MGS5 Ground Zeroes: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheDarknessEnvelops, Mar 20, 2014.

1. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I was thinking about buying it but after reading reviews and other comments, I'm lead to believe its a glorified demo, albeit a very good demo but still, is it really worth £20 to £30

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I watched three reviews, but since I haven't played it myself and a game review is basically a person's opinion - I can't tell you my impressions of it because there are none. However, I've seen some people say that Ground Zeroes has completely convinced them to buy Phantom Pain when it comes out. Anyway, if you're a long-time fan of the MGS franchise then you should get it just for the story (it's canon and people are saying that it's great), but if the price doesn't seem right then just wait for a price drop. Who has the money to buy brand new games nowadays anyway? I pretty much always wait for a discount or buy the game years after release unless it's something I've really, really, really anticipated. ;)

#2 Bamul, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Well, it costs up to $660 or $860 here, so totally not worth it.

4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

As a die hard fan who would sell a kidney to play phantom pain HELL YEAH!!! as a normal person best to wait a bit

5. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

From what I read, it's a pretty good game, but is about four hours long in total, so whether or not that's worth the decently high price is up to you.

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

I do :rolleyes:

Wait, you what now?

7. MGS5 $60.

PS4 $600 or XBOX1 $800

8. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Its on current gen as well you know?

9. I don't own a PS3 or XBOX 360 either and I don't think hardware from 8 years ago is a great investment.

I'm also pretty sure PS4 and XBOX ONE are current gen now.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I just realized the Xbone still isn't available in Poland and plenty of other countries that make up pretty much a half of the world. :lol:

11. It's available as a preorder here as well, at least officially.

12. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

Right, I have now played it and safe to say, I've never played metal gear before and now I'm waiting for phantom pain. It might be a £10 demo but five hours in and I'm still finding different routes and things to do. There is more variation in that one level than a lot of AAA games nowadays

13. Autumnal Wanderer

Autumnal Wanderer Level 28 Ranger

So, the "big" day has gone, and I spent with this game a good 7 hours of gameplay. When it came out, it was 15€, it is worth it? Totally, every single penny. I have never seen such a great graphich and so great port like this. When I saw the first trailers I thought that my PC will never handle this game like this, so I surprised when I started to play. Oh, I lied, the Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor has same good port as this, but back to this game. I have played a lot of stealth game, but so far this have the best AI I ever seen. As for the missions, I can compare to Arma 3 showcase missions. You will have the Ground Zeroes, which is the main mission, and 5 different side ops which will represents The Phantom Pain's side missions (I hope that it will have more kind, but you understand me).

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

My brother got the game as well and I watched him play some of it. It took him just over 2 hours to beat the main mission (he was taking his time with exploring and freeing the other prisoners - I wouldn't be surprised if you could complete it in half an hour), but it already looks as though there are plenty of side objectives and other things to do. I know that not everyone is a completionist so replay value is a valid concern with games like these, but it costs less than the usual new release and the short nature of the main mission sort of successfully urges you to be a completionist. The graphics are indeed amazing; although there is nothing groundbreaking or innovative used here in terms of technology, it's still high-end graphics and the attention to detail somehow makes this game look much better than many of the more graphically advanced AAA titles. This, along with the seemingly brilliant optimisation, makes this game perform well on many systems (you don't need a killer PC to max it out and even mid-range computers can run it on ultra with 60 fps) and it doesn't feel like a port at all - it feels like something that was built from the ground up for the PC... except for the controls maybe, which are better with a controller.

As for the story, well there isn't much of it due to the short length of the main mission, but the plot is still interesting and should keep any MGS fan hooked in. Moreover, the ending is quite brilliant in how it sets the scene for Phantom Pain (though there are some gruesome bits that you might recognise from the trailers). However, I can certainly see how someone who hasn't played the previous Metal Gear games and doesn't feel connected with the characters/world of the series won't be as excited by this. They should still find it entertaining, because it's just so damn well made and the mechanics are fantastic. In terms of gameplay, Ground Zeroes feels similar to Guns of the Patriots, but it's certainly the most dynamic and least clunky MGS title yet. Overall, you could say that it is essentially a glorified demo of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, but the fact that you're given a sandbox to play with (plenty of replay value) and just how much effort went into making it should be enough to put most people's concern to the side. Besides, Phantom Pain is shaping up to be one of the best games in recent years. On a side note, it did feel a bit strange without David Hayter as Snake (even though Kiefer Sutherland does a pretty good job regardless), but I don't think Kojima would get rid of him without a good reason so perhaps there is a chance we will see a younger Solid Snake as a side character in the next one? Who knows.

In short: I wholly agree with what you guys think of the game. :)

EDIT: One valid downside that my bro pointed out is the lack of quicksaves. In the previous games, it was always clear when your game was saved as you progressed from one area to another. Here, on the other hand, the open environment makes it impossible to tell where the checkpoints are (except for obvious progression related parts). Although this isn't a much of an issue in a relatively small area like in Ground Zeroes, this might become a huge problem in Phantom Pain. In larger areas (such as the ones presented in the MGS V gameplay), the absence of a quicksave option would be painful.

#14 Bamul, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  15. Autumnal Wanderer

Autumnal Wanderer Level 28 Ranger

Well, indeed better with controller, and to be honest, I don't even tried with kb and mouse. I think in stealth games the moveing speed is more important than fast aiming, and you can better change your moveing speed with your controller. I remember only one game series who did it right on PC, it was the old Splinter Cell, where you can change your speed via mouse wheels but other than that...nothing. Not to mention that the controller vibration is very well used in this game.
    There is a lot of back story there, just you need to find and listen to the tapes :p. As for the connection with the characters...Well, I played the MGS 3 a bit about 10 years ago, nowdays I watched a lot of videos and read the background and stuff, so I feel myself pretty connected to Big Boss. As it seems to me, every game where is Big Boss the main hero is the story lesser confuseing or complicated, but more personal, thats why I better like thoose episodes.
    The autosave is indeed bad, it saves when you complete an objective, or you entering-exiting certain parts of the base.

I hope that the TPP won't have a 6-7 month delay after the console release.

About the voice actor change, I think it was a mistake that Kojima used David Hayter for both characters. Kiefer Sutherland do an awesome job, even if he not saying too much, but you can seperate Solid and Naked's character. Kojima maybe have plans for VI to unite Solid and Naked for a united game, that would complete the MGS timeline.

#15 Autumnal Wanderer, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014