Bullet Sponges?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Teddy Picker, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Alright, many of you may have seen this before, but I'm just starting to see it in Last Light interview comment sections. Do you guys think that Metro 2033's enemies are "bullet sponges"? Like, what difficulty are these people playing on, easy?

THQ, 4A: if anyone is reading this (that means you Joe :D) please, PLEASE try and get information out there that tells the masses that Metro 2033/Last Light's enemies aren't bullet sponges. This kind of misinformation is almost as bad as saying Metro 2033 is "glitchy and bugged" (I've never experienced any glitches, but apparently the IGN reviewer had a few problems).

2. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

play max payne 3 for example they have it right. You shoot enemy AI and they will either die depending where you hit them or if they are wearing body Armour. If they are hit they don't stand there, they will fall back, or take cover, but if you continually fire at them they will die.

AI is very complex.

3. Teddy Picker

Indeed. It's just I can't fathom the whole "bullet sponge" thing, I mean even if I shoot a guy in the chest with a Bastard he'll go down. The only "bullet sponge" in the game is the Librarian, and even there Komodo Saurian was able to kill a black one with two throwing knives to the head. :rant:

4. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I totally agree. I've never experienced any glitches through my eight playthroughs... IGN must just have bad players. :)

5. Ranger_of_the_new_world

Ranger_of_the_new_world Well-Known Member

Well in Metro 2033 if you didnt used stealth on the Frontline the nazis soldiers where kinda bullet sponges to. It was just radiculious how much demage they coud take sometimes...

6. One bullet is a ridiculous amount?

7. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

Komodo, sometimes I emptied half a clip and they'd still stand...

8. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I understand why IGN said what they did. For one reason Metro is mostly dark and visibility in the game is low, so when killing people you have not got a clue who is wearing armour on their head or body. So when killing someone which takes lots of bullets leaves the player questioning themselves.

Metro have said that they will give more audio cues to the player with sound when bullets hit the enemy so that should be a thing of the past.

Also don't forget IGN are COD players. The whole industry can discredit that game and yet IGN will give it a 10/10. COD players just spray and pray and get easy kills. Metro is not like that, the Bastard gun, starts to overheat, has massive recoil and can not only impair your vision with the smoke making whatever you kill harder to see, but I bet it can even burn your hand if you try hard enough lol.

Weapons in the Metro need skill to use. IGN don't have any.

Edit - Were there hitmarkers in 2033? I can't recall that there was, so that would make it difficult to determine if your shots connected.

9. Teddy Picker

No hitmarkers were present. I wouldn't like the feature, to be honest.

10. Ranger_of_the_new_world

Ranger_of_the_new_world Well-Known Member

If you are fighting one on one then yes, you can aim normally, but when you against 10 nazis and some of them just spam granedes at you and you try to shoot back from normal combat distances sometimes one good armored nazi takes all my Kalash clip to kill...

11. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

See that is the problem then.

Not that I want Metro to include hit markers but when you shoot at the enemy AI in COD and you get a hit marker for each bullet that connected it gives the gamer visual feedback and is used to judge how many is needed to kill everyone else.

Everyone wants a consistent combat system and if that is what IGN want from Last Light then I agree with them.

12. "Emptying half a magazine" and "Hitting 10/15/20 times" are different things.

Check the spread on these firearms, chances are you were hitting anything but the target:

[YOUTUBE]mt_wKnjfHmY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OKdWLl5k1Zw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]P8Y_QUY7_TE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Fhpgr1kQAGs[/YOUTUBE]

13. cerberus

Magazine, I stand corrected. Either way, I've played through 2033 more than fifteen times (at least), I'm quite sure I was hitting the enemy.

14. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Dirty ammo and bastard gun then. I have to say, if you for example fire 3 shots into their body armor and wait 30 seconds or so, then fire another 3 shots, they may survive it. But for the most part a 3 shot burst to the torso or face kills them.

15. cerberus

Scoped VSV, dirty ammo, short burts, Ranger HC, Frontlines. It doesn't happen every time but once in a while there's the random enemy that takes an unusual amount of punishment.

16. Fine.

I just loaded up the game and checked. Keep in mind the armor system implemented by the 4A Games (Every pouch, helmet, magazine or armor plate substracts a certain amount of damage dealt by a projectile that hits them) and the fact that the damage dealt by projectiles rises with difficulty level, both yours and your opponent's.

Frontline level, AK-74M.

Easy
    • "Dirty" 5.45 - 3 body shots, 1 head/neck shot
    • MGR - 2 body shots, 1 head/neck shot

Ranger Hardcore
    • "Dirty" 5.45 - 1 body shot, 1 head/neck shot
    • MGR - 1 body shot, 1 head/neck shot

17. cerberus

And that's absolutely, 100% true for the most part of the game. But I told you, 'sometimes', usually after extended hours of gameplay, one or two soldiers absorb way too many bullets than normal (mostly at the end of the level near the prisoners).
    But I know for a fact that there's something wrong with one enemy in dry station; the guy sitting next to the hookah in the crates "labyrinth". At point blank range he survived multiple shotgun blasts, a knife-throw or half a magazine of the AK before getting up.
    EDIT: Forgot to mention that these issues occur on the 360 version of the game.

#17 cerberus, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  18. I don't believe there can be anything "random" with the math. You can hit an armor plate, you can miss entirely, but mobs in the game will never have more health than a pre-defined amount.

19. cerberus

Since I don't have the luxury of a capture card, it's your word against mine for now.

20. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Glitching is fairly common. And glitching is some kind of loophole in the codes. So maybe the developers forgot a certain detail that makes this one guy have the health of a librarian :)