Holy Shit, This Game is Amazing

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by VSV, Dec 12, 2011.

1. VSV

VSV Active Member

Knowing the game went on sale last year on steam for $10 on Thanksgiving and $5 during the holidays, I waited for the same to happen this year and it did, as I picked it up on Thanksgiving.

I initially played it for a few hours and got frustrated during Frontline where I had no clue where to go (since the game is quite a bit dark on the TV I have hooked up to my PC, and raising the Gamma levels did little to nothing to fix the problem) until I saw a video on how to get through the level peacefully, which showed the little stairway to the left of the first train cart. Just yesterday I started playing again, and now I can't stop.

Honestly, while the first playthrough is cool for the story and atmosphere, this game actually gets more and more fun the more I play it; I'm on my 3rd playthrough, and I am having just a blast. Josh Sawyer defines an RPG as a game that lets you really step into and fill your character's shoes, as well as make an investment and pay in both a positive and negative way for it, instead of some obligatory experience points system. Honestly, in that sense, 2033 is a fantastic RPG. You make an investment in your character; purchasing armors are a hefty investment you won't get back, and you'll likely have to sell ammo for guns you aren't using to afford the stuff for ones you are, especially on Ranger difficulties. Plus, while getting the good one is pretty difficult, the presence of two endings (both of which feel justified based on how you went into the game, a pretty impressive feat IMO) gives your playthrough at least some potential for differentiation and uniqueness.

Weapon choice initially seemed shallow to me, but no weapon really functions the same, and attachments let you personalize whatever weapon is your fancy. While I would welcome a few more, not having a flood of various guns in a market in various conditions to choose from is hardly ideal; I don't want to spend time searching through junk to find ones I can afford that barely differ, only in a few stats that barely even make a difference. Having easily-distinguishable weapons that are all capable and balanced really make things more fun, and make sure that no matter what you choose, you can make your toolset work in your advantage.

Environments are just incredible; I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic environments, and seeing things like Panzers and Buggies mounted on rails were a cool surprise; the outdoor areas are dangerous and stunning; the constantly evolving enemies mean that no area is the same, and it never gets repetitive; they also look pretty damn good, even on normal settings.

Plus, the shooting mechanics are great. The linearity never really hindered the experience for me other than the occasional invisible wall, and the environments were still a blast to explore every nook and cranny of, all while constantly feeling potentially vulnerable. Stealth can be extremely tricky what with enemies being able to instantly, telepathically know where you are the second you hit someone in the leg with a throwing knife, (something I'm definitely looking to be fixed in Last Light before I pick it up) but when you do pull it off, it's extremely satisfying.

Overall, I can't get enough of this game. When LL comes out, provided that you guys make improvement to stealth sections (which I consider very likely, as it seems to be one of the major criticisms in most reviews of the game), I will definitely be picking it up. Best $10 I ever spent.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

[youtube]j-EvW4bkAxc[/youtube]

3. Chrome

Chrome Well-Known Member

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, it really is a fantastic game and I hope last light and be just as good, if not better, than metro 2033.

4. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is an amazing game, for sure! I have played it about seven times now, the last time on Ranger Hardcore. I really hope they include this difficulty in Last Light! The lack of ammo, the frantic replacement of scarce gasmasks, and the greatly improved damage parameters are all incredible. But, even though it is extremely hard, it is still extremely playable. I killed everyone on Frontlines, so that shows it isn't too hard. :)

5. VSV

VSV Active Member

Yeah, I find it really interesting how the damage scales the same for the enemies as you yet it still is harder at higher difficulties while still feeling rewarding.

6. Von Streff

Regular

Yeah, they've done an amazing job. Quite a few games just get annoying or irritating when they are this hard, but 4A found the perfect balance, the rest is up to you. Man, such an awesome game! :D

7. TrollofWar

TrollofWar Well-Known Member

The difficulty management I feel is exceptionally well done. The biggest criticism of higher difficulties on many games is that the player becomes weaker, whereas the enemies seem to become bullet sponges; it's fantastic that this isn't the case in metro 2033.

As for the game in its entirety, I've never played anything like it, and even with the sequel on its way I don't think I'll ever play anything like it again..

8. Von Streff

Regular

Your enemies bullets do more damage, but so do yours. Main thing is just keeping under cover. :)