Metro Redux rumors: official response

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Professor Pew, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Professor Pew

Professor Pew Well-Known Member

Hi all!

You've probably seen the rumors or "leaked" image of something called Metro Redux by now. We have an official response to that:

========================================================

A short letter to the Metro fans - past; present; and future...

Metro Redux. You may have heard of it... even though you probably shouldn't have!

We could issue a 'We do not comment on rumour and speculation' statement and pretend this never happened. They're pretty boring to read. They're also pretty boring to write.

So we're going to comment on rumour and speculation instead.

Is Metro Redux real?

Yes. We never made any secret of 4A's desire to bring Metro to the latest generation of console hardware.

But what you saw leaked was taken from an old, internal planning presentation, containing some nuggets of truth but a lot of hypothetical ideas and place holder material.

(Eagle eyed fans will recognize the artwork on the 'packshot' as the art from the original Russian edition of the Metro 2033 novel. And that 'logo' is just the old Metro 2033 logo with the '2033' scrubbed out and 'Redux' added... )

As you can see, we're not quite ready to reveal 4A Games' first next-gen console project, but we will be making an announcement this side of E3.

And we think the reality is a lot more exciting than the out-dated material that got leaked shows, and we're itching to share it with you. Just not yet.

========================================================

Soon!

#1 Professor Pew, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I've already bought the entirety of Metro content across two systems (Xbox, and PC now that I can run it), so I'm not all too interested in doing it a third time for next-gen systems, but still thanks for the heads-up, definitely interested to see what the guys are up to.

3. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

So this is not a new game but rather a HD version for Next generation consoles?

Very disappointed if it is. I was hoping 4a's new master price would be a sequel to last light.

4. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Oh, I thought they were updating the graphics across the entire board -consoles and PC. Guess I won't be getting it after all.

5. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

does this have better textures and/or better graphics for pc too, or is just the two games with dlc all in one package?

6. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

If they chucked in both novels i would consider it but i am afraid once is enough for me

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

I have all the Metro content, from the first game to the last DLC. Played it all several times.
    Deep Silver, and especially 4A, does deserve the money that people would give them by buying the Redux, even from people who has already bought all the content previously. But for my own defense, I can only say that my current PC can barely play the games now. The Tower Pack is actually completely unplayable. So if the Redux simply is a version with better graphics and stuff like that, I don't want to spend the money on something I can't play, even though 4A deserves the money.

At first, I thought this was a whole new mission in some sort of DLC or something interesting like an extra content package of weapons, so I've been a little excited about it recently. It saddens me to see that it's simply just a version for the Next-gen, especially when I'm not next-gen at all. Still though, 4A deserves credit for doing a very good thing; trying to bring the Metro franchise back to life for the next generation.

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This isn't really for us but for those who haven't got the game yet, and I think it's a great idea as I know that many patient people who were interested in getting Last Light were waiting for a complete edition - this is it.

9. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Komo quoted them as being pretty unhappy with their work with last-gen's consoles, while I remember reading in an interview that they were actually pretty excited for the opportunity to work with the next-gen systems, especially things like GPU compute, the x86 architecture, and the ability to parallelise processes across all eight cores.
    Digital Foundry: Let's talk about next-gen console. What's your take on the general design in terms of CPU and graphics processing power?

Oles Shishkovstov: We are talking PS4, right? I am very excited about both CPU and GPU. Jaguar is a pretty well-balanced out-of-order core and there are eight of them inside. I always wanted a lot of relatively-low-power cores instead of single super-high-performance one, because it's easier to simply parallelise something instead of changing core-algorithms or chasing every cycle inside critical code segment (not that we don't do that, but very often we can avoid it).

Many beefier cores would be even better, but then we'll be left without a GPU! With regards the graphics core, it's great, simply great. It's a modern-age high-performance compute device with unified memory and multiple compute-contexts. The possibilities of CPU-GPU-CPU communication are endless, we can easily expect games doing, for example, AI pathfinding/route planning executing on GPU to become a common thing.
    Full Article Here, section on new consoles is near the bottom.

So it looks like they're just working on porting everything to the new system with hopefully the full array of DX11 features, for people who want to get the "true" optimized, eye-candy Metro experience but don't have the PC to do so because of a lack of money or technical know-how. I'm interested to see how far they can push the hardware, though like I said, I've already bought everything twice, so even if I do get a PS4 or something down the line, I don't see much incentive to rebuy.

10. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Well Deep Silver if you're listening make some decent steelbook and collectors editions for the UK. It seems Eastern Europeans got the cool swag such as Arytom's watch for Metro 2033 and we got NOTHING.

Pixie Light watch and the bullet lighter included in a Collectors edition will sway me to buy one of my favourite franchises again. :D

There was a thread made here ages ago what we considered should be included in a collectors edition, so seek inspiration from there. ;)

11. Stickied the thread.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

That's because Eastern Europeans would pirate the hell out of it otherwise... they probably still did. All my friends in Poland are pirates. Btw, I'm quite sure Artyom's watch was in the German collector's edition and that's Western Europe. :p

13. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I still gives my thumbs up to deep silver for doing this; even if it is for next-gen consoles. They could have left the games untouched and not given a crap about future next-gen consoles and their players by throwing them a horribly done port-over copy of the original games with a printed label saying "PS4" or "Xbox One." At least they still care about their work.

Artyom's watch, his universal charger, and bullet lighter would be nice, though. :)

14. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I still bear a grudge to 4A Games/Deep Silver for abolishing the Collector's Edition. From a game like LL i had expected some nice gadgets and i was ready to buy it.

Let alone the Ranger Difficulty shitstorm....