5 million + sold?!

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by shadegrilllock, Jun 7, 2015.

1. shadegrilllock

As Steve Fowler stated during a lecture over 5 million units were sold globally. This is since a long time the first officially launched number.

The release of HoT was located in "this summer".

2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

They dropped the price to ten bucks on a few occasions. Probably why they are announcing the new number. I know I picked it up for that price.

3. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Not all sales are equal in terms of profits - when you sell the game for $10 only about a couple of bucks goes to the Dev studio.

Also sales in China, and many other markets in terms of profits are less than a dollar per copy.

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

Yeah it's true they sold about 3 mil copies and then another 2 mil for cheap.

But hey at least the 5 mil number is honest.

So this isn't a blatant lie like the FF14 add exclaiming "4 million players"

5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

Yeah it's true they sold about 3 mil copies and then another 2 mil for cheap.

But hey at least the 5 mil number is honest.

So this isn't a blatant lie like the FF14 add exclaiming "4 million players"

6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

It's possible that some players may have spent the initial 10 dollars and bought some gems with another 20-30 if they felt the need for some bank space. It may be a smaller percentage but surely there are some out there who felt it may've been okay to put a few bucks in.

7. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Cool success for GW2. And I think that they totally deserve it, as GW 2 is one of the best MMORPGs of the last 2 decades or so, I would say.

8. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's a great figure and I'm glad for them cause honestly I like that the purchasable things aren't game breakers/changers. Plus the lack of subs is another bonus for them. Their model is working.

9. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The big thing to remember is they are setting up potential customers for expansions. Many of those people who got the game for $10, are now going to end up buying expansions at full price. give them the razor, sell them the razorblades type of model.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nice to see that GW 2 have done relatively well in terms of sales. When you compare it to games like GTA V 5 million sound really low, but it's actually a pretty big number. That's at least 50 million dollars (if everyone bought the game for $10, which I doubt) + DLCs.