A Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheDarknessEnvelops, Feb 5, 2017.

1. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

This is a query but I'm going to try and make a short film about two german soldiers stuck in a blizzard in 1943. I have the two actors, me and another friend but I'm lacking in pretty much everything else such as a dslr camera and any german uniform and I have found ways of buying/renting this equipment but I was wondering if any of you owned any of these things, not to ask could I have them but just advice on where to get them. The camera though, that shit be expensive

2. Thelastknown

Thelastknown Well-Known Member

The camera depends, if this is a one off or the start of a whole series.
    I got a Canon 600D for 600 euros, dont forget you will need a tripod too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G361F met Tapatalk

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Would love to help with this since the idea sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure if I can. In terms of acquiring old militaria, I have mostly just used e-Bay tbh (was lucky enough to find a kickass coat and helmet from the army of the Polish People's Republic once), but for older stuff like full WW2-era uniforms... well, you would probably have to be extremely lucky to find something like that on e-Bay and not go bankrupt paying for it.

I know a few bazaars in Poland where you might be able to find stuff like that, maybe even authentic ones, but that solution won't be very practical at all for you. :p A quick peek on Allegro (think of it as a Polish e-Bay) showed me only two relevant results: some guy is selling two used (but washed) full replica sets of a Wehrmacht uniform for an artillery general. The price is not too bad at 750 złoty (around 150 quid) each considering you get the full sets from cap to boots, so I guess it's kinda feasible if all of the crew members were to pool in... plus you wouldn't have to worry about wearing stuff that was once used by a real Nazi.

But even if yous did wanna shell out so much money on these replicas, there's a problem because if I remember correctly Allegro doesn't allow shipping outside of Poland by default. I think they may have a feature where it's possible to arrange that between indivudal buyer and seller accounts. Even so, I'm not sure if they'd let it through at the UK border. :eek:hwell:

4. TheDarknessEnvelops

Thelastknown, thanks for the advice. The tripod and all that will be costy and I don't know whether it will be a long series or not. My dream would be to have the capabilities to make a proper miniseries ala the pacific or band of brothers, showing both the bad and good sides of the wehrmacht unlike generation war which, while good and accurate, did push the whole genocide and war crimes to the side a bit.

Bamul, I've found some sites which sell german militaria but my problem is the great coats as they cost so much more than everything else so I might have to settle for the winter parka's that they wore.

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, sadly most authentic WW2-era gear is quite expensive nowadays, sorry I can't help you with that. But I really like the idea of a miniseries a la Band of Brothers yet from the German point of view. Although I hate Nazism, the Third Reich and everything they stood for (not only because of the Holocaust and the generally disgusting principles they stood for but also due to my family history) - many people do forget that not every member of the Wehrmacht was pure evil like the SS or other parts, after all many of them were just young people who were drafted whether they liked it or not.

It might be ironic since I'm Polish, but one of my favourite war films is actually German - it's called "Stalingrad", from 1993. I thought it stroke a nice balance between rightfully demonising the German leadership while also not forgetting that many of the men filling the ranks were just people who were part of a bigger tragedy. Above all, it was refreshing to see a WW2 movie from the German POV that at the same time wasn't pro-Nazi or German nationalist. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet, though it is quite long so leave it for a free afternoon.

6. TheDarknessEnvelops

That's what I want to show if I ever get round to it. The German army for the most part, while indoctrinated, was an army much like any other and it is interesting to think that it's weird how one of the most intelligent and educated countries in the world at that time could be have fallen so completely for Nazism.
    Also, I have to agree on Stalingrad, it's an excellent film and the scene where they been sent to the penal battalion and are fighting the russian tanks is probably one of the best filmed war scenes in film history