Quantcast

Positive or Negative Karma

Discussion in 'Fallout' started by Valentino, May 14, 2015.

1. Valentino

Valentino Active Member

When you play Fallout do you usually play the protagonist (positive karma) or the antagonist (negative karma)? Do you do a run through of the game twice just to experience the game with both positive and negative karma?

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Negative Karma doesn't necessarily make you the antagonist of the game. That's not the ramification of the system in Fallout. Still, playing negative is far more enjoyable than going the positive karma route.

3. Zamininc

Zamininc Member

I almost always go through with negative karma, it's pretty hard to avoid. There's just too many temptations for me to steal or kill considered-to-be-good NPCs. The only time I play with good karma is when I'm actively making sure I don't do anything that would give me bad karma.

4. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I'm usually a goody two shoes, so I almost always end up with positive karma. However, every once in a while, I'll make a character solely for playing evil, and I try to be as mean to people as I can. It's really satisfying.

5. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member Regular

I usually tend to have positive karma.

That doesn't mean that I don't steal everything I can though. I just avoid killing people who don't "deserve" to die. In rare cases, I also try to not steal from them.

Theoretically, I'd like to play the game again as an evil character, I just never do.

6. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I almost always play positive Karma, but I have at times deviated from the usual and chosen to do negative Karma. It's definitely more fun playing a 'rogue' at times. Though I wish bad Karma did more than just cause grief for some NPC's. I wish that players can truly play 'bad' characters. Unfortunately, all RPG's are veered towards rewarding good players.

7. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I just do whatever I want and feel is right at any given moment, so I manage to accrue both positive and negative karma all the time. For some reason, though, it seems like it's MUCH easier to get and maintain positive karma than negative karma...

8. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I'm normally all for good karma, but I did try playing as a neutral character doing a negative action after a positive one just to keep everything in balance. It's a lot harder to maintain this stance since I constantly find myself doing good actions since I enjoy killing evil characters, so I have to constantly steal just to make up for it. In the end, I just gave up and went back to being good while doing evil things to bad characters.

9. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

First time I almost always just play it through with tendencies towards positive karma and being good, on the second play through however I just murder everything in sight :D

10. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

I would do a run of both sides any time it's an option in RPGs. This applies to Fallout and any other games with a morality system. And if I really like a game, I do a RP-heavy playthrough trying to play neutral. That last one is extremely hard for not much reward. As most developers don't put as much, if any, effort into a neutral storyline. I usually do that last one just to wring every bit of re-playability out of a game, assuming it has no modding scene.

11. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

First play through is always Positive Karma and being as goody toshoes as I can be. The following play through I basically just murder everything in sight :D

12. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I always like to be the good guy in games. On my second playthrough of this I tried to be the bad guy but I can't stand it so Speedrun it and finished the game.

13. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

Usually I will play a full play through with positive karma, but after that its open season for head hunting. I always enjoyed the bad karma approach, especially when it fits in well with Bethesda's iconic sense of dark humor.

14. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

I try to always go the positive karma route, but it's not always possible. I found that you get negative karma for a lot more stuff than you get positive for, so going the positive route can be a lot more difficult if you are not careful.

15. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I'm a wimp, so I almost always end up with positive karma. Oops.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I run through both stages, though I first try to complete the game with the negative karma. I love seeing the evil part first, then the good! :p

17. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member Regular

I generally go for the positive karma. Going negative will eventually come back to bite me in the but, sometimes sooner than later.