"Click-through" losing focus/minimizing issue

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion & Support' started by SpydersByte, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SpydersByte

SpydersByte New Member

This issue has been so frustrating that I've barely got past the first few missions (and I bought the game near release).

My problem is this: at random times (most often after not using a mouse button for a period of time and then using it for the "first" time) the window will lose focus and put me back at desktop with the game minimized.

For example I've gone through a lengthy walk or sneak section and get to a room of enemies. My first shot at an enemy will "click through" the window as though it wasn't a focused window; it basically thinks I'm at desktop when it pertains to any mouse click (regardless of whether its an LMB/RMB or one of my thumb buttons). Once I return to the game I've now shot my gun and screwed myself tactically. Moving the mouse around to change view or pressing any keyboard buttons work fine but as soon as I actually need to use a mouse button it will click through to desktop and therefore alt-tab the game.

I also notice that the game doesn't seem to have a "safe-zone" setting for those with multiple monitors like Crysis 3 and other games. That means my mouse inevitably ends up on the secondary monitor and therefore once I click to fire it minimizes the game even if I haven't been in a long non-mouse-clicking section. This is not always the root of the problem, I've had it click-through when my mouse is on the Primary monitor.

This may seem like a minor problem but it is far from it. It severely handicaps my play and, as evident by the fact that I've maybe put 2 hours into the game since its release. Even when I can recover from the issue it breaks the flow too much to want to continue playing. Imagine lining up a perfect headshot and the moment you click fire your game minimizes to desktop so the moment you return to the game you fire and everyone is rushing you.

If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate it. Usually when something like this is common for many people you can find it though a simple google search. I can't, and therefore I'm wondering just how rare this issue is.

PC Stats if it provides any insight:
    Mobo: EVGA X79 FTW 151-SE-E777-K2 LGA 2011 Intel X79
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz
    GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-3685-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW Standard 4GB 256-bit GDDR5
    RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (x2 for a total of 16GB)
    PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1000W
    HDD(s): Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" (Primary)
    Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" (Secondary)
    An external 7200 RPM large backup that I don't know the model of (I've had ti for a while).
    Monitor(s): An Acer 24" 3D monitor... hell if I remember the model; it's the orange and black one and it's absolute crap if anyone is thinking of buying it :p (this is primary)
    A normal 24" Dell (used for secondary)
    Peripherals:
    Logitech G510 Keyboard
    Logi G700 Mouse
    Logi G13 Gamepad (rarely used)
    Logi G35 Headset
    Logi 5.1 Surround system (old enough I don't know the model number)
    nVision 3D Shutter Glasses/IR Emitter

So yea, above needed specs, and this problem happens whether I'm running the game in stereoscopic 3D 120Hz or standard 2D 60Hz.

Any ideas guys?

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

This reminds me of a somewhat similar problem I've had with Garry's Mod;
    I'm in-game, then all of a sudden the game VISUALLY lays down automatically out of nowhere, regardless if I'm pushing anything or not. The screen is black for a few seconds, as my computer needs some loading-time to lay down the game. It then arrives at the desktop, but only visually. If I push WASD, I can hear myself walking around in-game, or shooting with the primary mouse-button. I can control myself, I'm just stuck on the desktop visually. I've tried CTRL+ALT+DELETE, tried laying down the game and reopening it, I've tried everything, but eventually I am forced to End The Process and start up the game all over again which takes some time, considering I'm joining an online-server.

Sorry for going off-track here, but my point is: I don't know if I'm being delusional or anything, but it seems to me that this problem arises somewhat more often when running two monitors rather than just one. Running two monitors also lags me out, it makes my FPS drop.

Have you tried disconnecting the second monitor?

When moving your view around with the mouse in-game, your mouse-pointer should not end up on the second monitor. Yet, when I'm laggy and/or I move the mouse very fast to the side, it can sometimes manage to get onto the other separate monitor. Maybe that's a possibility?

3. SpydersByte

SpydersByte New Member

Yea, two monitors are sometimes problematic. The problem is Metro doesn't set a safe zone like most games do. The majority don't allow your mouse to move onto the other monitor, it has the boundaries of your primary. However, I'm not always on my second monitor when this issue happens, and unlike yours my own occurs on the first mouse click after some time without input. Also, when mine minimizes I'm not still controlling my character. You're visually at the desktop, I actually am at the desktop. When I return to the game it's paused and the moment I unpause it, it does the action that triggered the minimize (usually a LMB shot).

I haven't tried disconnecting the monitor though I suppose I could for no other reason to see if that's the root of the problem. I hadn't tried it because this should be a fixable issue and I shouldn't need to physically disconnect a monitor every time I want to play it :) I play a lot of games and that would be a massive pain in the ass, along with sacrificing one of my monitors when I use two for a reason :)

4. Vusion

Vusion New Member

Same problem plaguing me as well now. I recently upgraded my GPU and my cursor has been doing this every since, was using two 560ti's in sli, upgraded to a R9 290. Now i cant keep the cursor from going to my second screen.... The fact that this game does not have the option for a safe zone is complete B.S.. Their is no way in hell im going through the hassle of disconnecting my second monitor every time I play MetroLL. After trying to deal with this for the last two weeks (because i really do enjoy the game when it works) I finally said screw it and just uninstalled it. Too bad I cant get my money back.

5. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

i wonder whats causing this its happining in ARMA 2 and Napolean total war i wonder if its my OS bugging up? its even happing in Europa universalis 4 how dare it!

6. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, I have some good news. The problem I mentioned earlier in this thread about Garry's Mod... I've fixed it. After many months of agonizing pain over this problem, and hours spent on trying to find a fix but not a single clue to anybody having the same problem, I finally meet one person who actually has the same problem, and knows what's causing it; It was the Graphics Card. Nvidia somethingsomething. She and I had the exact same card, and exact same problem. After switching to a new Graphics Card (and pretty much switched out all other parts in my computer-shell btw), the problem hasn't occured even once! :D

I also used to lag in Garry's Mod when there were many players on the server and I was looking in the direction of everyone. Now, I never lag in Garry's Mod and I can drive it on full graphic settings with 0% lag, running smoothly.
    The same problem was with Chivalry: Medieval Warfare; I'd get my ass constantly kicked, and the game was unplayable because I lagged just about enough for me to never be able to be faster in reflexes than my enemy. Hopefully, with my newer PC parts, that'll be fixed. I've installed it and am gonna try it now :D