Aliens: Colonial Marines

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Feb 12, 2013.

?

Is Aliens: Colonial Marines really that bad?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

So the reviews have started appearing and it looks like the game is grabbing all sorts of terrible ratings. I'm a huge fan of Aliens/Predator (loved the movies, even Alien Resurrection and the first AvP were decent in my eyes... of course, AvP Requiem was utter shite even though Wolf was badass). I personally found the 2010 AvP game to be quite good - even though it was nothing like the legendary AvP2 PC title from 2001.

Anyway, back to CM, I can't say I'm surprised looking at these scores since the last time that Randy Pitchford was this excited about a game was when Gearbox ruined Duke Nukem. Here are some of the scores Colonial Marines has gotten so far:

Destructoid - 2.5/10
    IGN - 4.5/10
    GameSpot - 4.5/10

To those of you who have played the game: is it really that bad?

2. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

I've heard it is quite fun on the hardest difficulty.

3. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

I enjoyed AVP 2010. The graphics were amazing, the gameplay was solid and it had a pretty good story. The multiplayer was fun even though it only lasted about a year. I thought it was worth the money I paid, and I was hoping to pick up this title after I saved up some money after buying LL.

4. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

Yes. It is. It's garbage. Total. Fucking. Garbage.

Another fine Eurogamer review (3/10).

Go play Alien Trilogy (pc, ps1) or Alien Resurrection (ps1) instead.

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I've always wanted to check out those two titles, but I never got around to it. I wouldn't expect them to be better than AvP2 (2001), but I'd still like to try them out someday. :p

6. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

PCGamer gave it a score of 48/100, and the User Score on Metacritic is 4.5/10, so, yeah, I don't believe this is a very good game

7. Shurfire

See I normally don't take reviews to heart like others do but when every review site, every player review site says the game sucks it most likely does. GameInformer gave AVP 2010 a 6/10. Other sites gave it around 6 or 7 but I thought the game was a solid 8.5 but that's just me.

I'm extremely sad to see the game with such bad reviews. Guess I'll just wait until it's in the bargin bin for like 10 bucks and pick it up for the story since I have to get it being the Aliens fan that I am. Still think the original AVP games were amazing though.

8. cerberus

Good luck with that as well. The story shits itself inside out within the first ten minutes. I knew this would happen from the moment that Randy Pitchford charlatan started yelling "CANON CANON CANON!" and "It's the true sequel to Aliens!" every ten seconds in their manipulative developer interviews. There's only one true sequel to Aliens and that's the nihilistic work of art that is Alien³'s Assembly Cut; anything that came after this is fanfic spin-off bile - which, incidentally, A:CM richly proves to be.

#8 cerberus, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  9. Shurfire

Even though it may suck I just gotta play it some how. I couldn't stand myself if I didn't play it at some point. That's why I'd pick it up for $10 since it would be pretty cheap and since I'm pretty easy going on video games I might find it pretty fun. I really enjoyed Dead Island even though many people thought it was bad. I loved playing it through with my friends and we had a blast. Best part was this:

Me: Imma drift this bitch!
    Friend: No don't you're gonna drive us off the cliff!
    *Drifts gets car stuck on rock*
    Friend: DAMN IT NOW WE HAVE TO WALK ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE GUARD TOWER CARRYING THE JUICE!
    Me: At least we don't have to carry them up the mountain :)

So if it delivers some fun and for only around 10 bucks I'll be happy.

10. icedragon15

icedragon15 Well-Known Member

it on sale right now on steam 80% off the whole triology and i say it not that bad at all compare to bfbc2 yes i know some people like it but i hell dont like bfbc2 but it not bad it fine game it just bad matchmaking but rest is not bad

11. cerberus

Bit of a mix-up here, we were talking about the 1996 Alien Trilogy (ps1, saturn & pc) and the ps1 exclusive Alien Resurrection.

#11 cerberus, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  12. cerberus

[YOUTUBE]3z2qVebxlUo[/YOUTUBE]

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I'm glad to meet another person who enjoyed Alien 3.

14. cerberus

It's my all-time favourite movie ;)

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Interesting... personally, I can't say which of the first three Alien films I liked the most. Alien started it all and was probably one of the first proper alien horror/thriller flicks that don't look overly cheesy today. Aliens had a really simple and cliché action film formula when you look at it this way, but it's all done so perfectly... and, well, much of the stuff used wasn't cliché at the time. The third one... I really can't explain what made it great off the top of my head. It just IS great. I'd have to watch it again sometime to remember. Anyway, all three of these films qualify as some of my favourite films of all time, but I can't pick only one. Might have to make a new thread just for that.

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Huh... well, what do you know... I was always sure that the game used to look much better. It's a real shame what's happened with Colonial Marines. There was so much potential, but it seems that Pitchford likes to screw up other people's franchises. Though personally I can't say I ever found Borderlands as exciting as most people say it is either. Actually, I never finished the game because I found it so dull. So maybe Gearbox just isn't a good developer. Then again, I have some interesting memories from a Brothers in Arms game I tried once.

17. cerberus

What you are about to read in the spoiler below makes this argument all the more valid.
    They brought back Hicks. Yes. How? By pulling a cheap cop-out out of their Hollywood cocksucking arses: prior to the crash, his cryotube was removed and replaced with someone else's. Fuck this insulting fanfic spin-off to oblivion.

Here's your precious Hicks. He's dead and that's final.
    [​IMG]

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, that just made me realize... they brought back Hicks?! :tsk: Not saying that he was a bad character (not really a brilliant one either), but I think people have raped Alien 3 and the changes it made enough already. It's time to give that extraterrestrial ass a rest, ffs.

19. Shurfire

Wow. If the game was an indie game developed for a year it would be expected. But this was a game developed for years. I knew it looked bad from the gameplay and I said "Idc if it looks bad, when it hits bins imma take it for like 10 bucks" but now seeing the comparing video idk if I'll even do that...

20. cerberus