Gog.com

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheStalker, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

It's a new way to play video games. It's for people with a pretty good internet connection but without a gaming PC. It "streams" the game to your computer and you can play it. The only reason I bought a game from there was when they had a sale where the first game you buy it's only a dollar and I bought Deus Ex human revolution when it was normally 40 bucks.

2. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

Qué? I can't bash Valve for creating DRM without the intention for it to be DRM? Good morning, oxymoron. :derp: If it wasn't meant to be DRM then all they have to do is stop forcing their client onto my computer. Period. La fin. Ende.

#42 cerberus, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  3. Shurfire

That's like saying you're man that you have to have the Skype client when you want to use skype. I enjoy Steam since it has everything that I need, my friends, my games, lots of deals and sales. When I sometimes (very very very rare) get knocked off my internet offline mode works perfectly for me.

Thing is that it's really hard for me to find physical copies of games since Walmart, Best buy and Gamestop around me don't really carry much. They carry those games that sell about 5 copies a year. That and WoW.

4. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Um, yeah, delete this post. It's obsolete.

5. cerberus

What a sad and completely preposterous analogy. When a game is tied to Steam, the game itself is worthless without it. A real life contact isn't.

6. Shurfire

It's been announced long ago that if Steam was to cave in and Valve would need to cut it off they would remove the requirement to use steam and the games wouldn't have the need of steam.

7. cerberus

Which begs the rhetorical question: why include it in the first place?

8. Shurfire

To connect your games with your friends. I do wish that sometimes I wouldn't need to go through steam to play some games but I just deal with it since lots of times I get on to play Darksiders and my cousins and friends are online and they want me to get on skype and we start trolling on Garry's Mod.

9. cerberus

I respect the fact that the social aspect of modern gaming seems to be a major part of your gaming life - personally, I can do without the overly social distractions but to each his own of course - but that really is no excuse to cripple the functionality of a game by tying it to a third-party application.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yes.

11. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Gamestop is expensive as shit, I can get games for half the price and that's not even on sale.
    It's different in USA though, there it's much more fair prices. But seriously, 600 dkk (roughly 100$) for a single game here in Denmark? That's crazy :derp:

12. Shurfire

In the US a brand new game on the console is $60. On PC if it's a really really really huge game like CoD or a ESO game or a game from Bethesda it's also $60 other wise they're $50 so yea Gamestop is a lot cheaper here but I still like to get digital copies since they are normally cheaper and I'm cheap.

13. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Its $110 a game in Australia

14. Shurfire

Damn and I thought USA Gamestop was expensive.

15. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

Here in Brazil, new games usually cost R$200, that's more or less $100

16. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

That's another thing about gog. Thye charge the same price for everyone in the world. SO if we pay $60 us. You pay the equivilant of $60 us. :D

17. Shurfire

I don't know if the same thing is with steam but yea...

18. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

nope Steam WAY overprices games in other countries. Such as in uk they still pay 60 euros. Even though the euro is more than the dollar.

19. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

Since november Steam allows brazilian users to buy games using our currency, and the prices are fair. Left 4 Dead 2 costs $20 (if I'm not mistaken), but I can buy it for R$34,99 (R$1,75 per dollar). But I understand what you're talking about, $1 = €1. GOG even make fun of this on their front page. "Fair worldwide price and equal worldwide availability - because $1 is not €1"

20. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

You can buy things on Steam in the UK using British Pounds, not Euros, but they do use Euros in most other European countries. For example: Poland (which doesn't even use the Euro) get's charged in Euros on Steam. But Steam is also pretty unpopular in Poland. The average gamer there generally won't install it on his or her PC, unless it comes with a game that they really wanted to play and there's no other way to play it.