Last Light: Not Gritty Enough

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by Pip314, May 31, 2013.

1. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that felt as though the dialogue used throughout Last Light gave it more of a light-hearted tone than its predecessor? The game has been severely dumbed down in an attempt to appeal to a much broader audience of gamers. I know that it all boils down to money, but why must the dialogue in games be aimed towards 11-15 year olds? I feel as though the world of Metro deserves a much grittier, darker rhetoric. Barely any characters seem truly distraught over the end of the world, and a lot of the dialogue is extremely cheery given the circumstances.

And as for Artyom... He just committed mass genocide not a year ago, how is it that he only suffers from the occasional nightmare? I was hoping that Last Light would have continued the idea of a mature game for the mature gaming audience, but that hope was lost. As for Artyom, I guess I was half expecting him to be drowning his sorrows in the beginning, in a much darker tone. I don't know, maybe this does not deserve to be a thread. I just wanted to share some of my opinions. I am sure that I will have more to share soon.

/rant

2. KLMKsunbunny

KLMKsunbunny Well-Known Member

No youre not the only one. it is lighter in tone... For me it really showed in Khan's dialogue.

i dont think it is entirely a case of dumbing down though. People have adapted more to life in the Metro, to make new lives for themselves down there, theyre not just in exile from the surface. The dialogue of the rangers and even the reds talks about D6 having stores of everything needed for a comfortable life.

Theres hope... and thats what the sequel is about.

The darkness is still there, but its a little more subtle.. take a walk through theatre station and its there. i thought the piece with the guy doing shadow shapes for the children was just brilliant. He was doing "harmless" shapes like birds, a fox, a goat.. but the Metro children couldnt recognise them, because theyd never seen those animals. Those animals are long gone. And so they interpreted them as lurkers, demons and spiders.. The only animals they knew of were dangerous ones..

#2 KLMKsunbunny, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  3. Strider

Strider Well-Known Member

^
    He nailed it really good.
    Living down there for 21 years, you either go mad, or deal with it. Don't forget, humans are prone to adaptation, and they adapt to live there, to deal with the daily shit. I didn't find it lighter to be honest, listening to people's daily troubles, their pain. I also loved the scene with the kids, the irony. Their future generation, knows nothing but fear, horror, monsters. They will not live in bright future, they will never see the world as their ancestors saw it, and probably won't live past their 30's. That alone is depressing and gritty. Khan is Khan - optimistic, enigmatic, crazy and now he's grown closer to Artyom and we can clearly see it. I for one was happy to interact with him more then 2033. He's one of my favorites.
    I can go on, and let me tell you, I love gritty, pain and the horror in stories when they are done right.
    If this story was going Bioshock Infinite on me, I would've sense it.

#4 Strider, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  4. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Well the voice acting was shit so what do you expect?

5. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

You truly believe that this example absolves Artyom of his lack of emotion or maturity towards what he's done? I highly doubt 4A referred to a site like "tvtropes.com" to justify Artyom's emotions or lack thereof. In the journals or in the mid-level narrative I recall seeing Artyom refer to the genocide in his past as, "...when I launched the missiles and blew up the Dark Ones." Literally no emotion towards his past or what he's done in that phrasing.

Entitling Khan an optimist is very debatable. He seeks answers to the reason humans now occupy the metro system. An optimist sees the good in things, while Khan sees the grey in them. Why would he have grown closer to Artyom over the year between 2033 and Last Light if he was urging Artyom to take a closer look at the Dark Ones before scorching them from the Earth? I understand that Khan wanted Artyom to see in the Dark Ones what he himself saw in them, but the fact that Artyom opted to nuke them is not something that Khan should have forgiven in just a year's time.

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

Komodo is right, but I also find Pip's points more valid in this situation.. There was simply too much storyline, too much action, to have the time or space to put in any emotions. Hopefully, this will be changed in Metro2035, the book.

7. Strider

Strider Well-Known Member

I think not.
    You describe him like he's ambassador of the Dark Ones. Remember that no one trusts them. He sees enigma in them, and like we all know Khan has the habit to believe strange things and taking them into consideration. And that's what is to be optimist. Sometimes believing in things others can't see. Not because you can't see it, but because you approach it in different angle. So for example, the glass is half empty for you, bit it might be half filled up for me.
    Khan just helped Artyom in 2033 to reach Polis in order to save his home station. He didn't spoke of the Dark Ones, nor he said "Artyom do this, not that. Save this one, not the other."
    He was more like "do what you think is right, but take in consideration the world you're living in before you grant any final judgement."
    I believe Khan has his doubts about the Dark Ones in the beginning. They may have or haven't be the salvation of humanity.
    With a world surrounded by people and organizations looking to save or destroy, free or enslave, Khan is probably the only one who sees salvation or help in things other dismiss as pure nonsense. And that, my comrade, is pessimism for me.

+1 no 200

#8 Strider, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  8. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

This.

9. Storchburp

Storchburp Well-Known Member

I thought a couple of chapters were very gritty, Red Square and the plague chapter come to mind. I remember a convo near the start of the plague chapter with a girl and her dad in a quarantined room, both very sick and near death, but she keeps asking where Mommy has gone, her dad says she has gone home....

"When can I see Mommy again?"
    "Soon..."

10. " No Rokko...you can't."

How much more of a " mature " nature can a game developer really deliver without crossing boundaries that seem to elicit video game demonizing fuel and the ridiculous national bans based on content ? There is a line. Thank god for modding.

#11 " No Rokko...you can't.", Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  11. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me the game is grittier,darker and more depressing overall compared to the first one. Artyom obviously regrets nuking the Dark Ones and he's trying to cope with all the guilt and consequences of his actions. I think the first chapter perfectly reflects that.
    There are cheesy lines and lots of humour and stupidity,too. But you can't fit in this new dark world if you're not atleast a little crazy.
    Also the russian voiceovers are more serious compared to the english. The english felt more lighthearted,like the OP said.

12. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Honestly i agree that it was not gritty enough there was no driving factor in the story, no doomsday device to get you running it was just 'normal' nothing different just the checkbook of cliches

If anyone here has played Spec ops the line they know that grittyness is essentual to the story and in that case i was so immersed thanks to the writing the voice acting i played the entire game in one sitting due to how well it was handled

13. " No Rokko...you can't."

I'm of the mind-set that LL is a strong human nature piece at the core. It expresses every positive and negative facet of us as all as we are in the world today - from the mother comforting her child when she knows his future is hopeless, the indomitable human spirit and the ruthless brutality of ignorance based on a " belief system ". Hence the " moral " points system.

14. Deathparade

Deathparade New Member

Things i noticed:

They found D6 something to be happy about so i dont mind them sounded a bit happy

But Khan should have had the same voice as in 2033 he sounded less spiritual than he used to

But Pavel is rather happy even though he was almost put to death

15. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

-_____- :mad:

16. TotalAaron

Stalker arnt you only 14?

17. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Yes I am hence why I sad
    I hate when i get grouped in like that.. :(

18. TotalAaron

So your the reason they dumbed it down

19. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Not really. I'm pretty sure he's pointing out that age is:

1. Not a contributing factor, especially in this case; Metro has always aimed to be a gritty game, and I've seen nothing indicating that they're trying to branch out more towards young teens. Having some voice actors hardly is evidence of that.

2. Not really all that relevant; maturity often comes with age, but I doubt he likes being labeled under the stereotype that has their mom get them chocolate milk while they scream at people in Call of Duty.

And how old are you, exactly? You don't strike me as the most mature individual. (no offense, just curious)