Introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by Unknown, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

If you're new feel free to introduce yourself & we can get things going!
    You could provide a brief introduction of yourself, gaming history and how you got into Guild Wars 2!

I'll go ahead and start first.

I started playing MMO's at a very young age. I was even failing school because of it. I started to play ever quest online adventures ( my very first MMORPG on the PS2 ) and from there on online games were all that i played. That lead me to playing games such as world of warcraft, final fantasy 11, eq2, guild wars, aion, warhammer.. etc oh does that list go on.

However out of all those game there was really only one that stuck out and that was Guild Wars. I heard about it through my friend online & next thing i know i was playing the game day and night. I loved the pvp in guild wars & the music. I even remember going to the wiki to check up on GW2 back then and all we had was some things about climbing a tree and sliding lol.

But here i am now, awaiting Guild Wars 2.

Share a little about yourself :)

2. FatCheeseMan

FatCheeseMan Active Member

I started playing EQ in 2001. I played it for about 4 years, at which point I moved to WoW(just recently quit that one). I have played numerous other mmo's but sadly never GuildWars. I have gained a great interest in GuildWars2 recently and hope for that to be the next mmo I live in.

My friends have recently moved away or quit gaming. So I will have no one to play it with. I have decided to try and become more social as to make new friends in this new world. I am FatCheeseMan, or Fatch if you prefer. I greet you all with a hearty hail and well met!

3. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

My first mmo wasnt EQ, or WoW... it was Guild Wars. I heard of the beast that was EQ, but decided a monthly fee wasnt gonna happen for me, but recently a new MMO that was free monthly would come out... GUILD WARS. I decided to throw myself into and was pleasantly surprised. I just came off of conquering Diablo 2 with my lvl 99 hardcore Zoomancer (Necromancer with 50 bazillion minions), so I instantly took to the Necromancer. I loved the instanced areas, since it felt akin to D2, and I loved my minions! I got in with a good guild, we ended up doing top pvp fuctions, and things were great... until. Apparently, my necromancer was deemed, oh how should I put this, "Should die in a fire!" So the cascade of nerfs started flooding in. I jumped to different builds, but without fail next week they'd be nerfed too. And so... I quit.

I then traveled to WoW, like so many requested, but only spent 8 months in it before I felt like stabbing my eyes out. I then went on to Warhammer Online, Champions, DCUO (DCUO sux btw). I'd go back and forth into GW, since it was still 4 free, bought all the expansions... had a blast, but I never got into another guild since then. My first guild was just too special to me. So, I await the return of my roots, to the return of Guild Wars... with a number 2 after.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vercinger

Vercinger Member

I was actually never all that interested in MMORPGs. The only online games that have kept me interested for a long time are Battlefield Heroes, World of Tanks, League of Legends, Altitude and BattleForge (I still play the first 4). I've tried demos/trials of various games but nothing really grabbed me. Including the most recent one, SWTOR, where I was part of the weekend beta test and got bored of the combat before reaching level 10. Unfortunately, I never played Guild Wars.

What got me interested in Guild Wars 2 is this video. If the developers live up to people's expectations, this will be one hell of a great game.

5. lolwut

lolwut Well-Known Member

Awesome video! I saw that one too. I've always enjoyed MMORPG type games but i have not played one recently but it seems GW2 Is going to change that.

6. Gatermag

Gatermag Member

Hi guys! I have played over 15 MMO's and Guild Wars 2 is by far my most anticipated MMO ever. It looks great and I have been waiting for it probably a year after GW1 released when talks of expansions were brewing. I hope you guys are as excited for it as I am. I was originally drawn to this site because I have been looking for sites to advertise my guild, Animosity. So I am killing two birds with one stone now by introducing myself and getting the 5 posts needed to post links in my guild's thread. I will probably focus more towards PvP in GW2 but I definitely want to experience the amazing looking PvE. I will most likely be playing a Norn Guardian. Hope GW2 releases soon so I can see you guys in-game!

7. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I played FPS games semi pro in college. I had to decide at one point if i wanted to quit school, play full time with the clan, or get my engineering degree because the grades weren't happening.... so now i have a great career and get more sun. I live in Chicago but moving to Phoenix next month. Manager in a fortune 50 company, Lived/Worked in china, and travel with work ~20% of the time, and I'm 29. MMO's (social games) help me stay in contact with my wife and friends. I can be in a internet cafe/hotel anywhere in the world and it's like were playing being at home (albeit a lot more lag, weaker rig, strange hours).

MMO's Played for 1 month or longer:
    swg, aoc, wh, wow, fe, coh, co, gw, lotro, ps, l2, half a dozen F2P, and a few i'm sure i've forgotten.

8. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing about yourself :) that's a crazy amount of MMO's you have played

9. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Forgot AO, and Rift.

Most of that list i haven't played more than 1 month.
    The only games i put 6 months or more into were Wow, Rift, GW, SWG. My wife calls it "gaming bulimia".

10. Unknown

You sound the same as me, I've played them all and a lot more except SWG. I can't even spend more than a month on them. Hopefully GW2 changes that. :(

11. obverkid

obverkid Member

Hello!
    I go by "Kid" which is a simplification of my nickname of choice - obverkid00.
    I've been brought up surrounded by games, my brothers played the Commodore, NES, Amiga1200 and finally bought a PC. These days I consider myself lucky to have been able to catch a glimpse of the "classics".
    My online PC gaming started with Call of Duty, I've spent lots of years on that game and found MMOs to be the next big thing for me. At first I've been trying out f2p mmos such us Tibia, Conquer, K-Online, MapleStory.
    The first MMO I decided to buy was Guild Wars and I got stuck with that game. Now I'm looking forward to playing GW2 with my "home" community - Team Legacy.

It was Gatermag who told me about this site, so thanks buddy ;)

12. Unknown

Hello! Thanks for introducing yourself. :)

13. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Kidoo. :cool:

14. Majestic

Majestic Boo

A lot of people are like that haha, it happens when you play too many games in general.
    Taking a long break usually helps out when you get back into gaming.

15. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Hello!

I tryed some f2p mmos before i got started with Gw1. I started playing Gw rigght after it came out with 2 friends. Had some breaks( from playing gw) in those five years and while i had those breaks i tryed AoC, WoW and Lotr. But neither of them gave me the same experience as gw did i always got back to gw :) the only game i had alot offun with next to gw was battlefield heroes lol.

I dont know what it is about gw but i like the environments, the music, the pvp and just tyhe whole atmosphere i geuss. I thought WoW would give me the same experience but it gave up after 2,5 months i got bored with it, i even played AoC for a longer time (4 monttyhs ).

Anyway cant wait till GW2 comes out ! And i hope to see you ingame when it does !

Over and out!

Silas

16. Caledon

Caledon Teef

I started free form roleplaying on Prodigy, with my first RP character named "Caledon", then I moved to AOL when Prodigy became CompuServe, and it just wasn't the same. The community from Prodigy just didn't migrate over, I guess. Trying to feed my addiction elsewhere I found MUDs, and even helped to build some, but I couldn't get into them either. All the reading blew it for me sadly, not to mention that most of the MUDs were nearly identical.

It was about this time that I found Neverwinter Nights on AOL, which was incredible for me. Yeah, I was that guy out front of the bank trying to fool people into giving me their items for nothing in return... a thief. This was before the current trade windows, where both parties get a tooltip description of the item by hovering their mouse over it. :) My love for the roguish profession began young, and I've played one in every MMO I ott my hands on ever since. Cosrin (AOL MUD) and Legends of Kesmai (AOL 2D) started around the same time for me, and I still think of them very fondly. Great games. Anyway...

I remember getting into trouble with my parents around this time for the outrageous bills they got from me being on AOL for so long (it was like 12 bucks an hr back when it first came out I think). I'd wait for my parents to go to work, then sneak into their room and boot up AOL. Dial up modem, oh yeah! Well, EQ was being hyped here and there, nothing like today's hype machine, but I was hooked. As I waited for EQ I played the Realm for a bit, but the idea of EQ wouldn't leave me. I needed it and, luckily enough, I got it.

EQ was "IT" for people like me. It was the WoW, it was a living and breathing fantasy world! Since then, I've hopped from MMO to MMO, trying to fill the void. Long story short, and skipping countless MMOs, Shadowbane was incredible. Loved it, still love it, and hope they create SB2. Can't wait for GW2!

17. Unknown

Welcome to both of you. I'm really glad to have both of you here! Thanks for the contributions as well.

18. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

I've already introduced myself but i'm glad to see some more people. Welcome you guys :]

19. Rin Aki

Rin Aki New Member

Hi,

I'm Rin Aki. I started playing GW1 almost from the begining and have been following GW2 with great excitement from the first moment they announced they were making it. It's been a long few years, that's for sure.

I have played a few other MMO's on and off, such as WoW, Champions Online, City of Heroes, Ran Online, DC Universe Online, APB Reloaded and little bits of Lineage II, RF Online, Perfect World, Forsaken World and a few others I cannot remember right now.

I am mostly into PvE, but do enjoy the occasional PvP. I did enjoy playing a lot of Battlegrounds in WoW and I am very much looking forward to what PvP GW2 has to offer.

The biggest draw for me in games is the role playing element. I don't mean in the sense of talking or acting in character, though I do that every now and then for fun. I mean in terms of a game with a good storyline and character developement. I have played many RPG's such as: Final Fantasy 7 (the only FF worth playing), Zelda - Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Walker, Twilight Princess, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights, Diablo 1 and 2 (looking forward to 3), Mass Effect 2 (never got round to ME1), Star Wars - KotOR, System Shock 2 and many more.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. I'll just finish off by saying I am very much looking forward to GW2, and fully expect it to make big chunks of my life disappear.

1 person likes this.
  20. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

Hi there, my current gamertag is Deezy these days. My first MMO was FFXI from the Caitsith server. I then moved to Guild Wars for about a year then quit for WoW. Played WoW up to WotLK before quitting. I admit, I did come back for 3 months to Cata then quit for good again.

I'm currently playing SWTOR atm, was enjoying it for the first month until I hit the level cap and grinded out my pvp gear and realized there's legit no point in even pvping atm. (No stats or rated warzones or anything). Finding it difficult to logon atm. No motivation. Paid for the CE too & 3 months of billing. Amateur mistake. :(

Apart from that though I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into ME3 & GW2!

Really caught between the Guardian & Mesmer. Hoping you guys can finally swade my opinion before the game is released.

1 person likes this.