Framerate seems to lock for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion & Support' started by Nerpderp, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Nerpderp

Nerpderp New Member

First of all, I'm playing on a GTX 770 and i5 3570k.

My settings are very high quality, no SSAA, Low motion blur, Very high tesselation, and no V-sync, however I did try to mess around with these settings and the problem continues to persist once I already have it.

When I launch the game, my FPS starts fairly high. As I progress through the starting area, it slowly begins to dip and the FPS cap becomes lower and lower. By this, I mean, I have 120 + fps when I first start. I walk to the firing range and now I'm at 80, and my fps no longer surpasses 80. After I shoot a bit, my fps dips from the firing effects to about 60, and then it never goes back up. Eventually, the cap goes lower and lower, especially if I alt tab. When I alt tab, and get back into the game, I'm capped at 20 fps. If I set every setting in the game to its minimum, the fps cap remains ( So let's say I'm on very high and my fps cap is 20 fps, now I switch everything to very low and the cap is STILL 20 fps! ). Already, I find FPS below 50 extremely difficult to cope with, but this is absolutely ridiculous!

How do I stop this fps cap that constantly lowers itself? I can't get past the first 2 minutes in the game without it becoming unbearable. Thank you in advance.

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Huh, never heard of this. Obligatory "are your drivers up to date" and "did you check Nvidia control panel for vsync settings"?

3. chris89

chris89 Member

What's your OS? I'd download Display Driver Uninstaller.. allow to reboot to safemode remove all nvidia and restart it takes like 10 seconds ... restart then go into windows it'll detect the standard vga adapter then restart once more. Then download and install the latest beta 340.43 and do a clean install of just the driver/ control panel whatever and physx not all that other crap that comes with it... Restart then go into Nvidia control panel set physx to GPU, then go to the manage 3d settings and literally start from the top and set everything to "off" and set read ahead frames to max (4) as it yields more fps in testing. Set High Performance and make sure all optimizations are on and set single display performance mode. Set vsync etc everything to off and allow negative lod bias. Click apply. Then I'd suggest you download AIDA 4.3 or newer to use External Application OSD option and select cpu clock/ utilization/ free ram. Download EVGA Precision X and set up the OSD to monitor gpu core clock, utilization, memory used, and fps. Then once u setup the RTSS riva tune statistics server u can start the game and view all ur systems info in-game to know what's going on...

The 770 won't be able to pull off much more than 80fps on one card in this game... only way you will see 120fps in this game is if you have 50Gpixel/s and 150GTexel/s on your card which is Titan Realm.

2 GTX 470's have about 34Gpixel/s per card so thats 68GPixel/s a second and about 100GTexel/s a second and it'll eat it up to 120fps but they get hot.

My other question is do u use 3d on a 120Hz display? If not there's absolutely no point in running faster than 60fps because your monitor if it's a typical lcd does 60Hz that's 60fps max. I'd set Vsync in nvidia control panel and set triple buffering which will chill ur card out and maintain 60fps while running cool.... Always turn vsync off in game since Nvidia can handle vsync better than any game can.

Thanks

#3 chris89, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014