Mad Max (2015)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I don't think we have a thread for the new Mad Max video game that's coming out this year, so I made this topic for discussing that. I'll start off with the most recent gameplay trailer:

[YOUTUBE]?v=6eVxR2of6EQ[/YOUTUBE]

Looks sweet, I think.

2. Open world? References to lore established in the previous movies, like that statue in the teaser? Actually fully customizable car? Meaningful progression? Batman styled combat? Actual blood and gore? Amazing backgrounds and breathtaking scenery? Glorious weather effects?

Too good to be true. It doesn't happen often and this might not be that time. I'm skeptical.

EDIT: Motherfucking preorder bonus. Well, I hope that's the only downside. MFW:

[​IMG]

EDIT2: I hope the desert is really big and really empty. I don't want to step into a quest every five feet of the way, it's supposed to be post-apocalypse, not a Neo-Tokyo with an overpopulation problem.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Me too. In fact, I hope more open world games in general would be less filled with content. The amount of meaningless stuff Dragon Age: Inquisition throws at you at every step of the way is daunting.

4. Just to clarify, I don't want less content, I just want it to be a bit more spaced out.

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, me too. Though I admit I don't mind less content if it means getting rid of some boring fetch quests. A shorter good game is better than a longer tiresome game.

6. 20 bear asses!

7. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this game, but am just as worried about it at the same time. The vehicle stuff looks awesome, and the world looks great - I just hope it is as much an "open world" as possible and not scripted and controlled to merely give the impression of an open world. That this is coming from the developers of Just Cause gives me some confidence that we might get a proper open world, though, and I do also hope the world is vast and encounters/etc are spaced out well to fit the setting. As this is starting to look like it could be one of the few games I always dreamed of, I am, of course, expecting to be rather disappointed!

8. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

It looks pretty damn cool. My only complaints are that it appears like Max's enemies will only attack him, one by one, rather than all in a group. It stick true to action movie fighting sequences but not to how it might actually be in the post-apocalyptic world (I had a similar complaint about AVP 2010). Another thing is the vehicle combat: while I find it intriguing, I think there hasn't been a game that does this very well. The closest game that resembles its properties is Rage, by ID. In Rage, the vehicle combat was decent, but something about it didn't feel how it imagined it would. I just think it's a very difficult thing to capture -who knows though, the team from Just Cause might be able to deliver this; and from the video, it looks like there will be a first-person perspective from inside the vehicle, which is very cool. I've never played the Just Cause games, but the gameplay sure looks destructive and fun. Now the open-world part: Rage wasn't necessarily the largest open-world game out there, but it was open enough to where it got boring having to travel from point B then back to point A. Also, the enemy vehicles spawned in the same area, over and over, and that got old pretty fast. I really hope the Mad Max game enemy's spawn location is random. Lastly, the "you're our only hope for every little settlement" thing: I really do hope this ins't how it's going to be like. There has to, at least, have some negative world consequences when you help out one town and then you help out their "not so friendly" neighboring settlement.

9. bogartdelarama

It looks cool and has very good ratings and reviews. I guess I'll check this one out.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

New trailer:

[YOUTUBE]ButHzEB8AO4[/YOUTUBE]

11. NuclearWastE3

Regular

That's the most theatrical game trailer that I've seen :D

And I just read some articles about the new trailer. One article mentioned all the negative things about the game while the other kind of praised it; but with any comparison, the negative always seems to draw the most attention. On the positive note, it's said that (and one can even see it in the trailer) the steering wheels inside the vehicle are actually on the right hand side; as opposed to how it was done in the movie, where they were positioned on the left side.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

They were on the left-side in the movie? Wow, that kinda sucks. :( It is a small detail that I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not read about it here, but now if I go watch it I'm sure that it will bug me. :lol: Since Australia is a left-hand traffic country, the steering wheel in their cars is on the right (I'm not 100% sure, Aaron will probably correct me if I'm wrong since he is the forum's Aussie). :p That's how it is in the UK & Ireland, as well as most if not all countries that used to be British colonies (and some other states too, I believe). But I think most of the continental countries use right-hand traffic.

13. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I don't remember if all the vehicles have the steering wheel on the left side, but for sure the oil tanker does. They might just all be missed and matched to give the movie some variety.

I like the steering wheel to be on the right side. It looks cool, but I guess that's simply because right sided driver seats are uncommon in the US and I just fancy something foreign. The only thing I find weird is driving on the left side of the road :p. So strange, but the steering wheel on the right is something I prefer.

#13 NuclearWastE3, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

E3 2015 video:

[YOUTUBE]j_KC8H07vfo[/YOUTUBE]

15. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Can confirm drive on the roof

[​IMG]

Or the right what ever

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

According to one of the E3 interviews I watched, it looks like the devs are actually giving plenty of consideration to this. That same interview also shows actual gameplay and details some of the very intriguing car customisation options (as well as their practical effects as opposed to being sheer fluff). The melee combat looks fun enough, very similar to the Batman: Arkham series and to a lesser extent Assassin's Creed, but the car combat looks absolutely glorious. Varied, seems entertaining and really reminiscent of the stuff from the recent movie.

[YOUTUBE]do3IiEWxGnE[/YOUTUBE]

17. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Nice demonstration on what's to be expected of the game; but, I already saw a few things that I didn't like -one of them being the HUD. The ammo counter/health is okay, but the mini-map has always been a pet peeve of mine. I also didn't like the health meters shown above enemies, especially during vehicular combat. The highlighting of enemies is another thing. Also, the constant achievement checklist popping up; such as when one has unlocked something knew for Max's car, ran over so many warboys, punctured so many enemy tires, etc. The achievement thing is fine with me, but I wished it would be something that could be accessed by pressing a key, like the TAB key, rather than having it appear, on screen, all the time. Lastly, the guy being interviewed said that Max's major concern is to build up his car to the best war-rig possible; but, from the video, it already looks like his car is undestructible. He bulldozed his way through so many vehicles, with hardly any damage done to his car, as if he had one of those zombie-plows attached. I really do just hope, if at all, they could make the achievement list notifications hidden, enemy health, and the heads up display an option.

The one thing I'm really excited about, though, is the first-person vehicle combat....:D

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

New trailer:

[YOUTUBE]5OrBhyL1Msc[/YOUTUBE]

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Almost 1,5 hours of gameplay footage from the PS4 version of the game has been uploaded to YouTube. The quality is quite crap and the frame rate of the video is terrible (most probably due to the fact that it was recorded from a Twitch live stream). In any case, if anyone wants to have a look, here it is:

[YOUTUBE]idsiK5mVjJ0[/YOUTUBE]