Official Last Light Forum!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Concerns' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Feb 18, 2013.

?

Do you want us to become the official Last Light Forum?

1. Yes!

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Kind of..

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Neutral.

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Not really..

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. No!

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Well there wasn't much going on before the incident so I can only imagine how lonely it must be now...

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

It seemingly has been abandoned, but not shut down. Luckily for us, Deep Silver aren't able to just simply take control of the website without contacting THQ (which are pretty much dead and gone), which results in them deciding to make this the new official forum :D

3. SagaZelda

SagaZelda Well-Known Member

In the description of forum "metro: last light" there is THQ like developer. ;) (edit: on general discussion too)

Have you thought to make others forums with others languages? (spanish, german, russian, french, italian...)

#23 SagaZelda, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  4. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

Has there always been a rate this thread or was that added when i became official.

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

I highly doubt that, unfortunately.

It's not official yet, and it's not 100% sure it will be either. But the rating has always been there :)

6. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Considering that the games core audience is from Russia and that DS themselves have multi language forums I think it's better if they create there own tbh. Even though EntertheMetro was dead as a dodo the majority of people from here signed up there anyway. So the same will happen if DS do the same but this time support and update their own forums.

7. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Bad news, in my opinion. I really like this little community we've created. Everyone knows each other well, we're all colleagues and/or friends, we know what to do when or if something gets out of control on the forums, etc. We also aren't bound by any stupid regulations or laws that official forums often are limited by. This makes us a happy, free and well-informed bunch. The fact that we're not official at the moment means that we're harder to find by the Average Joe - meaning that only the most dedicated fans of the Metro franchise will look for, find and stick around on this forum. With us becoming official, we will be more heavily advertised and thus more idiots and/or "poser fans" will find their way here.

Besides that, more users of all sorts of different types could find their way here. Our friendly little community where everyone knows each other would be ruined, as it would turn into a huge place where people don't know each other well and tend to stay very private and often unkind towards each other (sometimes even suspicious to one another). Furthermore, as Skaara has pointed out, due to the influx of new members of all calibres - all of our great moderators would be forced to turn into internet policemen to keep things under control. The potential amount of trolls and assholes is also frightening.

To be honest, the only positive side to this that I can see is more contact between us, Deep Silver and 4A Games. If we become official, Deep Silver might re-establish a line of communication between the users of this forum and the developer - through the Q&A thread. However, I think this is quite unlikely. I know that Maurice is a good person and he means well for all of us. But regardless of what he wishes, says or promises - just like Joe before him - he is not the administration of the company he works at. No matter how hard he tries to convince the folks that run Deep Silver, he does not make the decisions. He can only try to persuade them, but in the end it is not up to him.

With so little time to release (assuming that the release date is still March), I doubt that Deep Silver will see much point in re-establishing contact between us and 4A. Besides, as we already know by looking at the lack of info we have received from Deep Silver regarding anything to do with Last Light ever since THQ's passing, they aren't doing a very good job of talking with 4A Games - regardless of how awesome Maurice is.

9. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I think of this too, however I realized something. All we need are more mods. that won't cuase them to need to be police. but Still I am worried.

10. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

I admit I thought it can be a good idea, however reading Bamul's post, I agree with him totally. just hope this little family we got here won't be ruined.

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

I've been thinking the same as Bamul to a minor degree, but upon seeing Bamul's post, I'm now more aware of that.
    Although we cannot be certain that Deep Silver actually does contact us more, we cannot either be certain that this forum will be "flooded" and ruin our community. But I must agree, and say that that is the most reasonable and possible outcome.
    PS: Even if we do add more moderators to deal with the ammount of people, they would still need to be like the internet-police.
    Alright, I'll put up a vote.

12. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Voted No

Cult followers should remain a mystery and exclusive. Mixing us up with common folk will make me feel dirty lol

13. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Bamul's post was extremely persuasive and shed light on the poor opinion of my past disposition. I have been awakened, and Bamul is completely right. I feel as though we should not mingle with the casual fans. To support this feeling, I should bring to light the fact that I have engaged in a couple of arguments on the THQ Last Light forum over casual fans wishing stupid features to be included in Last Light.

14. RedJacketMan

RedJacketMan Well-Known Member

I see what Bamul means, and it definitely is persuasive. This site is sort of like the small town where everyone knows each other's names, or at least recognizes everyone else. It's pretty tight knit. And getting a mass of new people creates a crowd. You ever hear of the The Law of Fan Jerkassery (sorry, I just really like TVTropes). We could get a lot of bad apples.

Still, I feel nervous about this slightly arrogant attitude we have. As if we are "real" Metro fans who look down on casual fans. I suppose its just a vague vibe, but it reeks of hipsterism ("I knew it before it was popular"). I know that being part of a cult classic fandom is awesome, but why should we be afraid to have more people like what we like?

15. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

It's not that where looking down on anyone. But on the old offical forums tons of cod noobs used to come and suggest retarded crap. People who never played 2033.

16. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

One sec. Allow me to get into my philosophical corner and think about compromises. (yes I have one.) (for real) (not even joking)
    All right here are the compromises I thought of.
    First and for most is the compromise that tech and game suggestions go on deep silvers part. thus we are happy and deep silver is happy. We get news and less noobs ruin this forum. More mods needed but not internet police. But there are two faults. one is if the metro series expands so do we in order for deep silver to keep up. Second is less visitors means less money for Harley. So its Harley :eek:hwell; us :) and deep silver :)
    The second is a bit less orthodox and more helpful to some others and less for others. In this one deep silver makes us the primary forum but also supports a comunity on their site. This one is a bit sad for harley and us. Splintering the community will lead to eventual fighting and loss of memebers. So us :( harley :( Deep silver XD
    The third is a bit harder. Deep silver uses us and them selves. they support the meto series on their forums and on ours. Like thq. the problem with this is the Pluto effect. We will start off big but eventually get very very small and deep silver will give us less support. I have 4 more smaller possibilities if you want to hear that are less orthodox.

17. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Thestalker I really didn't understand a word of that. If you'd set it up better, it'd be great :D

18. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Okay fine but be prepared for above 1000 words.

19. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

That was better (If you haven't edited anything, please forgive my last post, I had to reboot my brain after a boring school-day)

20. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

LOL wtf. I never edited anything. going to post later. In school rgiht now.