Is this worth playing for free?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by Yoyoenix91, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Livvy

Livvy Active Member

It took me a second there to realise you weren't saying that P2P is great, just that it's going to give you better access to the game and stuff...that's what you meant, right?

2. ciorex

ciorex Well-Known Member

I draw the line at fucking having more than one action bar without paying.... just... don't even get me started...

3. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

you can definitely play it. Its just extremely dull and demoralizing compared to p2p. even though they made it free they still make it so its almost impossible to play without paying

4. Mike_Check

Mike_Check Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. I've want to play this since it originally released, since before that actually. I just never seemed to have the extra time, but now that its f2p, why not? Even if I just play for solid weekend to get a good taste of it.
    Will I be able to get a good enough taste over lets say thanksgiving weekend??
    Or do you all think it deserves at least a couple weekend binges? I mean hey, xmas IS right around the corner!

5. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you like star wars it is worth a try at least. The combination of mmo and star wars isn't one I would assume would be popular and good but it is. I really enjoy the large amount of classes the game offers.

6. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

If you want to have any fun at endgame, you will need to subscribe. F2P will pretty much get you through the story. But you will have many restrictions. Such as limits on warzones and instances.

7. Serenity Fay

Serenity Fay Member

I haven't played it for a few months so things may have changed, but when I was into it I never paid a penny. It didn't really hinder me that much since I focus on the story aspect but then again I'm used to making the most of f2p, being a broke Uni student lmao. I think that if you're used to f2p it won't really be a problem for you.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

The way I see it, SWTOR is free as far as storymode and leveling goes. I mean I enjoyed storymode. I don't see myself paying for the game honestly since it plays too much like WoW and because I never really invested a lot into SWTOR, I'm not missing out on much.

9. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it is worth it even though it is free. Many good MMO'S are free, in fact some of the best are free. You may be turned away due to its poor production quality but it is still a fine game.

10. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Alot of the features are severely limited for F2P. IMO is isn't worth it. Hopefully in the future they open the F2P version of the game up more and this will encourage people to play.

11. kestas57

kestas57 Member

I say try it and see what you think. It IS a good game but sometimes it does get annoying at all the extra stuff a paying player can do compared to what you can do as someone who isn't paying.

12. horse next door

You should really try out Star Wars. It is a great game to play even if its F2P. If you think you are going to spend a lot of time on this, then you can eventually switch to P2P, the choice is yours.

Or switch to World of Warcraft. ;PP

13. Sinfield

Sinfield Active Member

Bought the game when it came out, so now I have some special status. When I last tried it, more than an year ago, I was overwhelmed by all the restriction I had, even with this preferred account status or whatever was it called. From what I hear, those restrictions are still there, so I certainly won't be going back to this game. It's fun if you want to play it for the story, but that's about it. You won't run dungeons or battlegrounds too much because you have a limited amount of each that you can join. You can download it for free, so if you want, you can try it.

14. RakRak

RakRak Member

Yeah you can go pretty far as a strictly F2P player and it gives you a good idea of what you're getting into without having to buy anything. P2P is better of course and definitely worth it if you enjoy the game but you can participate in almost everything without paying a dime.

15. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you are patient and you don't mind grinding for experience, then yes. In fact, even if you are impatient, give it a try! It's free, so you don't have anything to lose but a few hours of your life.

16. llfsa

llfsa Active Member

As everybody else in here stated, it's Star Wars and it's free to try, so might as well give it a shot and see if you like it.

17. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that the devs changed the Free to play model compared to last year so a lot of things may have changed. You might want to check out the f2p restrictions page once more because I believe there are less restrictions now. Nevertheless you could also pay a small amount of money to upgrade yourself and remove many of the restrictions.

18. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ugh... this is unfortunate. I started playing a few days ago, and was enjoying it (though I'm really having to work on learning the controls!) But to know that I'm going to come to a crashing halt later on if I don't pay.... :( Maybe I'll find it worth it if I continue to enjoy, but at the same time, I don't have money to be throwing around on games either.

19. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member
    Regular

You can only expect so much for free... After all, they aren't a charity lol The game has to make a profit in order to keep going. The whole point of F2P is to try the game so you can decide if you want to sub or not. Honestly, it's only $15... I'm not sure what people expect. :)

20. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member
    Regular

Based on how the game creates a three-tiers system, I'd say if you can then drop five bucks on the game to get to the next tiers. It will help a lot with the grind and you can tolerate it enough to get through the story (which is very good btw).