Gog.com

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheStalker, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

So different herein America. Everyone loves their friends where they need them (We're very lazy so we don't like to use Skype to tell them they're going to play a game) so everyone always installs Steam.

2. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Well we're charged in euros in Denmark too, but I have yet to meet a Danish gamer who'd complain about it. It's more like the US where almost everyone has it, and very few are fundamentally against it.

3. Shurfire

I have no issue with steam since I'm never offline, but I understand how some people might not like steam. I just enjoy the sales they give sometimes. I don't really like GOG since they don't carry a lot of modern games. Also being a console gamer (and pc) I do enjoy physical copies but sadly for PC it's pretty hard for me to find the game that I want in a physical copy. Battlefield 3 premium is still about $60 at Walmart and Best Buy while I can get it digitally for only $30-$40. The one issue I have thought with digital copies is when the game comes out they charge the same amount as a physical copy. They still add the shipping and manufacturing costs which I think shouldn't be there. A games price could be about $10 cheaper.

Just asking is The Witcher 3 going to come out on GOG? Since the first two are.

4. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

opprobriously :)

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

GOG is managed by the company that owns the studio which made the Witcher games. I'm almost certain they'll release number 3 on GOG too. :)
    That's understandable. After all, Poland used to be (and probably still is) a country of pirates. People generally earn less money than others do in the West, so most Polish gamers don't have the cash to get new games at release with all the other payments that have to be made. This and our strong opposition towards DRM is what makes Eastern Europe pirate territory (there are even more pirates in Russia).

Still, we are getting better and better prices for PC gaming. To be honest, whenever I visit Poland, I get plenty of PC games there because they are often much cheaper than PC gaming here in the UK. Obviously though, that doesn't change the fact that the average wage in the United Kingdom is around twice as much as that of Poland. Console gaming is a completely different manner. Consoles and games (although becoming more & more affordable) are still overpriced in Poland, whilst they have more reasonable prices in England and there's a booming market for used games too.

6. Shurfire

Anyone know how much The Witcher 3 is going to be?

And I thought that the US had expensive games...

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm guessing that they'll charge the standard price for a new PC exclusive (35 quid in England), but throw in tons of stuff just like they did with the premium edition of The Witcher 2 - which was basically a smaller collector's edition but for the price of a normal package. At least I hope that's what they do. They have more money and more worldwide recognition than they ever had before, so I guess it all depends on whether they pour the extra resources into game development or game promotion.

8. Shurfire

Promotion isn't that big of a deal. They made it as a main game in a Game Informer magazine so they've got some hype.

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, but the collector's edition is stuff is also part of that. Though I agree that development of the actual game is much more important - I doubt that CD Projekt would ever disappoint in that area. :)

10. Shurfire

Even if they half ass the game it would come out decent. These guys are legit video game developers and deserve every penny. That's why I would buy the GOG version since 100% of the money would go to them instead of only 70%.

Though I do love the new early development part of steam that they just released today. It's kinda like kickstarter only kinda better since a lot of gamers don't know about kickstarter. I saw Starforge on it and just by watching the trailer of the developers (Only three guys) talking and showing things I had an instant boner. These guys are really into it and Starforge looks like it's going to be amazing. It's like a sci-fi game, minecraft, and some generic wave survival game had an orgy and out came Starforge. (Did I mention there is par core?

11. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

shurefire devs only get %15 of profit the pubs get 50% and the sponsors the rest. The devs wished they'd get 70%!

12. Shurfire

They're indie so they get it all (At least I think they are...) and steam takes 30% of all sales (considering the amount of sales steam gives a game it's a fair take).

13. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

not indie untill now. They used to use namco as a publisher.

14. Shurfire

I had a feeling that they weren't indie but I was too lazy to do research...

15. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I Love indie devs expesially the indie stones (project zomboid)