Quantcast

First playthrough: Mods or no mods?

Discussion in 'Fallout' started by llfsa, Jun 27, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

No game mods for my first walkthrough. I've been going through the campaign a lot so far and the game is really enjoyable without mods. I'm really interested to see what mods will come up.

2. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

I always play vanilla first. You can't really know what needs fixing if you haven't even played it.

3. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I would definitely play without mods first. You gotta take time to appreciate what's in the game before you can go about changing it. It's always good to really see what the game is like before modding the hell out of it.

4. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Seems like everyone is advising you to play without mods and initially that was my reaction too. However, any game (especially Fallout) can be enhanced by mods (as well as completely messed up) and I doubt you really want to re-play the game just so you can experience the mods. Agreed, Fallout is an RPG game so you can have multiple playthroughs, but my advice is to maybe use some graphic enhancement mods on your first playthrough. After all, FO3 is how old?

5. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

I'd say with a few selected mods. It's hard to go back to vanilla once you've installed all the crazy graphics and game-play mods, but a few mods on bug fixing and UI change will be very helpful. These games are from Bethesda and Obsidian, which are notorious for the amount of bugs in their games. There's no reason to subject yourself to the level of frustration that we suffer when the games were just out.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Just use mods that fix bugs and glitches or improve the quality of life in the game for you. Anything that changes the aesthetic or gameplay, use it for the second playthrough.

7. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

I'd say only use mods for performance issues. Other than that I think it would be a cool idea to play the game fresh and vanilla to experience it raw and also to see what kinds of mods you would like.

8. Jboh

Jboh Active Member Regular

I always do a no-mod playthrough just so I can get the vanilla experience the devs wanted me to have first before I go and get all the mods I need to fix their game. Although, if there are bug fix mods available, I usually grab those before I do any kind of playthrough, first or otherwise. The last thing I want is to run into some game ending bug and have to start over. Thankfully, I haven't run into anything too weird in Fallout 4. Looking forward to seeing what the modding scene can do with this game. :)

9. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I would not recommend you mods until the official Toolset is released later this year. Until then, all mods will have gigantic chances to break your game and your saved games. Just have a bit of patience. January is not so far away, after all. :D

10. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member Regular

Hmm... I would hold off from installing any mods (excluding maybe those that fix critical bugs) until the official Bethesda toolkit comes out later this year or early next year. Besides, I always like to start with a vanilla experience, and then augment it with mods in future playthroughs.

11. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

Hmm, I didn't know there were mods not only for Fallout, but for games in general, that would potentially "improve" the overall game experience, so this is a new one for me. I thought that mods were to add some other "buggy" gimmicks to the game. If we're talking about that, I think that you'd be better off without them, really. Just play the game as is. :D

12. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

You should never play your first playthrough of ANY game with drastic mods. Of course you can use quality of life mods such as UI mods or bug fixes, but i'd keep away from the content altering ones.

13. ToneyWatermeloney

ToneyWatermeloney Active Member Regular

Unless I know of some annoying thing the game has on its own that could easily be 'fixed' with a mod I go no mods on my first playthrough. (With annoying things I mean no inventory sorter and all that sort of junk.)

14. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

As said before in the thread, I wouldn't use any mods that drastically end up changing the game experience. Mods to fix bugs, change the UI or other small minor things to just make the game more personably enjoyable are fine, but things that make drastic changes to overall gameplay or balance are no-go for a first playthrough.