A tribute to Metro

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Darkbringer, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I wanted a way of saying thanks to Dmitri, 4A Games and THQ, and this place seemed like the right one.
    Please listen to this while reading my story:
    [YOUTUBE]CXxplJIs_K8[/YOUTUBE]

Last year, in the autumn, I went to Sweden with my parents for the holidays. I am now pretty sure it was one of, if not the best, vacation in my life, even though I've been many places by now.
    I had just bought my Metro 2033 book, and was really looking forward to reading it, so I read the cover on the ferry, listening to the tunes of Eminem's relapse CD.
    As soon as we reached our cottgae, I laid down in the couch and started reading. I was listening to the main menu track from the game, and I really lived into the role of Artyom,
    sitting in the last refuge of humanity, the farthest outpost, looking into the campfire while listening to the stories of his comrades. I think I read 100 pages every day.
    Whenever the urge came, I flipped open my laptop, trying to get the good ending, listening to the tales of stalkers, vagabonds and guitar players alike, before beginning the journey of my life. As I embarked into the unknown, armed with my bastard and revolver, I felt the burden of my mission on my shoulders. I had to save Exhibition.
    On my journey, I met many charismatic personalities, Bourbon with his tragi-comical sense of humor, Khan with his philosophical thoughts, Ulman with the jokes, ever optimistic Miller and many others.
    I battled demons, lurkers and humans, losing many good friends and comrades trying to save my home station.

When I got to Ostankino tower, only to find out that I had failed to save the dark ones, I felt the same disappointment as Artyom must have felt. Only disrupted by walks in the beautiful autumn forests and visits to the swedish candy shops, I immersed into the world of Metro. The word "cosy" isn't fair to the feeling I had. I called the feeling "metro", and I'm sure some of you have experienced it too. If only I could thank Dmitri and the developers, a donation or something, it would be my pleasure. But for now, I'll have to re-read Metro 2033 for the third time, waiting for Metro 2034 to be released in danish on the 10th of October. Just in time for me to bring on my next trip to Sweden.

Now you may say my writing is not the best, or that I am "forever alone", but this is what Metro means to me. I will most likely update this later.

#1 Darkbringer, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  2. BORIS13

BORIS13 Well-Known Member

Hey man this is awesome :). the same thing happened to me. I bought the book last summer before we left to Russia for summer. I read it with the same passion you did in the city and in our cottage as well. Very peacefull. And when i finished the book. I swear i almost cried. like no joke. Thats how good the book was for me. :) Thanks you Dmitry!

3. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

I found my book of Metro 2033 laying all alone in a little library in a little city that you have never heard of before while i was having some boring holidays.
    I raised it to the light to read the title:" Metro...2033? What is this?"
    I forgot to look for other books and bought it immediately.
    As soon as i arrived to where i was staying i started reading,and day went by like wind in a blizzard.
    Everytime i read something about what was called the "survivors" in the book,i felt like crying if i imagined all the beaty that we could destroy.
    At the same time,i felt the need to take part in building what was left of a destroyed world...and here i am.