Last Light Watch vs. Metro 2033 Watch

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Teddy Picker, May 29, 2012.

?

What do you prefer, the Last Light watch or the Metro 2033 watch?

1. The Metro 2033 watch

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. The Last Light watch

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I will always be loyal to the old watch...

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I think it has already been said before, but this is what I think: the old one looks better, whilst the new one serves its actual purpose and is much easier to read. Now you can argue whether the old one was actually useful. I was fine with not knowing how much time I had left, but it's worth noting that this makes the old watch a broken gameplay mechanic. If they wanted to keep it, then they could have just as well removed it completely as it was almost useless. Instead, they decided to implement something to make the game more accessible to newcomers. Whether that's good or bad, it's up to everyone to decide for themselves.

3. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

It could have been a purchasable item from the market traders, but I agree with 4A's reasoning that the old one was confusing.

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Indeed, making it an optional upgrade at a trader would be the best way to go. Even if 4A wanted people to experience the game mostly with the new watch, then it's obvious that most people would spend their bullets on it anyway.

5. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

Artyom already charges his flashlight, nightvision and volt driver with the charge. How difficult could it be to charge the watch one time at his home station, when they can make weapons like the volt driver, charging a watch isn't a problem.

6. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

My point is that having wires run all over his body isn't practical for survival or during combat.

Also this. "This charger is separate from the one that is used to power Artyom's flashlight and Night Vision Goggles, as with Tihar and Helsing, you need to charge this weapon when found."

7. Hoenkoper

Oh, Volt Driver has it own charge, how could I forget.

I actually meant that you only have to charge the watch one time, because watches don't use that lot of energy, even when there 20 years old.

8. cerberus

Yes that could work, I suppose.

9. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

As an admin of the Wiki, I dare say that was lovely!

A one-time charge makes sense, though. But again. Whether or not you can find some is the true question. And whether or not the batteries are rechargable.

10. cerberus

Right you are, Mr. Picker. Artyom would be better off with a self-winding watch.

11. teenbat

teenbat Active Member

Well where are you going to find a still-working missile guidance system?

12. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

oh those can be found littering the streets anywhere

13. cerberus

It's true, I found one in my back yard the other day. Tried to bomb my yuppie neighbours with it but it wouldn't work.

14. teenbat

teenbat Active Member

All right, all joking aside, it would be much easier to either A) find an awesome digital watch or B) find a regular digital watch and modify it than to find a missile guidance system, much less three Scud missiles.

15. Hoenkoper

Old watch was more realistic, but a digital isn't impossible. I also never really knew how the watch worked with your remaining time, so I'm happy with the new one.

16. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Preach, brother!

Seriously though, the new digital watch is atmosphere-breaking for me. I feel Mr. Picker summed it up perfectly in saying who would find a working digital watch? The old watch is much more gritty, the way he cranks the timer. It is just more fitting then flashy beeping lights.

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

Agreed. But as said, it's not completely impossible for someone to find a watch like that in the Metro. I mean, it is the future after all. Although it has been apocalyptic and poor for 21 years or so, it's still the future. I don't know. :p

18. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know, perhaps a top-secret military complex where such devices would be stored?

If we're bringing up implausibilities, how the hell are creatures going to evolve in such a short period of time? How does Artyom protect himself from radiation with fingerless gloves and a mere gas mask? Why are there .44 magnum revolvers in a country that produces next to zero of them? And why the fuck are amoebae rolling around in the depths of D-6, which should have been protected from radiation?

19. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

People. I'd just like to say that I don't even bother using the old watch since Artyom changes the gasmask filter automatically (They should remove that) when there's literally no use for the filter (it's good in a way though because you're making the most out of the filters) and if you're wondering what the time is it tells the time and displays light levels just perfectly.

20. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Maybe the filter system will be dif for ranger