadow Warrior SWP. It allowed people with the retail version to be able to play Shadow Warrior on modern systems by copying one of the config files over from the retail version into SWP (if you want to read up on it, just look it up on the website). Anyway, the guy stopped updating the thing and it seemed like he never figured out how include all of the music files in there; so that is the down side, no in-game music (unless you use some generic midi file things that I know how to enable). In other words, if you want to fight while listening to the soundtrack of the game, get the steam version. If you don't mind listening to the same 4 tracks over and over get the SWP -plus, SWP and the retail config file is only about 50 MB compared to the 1GB if you get the steam/dosbox version.

So here is the fun part. I have the retail version of SW. I have the config file which SWP requires -which I uploaded for you, here. Do not worry, it's perfectly legal. 3D Realms made Shadow Warrior for free on steam, so it's okay to distribute these files freely. Since I also have the original version, I am able to access the music via the CD. The only problem though is that I don not know where the exact music files are, so I wouldn't be able to upload them to you individually. Instead, I would have to upload the entire CD (about 75MB) and you would have to copy the files and listen to the music like that. Another thing: with the CD version of the music, it's way, way, too loud. SO there are pro and cons to either versions of Shadow Warrior.

2. This game is classic and pretty fucking awesome, although it's rather dated.

Also the FOV makes me nauseous, so those who have a history of trouble playing older games should keep that in mind.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I may try out the Steam version one day, but my backlog of games I haven't even tried yet is too large at this moment. I've had mixed experience with the Steam versions of older games though. I think GOG generally handles things better in terms of compatibility and stability, which I guess makes sense considering the fact that they started off by re-releasing only older games and gradually moved on to newer titles.

4. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Outdated graphics for the world!

It seems like the decision of keeping SW free is permanent, so it should still be there when you get the chance. And the Shadow Warrior SWP thing I also linked. If you get the steam version, you can use SWP to download and play the expansion packs. Steam has included the two expansion pack in Shadow Warrior Redux version, but you have to pay for that version. Pretty stupid considering 3D Realms released the expansion packs for free on their website but still charge for it via Steam.