Character complexity?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Lostvalleyguy, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

In order to make games more accessible to a younger audience, I think that character creation and building has simplified to the point where most builds are homogenous and inside the box.

Trait points are good, but the trees that require all points dedicated in a line to get a skill are not good.

If I practice with a sword, why am I now better with a bow?

What are your thoughts on raising the bar and having players make decisions that will produce truly unique characters in the end?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Even though your character build might will make you have to think more and might draw some people away from the game I still don't think it would make the player any more unique at all are for me it wouldn't usually in games I choose my own build and I like it that way and having the option to do that actually can create builds that most people don't use so in away it makes it more unique in my opinion.

3. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

It think it should have the option of basic or advanced. You decide whether you want your character to be simple or complicated, instead of limiting everybody to just basic character design.

4. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree that they should come out with levels of difficulty that players choose. Kids would go for basic and adults would go for advanced. It'd depend. At this point I feel that PC versions offer more variety than console.

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

A more advanced and complex system would be better for most players, and it's a shame that developers have to cater to casual players for certain types of games.

6. Christian46

Christian46 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think skill trees should be more complex, but well explained. There also shouldn't be an unnecessary skills that clog up the tree.

7. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I also agree we should have a choice. We can't defavorize a category of people, even if they pertain to the minority, just because other people can't play to the same standards. I don't know though..

8. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

I'm all for complex characters and decisions. That's how you make the game interesting.

9. jayres

jayres Member

I agree that it has been simplified to the point of being very linear. The breadth of possible characters has definitely been reduced. Additionally, the number of viable builds has reduced as well. It seems there is always a clearly optimal choice. Even if it is possible to go for a wildly different build, the game isn't often balanced enough to make it worth doing anway.

10. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

In the Dragon age origins game you make a character and depending on origin how people interact with you is different than others and was enjoyable also sometimes the choices were hard at times. In the Witcher game in the begining you can set the skills but are requried to do it before starting the game unlike the Origins game or the second witcher game which was annoying as had to set it up and think about it. I reckon the choices in, The witcher had lesser evil mostly like when you do the Blue eyed lass one, you find out the vampires are not evil and don't drink human blood just animal one and the girl's brother was trying to get her married to some old guy and attacks you if you decide to let the women go and you are told you chose the lesser evil.

11. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

Why does a game have to be accessible and easy for a younger audience? Why do we have to water things down to make it more generally appealing? I've never played an MMO and thought "This is really tough, and I have too many choices". That's the question I ask myself when I see these games or features that are overly simplified. It's a little frustrating from a player's perspective. But then, I can understand other people who do have that opinion, who feel the games are too challenging.

My husband plays EQ, and by the time you hit max level and have really invested a ton of time in the game, all high levels can do everything. He's a caster class, but he can sit there and melee and tank and cast and heal and he has no need for group members or anything. It's because his choices in character creation and progression really don't matter anymore. It doesn't matter that he's a caster wearing a robe. He might as well be wearing steel lol.