Making stories for your characters

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheDarknessEnvelops, Oct 1, 2013.

1. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

Okay, am I the only person who does this but once you've finished the campaign and you're free roaming in a game like sleeping dogs, do you start giving them an awesome narration of how they live on the edge ad care about nothing. Why the hell am I telling anyone this? I should make a youtube series

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

Prettttttttty much.

3. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

That's similar to what I do. In my own time, when I'm sitting in car or justing doing absolutely nothing I create stories, Worlds, Settings and Universes. Then when I have completed the campaign of a game I mould the game in my head to fit one of my settings. I did this with several of the missions of COD: BLOPS and COD: BLOPS 2.

4. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I do that when i play Misery 2.0

5. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

I always do shit like this when I'm bored or have nothing to do. If I ever i get an idea for something I like I create an entire world for it. Everything from names, cloths, personalities, settings, friends, weapons and favourite things. I can stretch it on for weeks at a time if I go really deep into it. It's nice when you have big imaginations like ours to pass the time by. I made it through a 13 hour flight just thinking about what 4 Stalkers would look like if I designed them.

Sometimes I think about it while I'm brushing my teeth and end up standing there for 10 minutes wearing down my toothbrush in a bloody pool.

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

I remember doing it once a looooong time ago. It was pretty much a copy of the first "Predator" movie, just with my own awesome characters and a different jungle and different events. But I kept on with that for a looong while, at moments I was bored.

Recently, though, all I can think about when trying to do something like that, is HL2RP. The moments I've had, the characters I miss, the good ol' times.... *sigh*. Just distant flashbacks to the greatest era of my life so far..

7. Scribbles

Scribbles Member

Similarly, if it's an RPG I chose what kind of character I want to be beforehand and make decisions I think my character would do. In Fallout New Vegas I was a slightly blue skinned person that would do anything for money and was sexually ambiguous so I could make my way to victory via indiscriminate screwing.

If I have no missions to do I make a serial killer that has weird triggers that decide whom he will kill. Like one time I made a guy who would go into a murderous frenzy if he saw someone wearing hats or glasses. He would kill the offenders and then take the glasses or hat and put them in his bathtub.

8. Wandering Metroperson

Wandering Metroperson Active Member

In Fallen Earth I rp a alpha clone of a prefall commando......shes mixed race of native american and white 5'9 a twig but strong........lol......won't go into detail to avoid boring you.

9. Once the campaign is over, the story is over, I can't play after that because I see no point. So I almost never finish the main quest.

10. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I used to do it a lot when I was younger. Don't really imagine character stories very much anymore, although I do still enjoy drawing weapons in the general aesthetic of games whenever I'm bored.

11. Me too. I stopped when I realized that anything I can come up with is complete and utter bullshit.

12. Potarto

Damn, dude. I know life hasn't been the kindest to you (at least from what you've told us), but that kind of cynicism isn't going to make things any better. I'm sure you can do a lot better than a good majority of the "creative professionals" out there, and taking pride in your own work is an important part of growing your skills.

13. I've read a lot of books and in comparison with that my written fiction is horrible. All I do is literally just mix bits and pieces from other stories I know, as opposed to creating something new, and it just feels wrong.

There was this B.S. analogy about artists in Japan. Mount Fuji is on every artist's painting, but some draw it on the front row and it takes up all the space, others just use it as a piece of background building on top of it. I'm not at that point yet and I'm afraid I never will be.

#13 Komodo Saurian, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  14. Potarto

Well if you're judging yourself against literature from professional writers (I'm assuming you're referring to published works), then of course it's going to not match up.

And everybody's work is some kind of mix of stuff they've read; nobody really has some kind of internal magical source of inspiration. What we consider "new" is just something that hasn't entered our personal tiny bubble of space, when in reality it's probably been around for quite some time and done (at least to some degree) before.

I don't quite understand the analogy, but it sounds like you're just being overly critical of yourself. A lot of times, stuff that doesn't seem particularly impressive to the person who makes it can be entertaining to other people (I've been complimented plenty of times on my random doodles, even though I personally think they're pretty shitty). Try posting something here, it'll probably be better than a lot of the weird fanaticism that comes out of the role-playing forum.

15. It's a bit too much stress. I'll spend a week writing one page, another week to fix any and all mistakes and then I'll have to edit it 30 seconds after posting because I noticed ten more.

EDIT: Just like it happened with this post.

I'll just stick to videos when my computer stops being broken.

16. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I would happily look at anything you wrote komodo

17. Potarto

A page of something usually takes me like 10 minutes or less once I have an idea of what to type. Slow typer? Writer's block? Too little time?

I have to edit half of the stuff I post, it's a part of life.

What's wrong with it?

18. I'll just keep rewriting and spellchecking it until it feels right and it never does.

Recently electricians posted a note at the entrance to the appartment block that they will be doing maintenance and asked to plug out everything just in case during specific time on a specific day. And since I can't fucking walk and I haven't left my apartment since september I never saw it.

When I turned it on it blew the fuses. I know the power supply is fried and I don't know about the rest, I have no means of checking.

#18 Komodo Saurian, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  19. Potarto

Yeah, well nothing gets done when we do things that way. And there's no easier way to get things right than getting feedback.

[​IMG]

What are you using at the moment?

20. I know what people will think about certain things, so I don't need to get feedback and I don't want to get it. I can't post anything unless I'm 100% sure it will have a desired effect.

A netbook. This forum is poorly optimised.