Insurgency

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yeash! Insurgency is, and has been for a long time, a HL2 mod, completely free in steam.
    This game is quite simple, Insurgents VS Americans. The controls are very much like the controls in Garry's Mod, and the game is kind of similar to Counter Strike Source except that the controls are way better. I also find that Insurgency has some similarity to Red Orchestra.

What I can say is that it's a quite realistic game apart from the fact that you can kill people by shooting their foot or hand, and there's very little bulletdrop if no bulletdrop at all. It has larger maps than CS:S, but it's a similar concept.

You can sprint, which you can't in CSS. And you'll be holding your gun down when sprinting, just like in Metro. When you jump, you can keep running right after that, while in CS:S you'll be a lot slower for a couple of seconds after hitting the ground. You can prone (lie down), and when you are crawling, you'll be unable to shoot. You can also lean with Q and E.

You don't have crosshairs, so you'll have to right click to raise your gun and aim through the iron sights to actually aim properly. Now this is only a multiplayer game, there's no singleplayer. No bots. Only online players, and most of them are usually very skilled in this game. It's quite the challenge and can wreck your mood so easily sometimes :p But if you advance and get better, this game will be freaking awesome. I've had so much fun with it.

Here you have a bad example of how awesome this game can be:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=eJkWJzdaUFY[/YOUTUBE]

Now, they're releasing the stand-alone Insurgency, on first march. It'll cost 20$, and I'll definitely buy this game immediately when it's released.
    Here's the countdown page with some info:
    http://playinsurgency.com/

2. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

I remember this! It's fun as hell!

3. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Are there any recent videos of the game which is going to be released? That video above looks rubbish tbh

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

Actually, I haven't thought of looking at any trailers. This is the first that popped up when I searched:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=UAmma8yvgqQ[/YOUTUBE]

It honestly looks to me like they've modernized it, making it look more shiny and badass, although to me it looks (from the little that I've seen) a lot worse than the original Insurgency itself. The sounds seem much worse. The controls seem about the same, but I'm not liking the maps I'm seeing either.

BUT

Upon looking at this review right here, my opinion is back to where it was earlier:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=2gpvkWnHgjA[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: There's also this:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=_Ffmz1jqRNE[/YOUTUBE]
    Something I noticed here was that he talked about how in the original Insurgency, you could easily get frustrated at being killed from nowhere after traveling a mile to actually get to the front line. This is something I've experienced myself, so I'm glad that they're gonna try and avoid that in the new game. The controls are also looking slightly faster and easier to use, yet also a little more realistic. (That's from my unprofessional view, FYI).
    Also, the guy in the mint-green T-shirt in the last video there looks like he has rabies. :lol:

#4 Skaara Dreadlocks, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  5. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

That looks better

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

Alright, I've been playing a bit of this game now. It's pretty much still the same just with some new shiny contents and features. The graphics are way better of course. All in all though, it's still the same simple concept as before. Security VS Insurgents. The few maps that have been made so far are relatively small. I sort of feel that the streets and walkways are now smaller and more narrow, as if our characters have become much faster and a lot bigger. It's a little strange. It's only early-released, which means it's still just in Alpha I believe. What I do like is how some of the developers are often on the most populated servers, and they answer questions and take notes of what we have to say. That's pretty cool. They're also making a snow-version of Sinjar, which was the biggest map in the old mod.

I don't know why, but I'm having great difficulties bragging about it. I can say that I like it, but it's not a big deal, really. Not yet, that is ;)

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yeah, so I've come up with a theory/conclusion that the developers of Insurgency2 are aiming more for the attention of fans from Counter-Strike: Source and CoD. This conclusion is very reasonable, concidering how Insurgency2 seems so far to be compared to the original mod, and that thought includes what the Developers has said about the differences themselves. To quickly mention different reasons:
    1: First-person view upon death has been removed and replaced by a kill-cam that shows you where your enemy shot you from.
    2: The maps are smaller and more compact, which means you'll head straight into the battle immediately.
    3: The respawn-time is rediculously shorter.
    4: You can now have attachments. Nothing wrong with that, except that you can have a shotgun with Acog-Scope/Red Dot/Holo Sights, Grip and laser-marker.
    5: The developers are additionally creating a 'realism-mode' for the hard-core fans of the original mod.

8. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Might get this :)

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Just giving you guys that haven't noticed it yet a little heads-up (and necro-bumping this thread), that the new Insurgency game is officially released and finished. There are still frequent updates of course, but it's now labelled as a game that's no longer Alpha or Beta, but in a state of actually being so large that they can call it finished.

Anyway, it has become a lot better now. New maps, new weapons and customizations, new gamemodes and supply-systems that are really awesome. I actually think I like it better now than the first original Insurgency mod. I can play this game for hours and hours, it's such great fun.

10. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I was wondering where I'd seen that name before.

[YOUTUBE]L4v2JIGl1xY[/youtube]

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Guys.... There's been a major update to the game called Molotov Spring. (I don't know if you could do this before, but I tried it out yesterday:) You can join online Coop matches... which is pure AWESOME.

Previously, I've only played against other players. It's always been really good, but this Coop-mode put the game to an absolute whole new level! The versus-maps that are also being used for the Coop, has been boarded up and blocked here and there on different locations, turning the map into one large "maze", so you'll have to follow a specific route. Despite the small size of the map, they've managed to make the route very long, so long that you go all the way through it from capturing Alpha to capturing India. Throughout the route, some of the points you have to capture needs to be destroyed because they're the insurgents' weapon caches.

The voice-acting, OH GOD THE VOICE-ACTING! It's better than in many movies. "Friendly is hit! We've got a casualty!" when someone on the team dies. "RPG, RPG! That's an RPG!" when Insurgents pull out an RPG and are about to fire it, and after hearing those words, you're like "ohhh... FUU-" until you see the RPG head flying towards you like a rocket and *BOOM*, First-person death as you fly away with muffled sound and land on the ground, then it turns black.

It might sound a little simple, and I guess it is, but it's also very challening despite being against bots. It's also impressively immersive and atmospheric. It's almost so good that I could say it's at the same level of Arma3 regarding certain areas like for example immersion and atmosphere.
    This game is totally worth the money, end of discussion.

12. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Is this still a mod that I can get free, or do I have to pay for it :derp:?

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

It was a free mod running on the HL2.exe engine, but it's not also a Stand-alone game that costs 15 euro, on sale for 10 until 1st April.
    It's definitely worth the money, and the developers definitely deserve the money. They're frequently keeping us updated, throwing loads of events in the steamgroup, setting up some livestreams, play-with-the-devs, etc.

14. NuclearWastE3

Regular

That's the only problem for me . Since it's only multiplayer based, there is only so long before the gaming community of the game breaks down and I would be left with a shortcut on the screen that will basically serve no purpose. I would only then be able to execute the game's shortcut and run around the map by myself. :/

It's too much of a risk for me to buy it right now for something that might have a short life span. If it were to drop down in price some more, I would definitely buy it; but by then, chances are that they would be selling it for that cheap of a price for a desperate attempt to attract people in purchasing it - in which it will work, but only to sustain it for a bit longer and then come to a sad end.

(shakes fist) DAMN YOU MEL GIBSON!

#14 NuclearWastE3, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  15. Mel Gibson

Mel Gibson Member

Fuck you hippie

16. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

damn it, mel gibson

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

I'm not sure how long gaming communities last, but I know that even now, the original free Insurgency mod is still populated to a playable degree. New content is constantly being delivered and the community is alive and prosper. I highly doubt it'll die out anytime soon.

Also, there are bots in the game. But I don't know if you can play Singleplayer, I haven't tried that.

18. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Yeah, I think I shouldn't have said that. I did some research on it and it is based on an old mod that still have active players, like you said. Then I realized that even a game as old as Quake still has it's online community of multiplayers. It's rare to have a online based game to have a community of developers and gamers as dedicated as this one has; and chances are that it'll outlast Ol' Mr. Mel Gibson.

19. Mel Gibson

Mel Gibson Member

Fuck you fuck you fuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yyyyyyyyyyyooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu

20. NuclearWastE3

Regular

^
    Ha-ha-ha!

I was right. After you took the role of having your arm shoved up a stuffed beaver's ass for an entire movie, you turned crazy.

[​IMG]

You chose to do this part over the next chapter of Mad Max because you said you're too old! WHY GIBSON?! WHY?! :hurt: