Cry of Fear: A Half-Life 1 Mod

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by NuclearWastE3, May 6, 2014.

1. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Cry of Fear is a horror mod built on the Half-Life 1 engine (GoldSource 1998) and TotalAaron and I are going to be playing the Co-Op campaign soon; there is also a singleplayer campaign as well. A Total of four players are allowed into the Co-Op campaign -two of those players will be Aaron and I- and we're wondering if anyone else would care to join us as we kill scary, demon mutant-ape things. It is available for free on Steam here; and if you're wondering what the download size is, it's 2.4 GB. We will give you guys a 2-3 days to decide, it depends on how quickly my sludge like internet can download this, and if any of you are interested, either post it on here or send TotalAaron and or I a message. We will try to find an appropriate time for us to get on that will suit everybody's schedule.

#1 NuclearWastE3, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  2. It's amazing and terrifying.

3. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

If I install the original Half Life from the disc that I got way back when the game originally came out - will Steam see it and allow me to mod it?

4. Most likely not. It uses a different .exe file and the patch versions don't match.

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I did not have HL1 but when you download the mod it seems to download all the core engine files

6. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I know that it originally required Half-Life 1 to run back when it first came out, but as of 2013, it became available to work straight off from Steam without requiring Half-Life 1 or any of the other Half-Life(s). The original version is still out there, but it has become outdated after several other versions have been released with different patches over the past few years -and I don't know if those versions were still made to run through Half-Life 1.

Thankfully I found this, which shows you how to install/transfer your hard copy of Half-Life 1 to Steam if you still require for Half-Life 1 to be on there. The page to where I linked you to is an official response from a developer of the mod, and I checked when he was last online and it showed that it was today; so he seem pretty active. You can also contact him through email on his profile page if you need to.

If possible, you should just try to downloading it through Steam from the link I put up so that you can avoid going through all the trouble. Steam's free by the way, just in case you were wondering. ;)

#6 NuclearWastE3, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  7. Skaara Dreadlocks

I'm interested! I've seen the game, but I'm not a fan of horror games. What I do love though, is playing online with friends, be it horror or not. And I'd love to try out to actually play a game with some from the forum :D I might download it when I get home.

8. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Yeah more people!

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Alrighty, I'm downloading it now. Add me in steam: Skaaradreads

3000th post!

#9 Skaara Dreadlocks, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Okay Skaara, sent you a friend request. Glad you joined the team ;).

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Thanks, I accepted it. I won't be able to play until Sunday though, or maybe Saturday somewhere around 10PM GMT+1..

12. NuclearWastE3

Regular

That's fine :)
    It's going to be a little difficult to find a right time for us three -so far- to get on.

My time is GMT-6 and TotalAaron's is GMT+11.

Any other's? Pip314, are you still interested?

Were you interested Komodo?

#12 NuclearWastE3, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014