Horizon: Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This, No Man's Sky and Dreams impressed me the most on Sony's stage at E3 2015. I really liked Killzone 3, its story was about as forgettable as they come but the gameplay was awesome and the graphics were both technologically and artistically stunning. The mulitplayer was pretty cool as well, with a "playlist" type that shuffled game modes as well as offline bot battles (something that few shooters have nowadays). Dutch/British developer Guerrilla Games has now unveiled its new IP; it is called Horizon: Zero Dawn and looks very different from the shooters that they made previously. Since Guerrilla is a subsidiary of Sony, the game will unfortunately be a PS4 exclusive - scheduled to launch sometime in 2016. The main character is a woman called Aloy, the world looks post-post-apocalyptic and it is populated with robotic wildlife, whilst humans look like mostly various hunter-gatherer tribes. It appears to be a third person action game. As is the custom with Guerrilla Games, Horizon looks absolutely beautiful.

Trailer here:

[YOUTUBE]Fkg5UVTsKCE[/YOUTUBE]

2. Battlefield Earth had some really cool concepts, but it was a really shitty movie. It's nice to see that recent games explore its ideas.

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

This looks very nice and well-made, but the idea is just rediculous imo :lol:
    "They don't tell us why the machines rule these lands". Oh, why? Wait, I think I might know; because the developers had a brilliant idea: "Let's make robot dinosaurs!"

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Perhaps, but I think it's more likely that they're just keeping this secret for the storyline of the actual game. It would be stupid if they revealed everything in the first trailer, wouldn't it? :p

Hmm, I never saw the movie, but I do think that these concepts are considerably older.

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

*Facepalm* (-at my own stupidity). You're absolutely right, I didn't think about that. It's just... Through the whole video, I'm thinking "Well, that robot-deer looks weird, wonder how that got to be. Well, that robot-dinosaur looks weird, wonder how that got to be" etc, and after wondering about that for four minutes or so, they just say "I don't know", and it just really gives me that feeling that they just went all "HEY GUYS, LET'S MAKE AWESOME ROBOT DINOSAURS!" and another guy goes "Okay, but what's the plot gonna be like? How did they get to be?", and the other guy replies "WHO CARES, IT'S AWESOME!" :lol:

But I guess I'm just being a bit pre-judgemental 'cause it just seems so unrealistic and weird to me :p But you never know; there people (or in this case developers) out there with amazing creativity that I could never even dream of having, so I suppose they'll come up with some good plot :)

-And if they don't, well..... it's still an awesome idea :D

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It's funny how you say people and developers as if they're two different groups. :lol: Nah, I'm just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. :)

Also, by watching an interview with the developers I've learned that Horizon: Zero Dawn has actually already been in development for almost 5 years! Furthermore, it's interesting how they refer to the game as an "open world RPG" and "third person action game" simultaneously. I was not aware it was going to be open world and I assume the RPG elements are going to be very light and "streamlined". If it will be so then I don't mind this at all, but I would prefer if they'd just refer to their project as a "third person open world action game" rather than trying to cram the acronym "RPG" in there somewhere. That seems to be the trend these days - calling everything an RPG (I've even come across people who say that the recent Call of Duty titles are role-playing games due to having statistics and unlockables).

Anyway, I'm embedding that interview below. If you're keen to learn more about the world's background then it is worth a watch.

[YOUTUBE]bTUcQ0DDT7s[/YOUTUBE]