Gog.com

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by TheStalker, Feb 10, 2013.

1. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

This is run by the people who make the witcher games. This website is what steam was supposed to be. No drm!
    mark my words one day this will beat steam. Mark my words.....

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

When the gaming community gets smarter, then yes it will. Despite your young age, you really are nothing like the stereotypes people know about younger gamers, Thestalker. Perhaps if there were more smart kids like you, then this process would go even faster. ;)

3. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I think all gog needs are two things. Acheivments and more pubisherz support

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well, it definitely needs more gamer support. It's becoming more and more popular, but there's still a long way to go if we want it to replace Steam and the shocking business practices of the big publishers out there. Most publishers won't see anything good in GOG until it starts earning huge amounts of money, because that's the only thing that companies like EA, Activision and Ubisoft are interested in.

5. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

6. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

*Cough* Hello *Cough*

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Honestly, I've never even heard about GoG.com except from Cerberus and TheStalker here..

8. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Bamul has mentioned it many times as well Sakaraa.

9. cerberus

Spread the word, Skaara, this service will make you a happy PC gamer. Just like me.

10. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

Thing is though that steam wasn't meant to be a form of DRM. It was meant to be a way to combine your games with your friends. I do support GOG but if I see the same game cheaper on steam I'm getting it on steam, but if I see if cheaper on GOG I'd get it from GOG and register it on steam.

11. cerberus

Mission failed in that regard.

And yes, as a consumer you should always look for the better deal, just don't forget the conveniences of DRM-free games.

12. Shurfire

Yea I do agree since it has turned into DRM but I still think it's worth going through it. You have everything there. And depending on the game, if it's mostly multiplayer than I'd go for a steam version, if it's mostly single player DRM free would be the best.

13. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

I bought The Witcher 1 on GOG, and goddang it, it changed my life. When my internet is slow (and it usually is) Steam takes about 5 minutes just to log in, but I can play The Witcher without connecting to the internet at all. My biggest complain about GOG is the lack of modern games, of course, the site was created to sell Good and Old games, but most of the games there are unknown to me. If they managed to get more modern games on the site, I would gladly buy all the games I want from them

14. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

don't worry. that's slowly happening. It's rumored that 2k will realse all modern games with them from now on. :D

15. cerberus

Sweet atom in science, where did you hear that?!

16. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I heard it on a blog post that was removed by reguest of 2k. there was a rumor that system shock 2 was going to gog (that happened) and after that 2k was in agreement that since doing that would get pc gamers to give them more respect, they are planning to realese modern games and maybe even new ones from now. The main reason i belive this (I don't really track rumors) Is that 2k removed it from the fan's website.

17. Shurfire

You could always just load steam with offline mode.

18. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Steam never works in offline mode. And I'm scared of using it. It tracks everything you do in oflline mode not just the games. :embarassed:

19. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

I know I can play in offline mode, but doing so don't allow me to talk to my friends and see the deals, and it also gives me an unnecessary job when I want to play online because the Cloud is not synched, and in my opinion, these are the only reasons that make me tolerate Steam, but they are disabled when you are not connected to the internet. That's why GOG is better when you don't have access to the internet

20. cerberus

Yeah. Or you could just boot up the game without having to load a third-party program that shouldn't be there in the first place.