Quantcast

Zelda Series on Netflix

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by bavinnie, May 5, 2015.

1. bavinnie

bavinnie Active Member

So apparently netflix is working on a live action tv show for "The legend of zelda" They are apparently working very closely with nintendo on the project in the interest of protecting their intellectual property as a whole. Some have commented that because of this there is a chance that the show will not become a reality. Netflix is describing it as " Game of thrones, for a family audience." You can read about yourself here:

http://www.youthhealthmag.com/artic...endo-game-game-of-thrones-family-audience.htm

2. Jesse93

Jesse93 Member

What? I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I love Legend of Zelda. I love Game of Thrones. But I'm not sure if the two should be mixed and I'm not sure how Zelda would do as a tv show.

3. LadyCygnet

LadyCygnet Member

The Legend of Zelda series is my favorite series of all a time, and while I'm excited about the prospect of a great new series, I'm also terrified that it might turn out like the Super Mario Bros. movie. With the right cast, crew, writers, and directors, though, it could be something wonderful. There is a lot of story material available, and the multiple games and peoples of the Legend of Zelda universe create the potential for conflict-driven stories that aren't just a retelling of the games. The Civil War period, for instance, could be a great place to start, setting up the background for the later games of the timeline, such as Ocarina of Time.

Outside of the story, I'm worried about how they'll make Ganondorf in his Gerudo form look. While I have seen a couple of decent cosplays here and there, the bulk of the live action Ganondorfs look like giant angry leprechauns.

4. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

Wait a minute here.

Wasn't this whole thing proven to be fake? Nintendo said something about not doing any t.v. shows with any of their IP at the time and that the rumor going around is incorrect information?

5. LadyCygnet

LadyCygnet Member

Well, yes and no. Time did a brief interview with the CEO of Nintendo, Saturo Iwata, and he said that he had no news to share about a TV series based on any Nintendo property being in the works, and he did say that the report on the new Legend of Zelda live action series on Netflix was "not based on correct information." Please note that he said that he had "no news to share," and that the article about a LoZ series on Netflix was "not based on correct information." He didn't outright deny it, which could either be due to a translation error...or it could be him neatly sidestepping the issue so that if there is a series in the works for a Nintendo property, it remains a surprise until it is ready to be shown to the world.

6. Valentino

Valentino Active Member

If they do go ahead with it I think it'd be pretty interesting to watch! I haven't played many of the new Legend of Zelda games but I would still give a TV series a shot, especially on Netflix since those shows are pretty damn good!

7. LadyCygnet

LadyCygnet Member

If they could get some fantastic writers on board, it would rock. It would be especially awesome if they chose some of the better fanfiction authors out there to help the cobble together a series that respects the games and the series's rich history while creating compelling, watchable episodes that draw in a broader audience.

And if they really are looking for something that is a "family-friendly Game of Thrones" type of series, I stick by my belief that the Hyrule Civil War would be the perfect setting.

8. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member Regular

I'd love to see a live action Legend of Zelda, but it has to be a comedy. I swear if they try to make it all Game of Thrones series it just won't work, they need to break out the old "excuuuuuuuseee me, princess." line from the original cartoon. Ha.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Heh, I feel the other way. If NETFLIX was to do it, I'd want it as gritty and realistic as possible, while still having Peter-jackson-esque CGI with the grittiness of Game Of Thrones.

Or else just don't do it. Live actions tend to butcher everything. Do it right, or not at all.

10. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

It'd be really interesting but I hope it also has some comedy as well as a sort of realistic feel to it. Or at least, sticking with some of the game aspects. I really hope that it turns out greater than expected.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Definitely keep Link as a "Silent" hero and just have the episodes be about the poor stuff that happens to him - like he HAS to go fight a dungeon because a friend is in danger, or breaking pots for rupees/cutting grass because he's broke and on a binger at the archery range. So much freedom lol.

12. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was ever for sure proven to be an untrue rumor or not, but either way, sounds like it could be interesting. I don't know how on earth they'd go about doing it, though. Its always weird to see what they do with a silent protagonist in movie/TV show adaptions of video games, and I'm usually not much of a fan of the results. I'd probably still watch it if they did indeed make a TV show of this, lol. I'd be interested in seeing what actors they'd have involved, too. I've never seen an actor that I thought was very... "Link-ish".

13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

This TV series would be awesome just as long as everyone else is awesome from writers to actors. Will they have this show in other languages or countries too?

14. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

It could work. Why not? :3

15. TheRedCap

TheRedCap Active Member Regular

My hope is that it exceeds beyond all expectations and is both a fantastic show as well as one that is able to draw a wide viewership. If it succeeds, I hope this gives Nintendo more incentive to create media with some of it's other IPs, mainly Metroid, Pokemon, Earthbound, and Star Fox. I would love all types of quality tv shows to pop up from all these sources and really make Nintendo not only a game creator but also a media creator. Maybe I just really want a live-action Pokemon series...

16. Humble

Humble Member Regular

I would most definitely be interested in this, my only problem is that I wouldn't want it to be for a family audience. I want it to be as mature as Game of Thrones in the sense of action scenes. I also would need them to have one scene where Link attacks a chicken because he's frustrated or something and a flood of chickens just attack him. That would make the show a 10 in my book.

17. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

As pretty much everyone else said on here, I'd definitely be interested in this. In fact, if the Shannara Chronicles on MTV can be successful, I think the Legend of Zelda on the small screen would definitely work. Even more so... I just wish Nintendo would get over the fact that the Super Mario Bros. movie sucked and just try again.