New Metro games coming, looking to making it more accessible for a broader audience

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by foda500, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Sure, there are plenty of decent shooter MMO's, but like I said, none of them really fit the atmosphere. Metro is known for using striking desolation and loneliness to build its impeccable atmosphere. Somehow, I don't think having spending half of the people in the starting area jumping around randomly and spamming trade messages would fit very well. Plus, pretty much all successful shooter MMO's are third-person, not first. (Planetside 2 is really the only real successful FPSMMO, and from what I can tell, it's just a bunch of Battlefield matches laid in a grid). MMO's in general are built around having large groups of people, and while they could certainly pull off what you're describing, it would be only similar to Metro in universe and art direction, both of which are well done, but not exactly ground-breaking enough to warrant their own game. Metro thrives on atmosphere, and an MMO would destroy most of what makes the games great.

An open world game, on the other hand, would be fantastic; the Library is still the most widely loved piece of Metro DLC, and while linearity isn't an issue, it would be incredible if they put a game out with the expansiveness and freedom of a Bethesda game.

Also, why wouldn't weapon crafting work in a Single Player game? Wouldn't it be the other way around? Lots of games like Dead Space 3 and whatnot had extremely extensive weapon customization and building, and balancing every little detail for multiplayer would be a chore.

#41 Potarto, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  2. chriswihu

chriswihu New Member

hey i have for the better part of two weeks been reading many different posts containing to the world, the experience, Artyom, how to ´better´ the game and i find a common denominator in all of them;

someone is always complaining that it isn't as dark or hard as Metro 2033.

and i think i can, with my self at least, bring it to a close, by giving my two cents on the game.

while i thoroughly enjoyed Metro 2033, i found it challenging but also very punishing when you messed up, and this were for me a let down. but i felt that the world were unique and interesting and i really, really wanted to see it again. so Metro last light were announced, released and bought and i really felt that this is all i expected, and more. but more and more article came out about how it had become dumbed-down, DLC-ridden and hardcore lacking. at the time i kinda ignored it and went on playing it instead.

and now that i read the same complaint again and again i really begin to want to express my thoughts which are as following.

i don't see the game as being dumbed-down because it was still a challenge and i still played as stealthily as i could through eight or more play troughs (wanted to get all achievements) and i feel i discovered something i think others missed. that the environment were more alive than it ever had been in Metro 2033. it was no longer just filthy and disease ridden stations turned into refuges shelter, but actual homes where people lived, raised children, build a community and tried to cope with the idea that they would perhaps never live above ground again. with the discovery of D6 rumors began to spread and it created a speck of hope in a darkened world. people began to play instruments, the celebrated with drinking and women, bandits began to look trough boxes filled with painting, not because the wanted to burn or sell them, but because the wanted something the "liked" hanging on the wall. almost every aspect of the NPC-population tried not to repair, but to build something new on top of the destruction.

the DLC which many declared were a waste of time gave the creators the ability to implement and try out things that the maybe had not had time for before the release. the idea of Kshatriya, the sniper mission and the chronicle pack all gave me a better immersion into the world because i experienced thing differently, as they were from different viewpoints. i would like to see them do this again, maybe in a co-op mode, as it added more than i initially thought it would.

and the hardcore missing is not what i felt. i pre-ordered and got the ranger mode for free so i had plenty of a challenge in this. i am also a believer that a game is only as hard as you want to make it, if you want to not kill anyone that's how you want to play.

and lastly the reason it were brighter is because this immense threat that were the dark ones has been eradicated and after every great conflict a breathing room for peace and relaxation. and we also see this in the world when Artyom and Pavel go to the surface they see a moment of sunshine trough the skies, bandits gathered around campfires and told jokes and stories which you could see when you played stealthily. and the interaction between Artyom and the little one were not just Artyom teaching the little one about humans but the both of them leaning about each other while also learning about them selves in the process. the little one sees the stupidity of man and Artyom sees the hope that the Dark ones can be.

what we also must remember is that we see things through the eyes of Artyom and how he sees things. in the first game Artyom knew he could die any moment so the world was black, white and grey for the most parts. but in Last Light there's hope, and a possibility that you can save more than just one station - in fact the entire metro. Artyom sees hope for a better tomorrow and that is reflected into the world and how it is seen.

oh yeah as this thread is for improvement of the game:
    - talking Artyom
    - more use of the dark ones powers - see through walls, mark enemies, create alternate routes only the dark one can open.
    - more improvised weapons.
    - open world a la Tomb Raider 2013 where you had different hubs with intriguing challenges and areas.
    - more customization.

thats all folks

3. Potarto

The lack of punctuation of capitalization made that a headache to read, but you actually made some pretty well thought-out points.

4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Thats what was written on all my engrish ;) exams

5. Potarto

6. nomotog

nomotog Member

I am kind of pondering the idea for dark one powers now. I like the idea from a gameplay perspective. I'd even add a possession or illusion powers to the list because that could introduce some varied gameplay. I'm kind of mixed on the native of it though. Are we bringing the little dark-one back again, or do we give these powers right to Artyom? Another thought is that the powers don't have to come from the dark ones? The metro seems to have no shortage of mystical elements you could use as your narrative justification.

#46 nomotog, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. TotalAaron

Rerember teacher comments or do you not do exams in AzibastandutchlandoffranceMK2 :)

8. Potarto

9. Defected

Defected Well-Known Member

So to sum it up. They ruined metro. I have come to except this over time, but they will not get a dime from me. Person on Steam forums stating how deepsilver wanted to use ideas from DLC into metros next game. Why do I have a feeling this coming metro will be an absolute fail?

10. TotalAaron

No they haven't "Ruined" the Metro franchise, LL was very good (prepares for shitstorm) it was better than 2033 (yes i have played both) and they continued to add great new ideas like the sandbox Ranger mission

11. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

Metro LL is way better than 2033
    the dlcs were awsome, a contnuation of the story with Artyom, Khan, Anomalies, Dark One/s and pavel if you saved him, would be great idea for the next game =)

MLL is a masterpiece, i fcking love it

12. TotalAaron

Derrame prepare for.

The perfect storm Duh duh dunnnnn!

13. hoppiplopp

hoppiplopp New Member

I guess they will add MP. I'm not interested in that myself, but I think it would help the sales a lot. When it comes to the campaign I don't really see how they could make it that more accesible. I suppose they could increase the number of enemies and add more powerful weapons. Both these things would destroy the core of the franchise though imo.

14. Potarto

It's a catch-22; if they mass-market the game, then it typically gets dumbed down and alienates their core fanbase, but if they make a really focused and tough experience, then they likely won't get the funding to really make a great game.

Of course multiple game modes does largely alleviate that issue, which is why I wish we'd get the SDK so we can get a functioning Ranger mode.

15. Skaara Dreadlocks

To make a lot of money, they'd have to adapt the game to the masses' wish.
    I wish they could make it so good, that they could adapt the masses to the game instead.
    But that'd take some real good stuff, if you ask me.

16. Potarto

Hey, Metro 2033 sold half a million copies. Not too bad for a relatively niche title.

17. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

Metro 2033 sold 1.5 Million copies :)

18. hoppiplopp

hoppiplopp New Member

What is the masses wish though? I mean M:LL is allready very linear with several scripted sequences, fairly simple resource management and controls. Ignoring MP, what changes do you think would invite more casual gamers?

19. Potarto

I meant to say a million and a half. I should probably get some sleep.

20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac Active Member

Maybe a broader approach could be including a guide on how to play with stealth vs panicking and getting wiped out like a lot do. It seems to me the main reason some people end up dumbing down perfectly good games is they want to cater to noobs that don't have a clue how to play them.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Would noobs even pay attention to a decent in game tutorial, even if it were compelling to play?