Quantcast

Your starter choice

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by ConureKeeper1990, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ConureKeeper1990

ConureKeeper1990 Active Member

Hello everyone!

I was wondering which starters you chose in each generation, or whichever generation you played. Was your choice strongly influenced by type, or did you choose based on which Pokemon looked the coolest to you?

My very first starter in Pokemon Red was Charmander. I chose it mainly because I liked its whole evolutionary line. In Pokemon Silver, I chose Totodile since it looked the coolest to me. At the time I was ignorant of every starter's evolutionary line too, so training and watching Totodile grow was interesting.

In short, I am more influenced by the Pokemon itself and not its type when I choose my starter. What about you guys?

2. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I generally choose water types because almost all the games usually start out with gym leaders weak against water types. If I wanted to play Pokemon on 'hard mode' I'd go with fire types. Looks didn't really affect me since they were all cool in their way with two exceptions. Two starters I completely ignored was Chimchar and Tepig. I just have a huge dislike toward monkeys and pigs and both starters are those respectively.

3. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I remeber crearly that in the first generation I've chosen Squirtle for two simple reason: the name sounds so damn cool and the other one is of it's really cute face.

4. dreamocracy

dreamocracy Member

Squirtle is my favorite overall pokemon, so I always chose Squirtle in Gen 1. But other than Squirtle an Piplup (and Pikachu in Yellow), I always choose Fire Starters because I tend to be drawn to them and it ensures that I have a decent fire type - it seems like it is usually easier to find another good water or grass type than fire. With Pokemon X, I chose Fennekin and had the intention of choosing Squirtle afterwards, but ended up going for Bulbasaur since I was lacking a good grass/poison type.

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I normally went with fire types since it was hard to find a fire type with them being a short amount compared to the other pokemon types. Also, it was funny burning the crap out of anyone that stood in my way.

6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Pretty much always the fire type Pokemon, sometimes the Water. I think like literally once or twice I've gone the leaf Pokemon on a few re-runs.

7. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I usually go for the water starter, as they're the best choices for early on in the game. I also find them the cutest, as Piplup and Oshawott are absolutely adorable, and Mudkip was truly amazing.

8. OoTWISTERoO

OoTWISTERoO Active Member

I really like Charmander just because it's evolutions are amazing. Squirtle is very cute too.

9. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

I used to always go for Bulbasaur, but nowadays I think I'd choose charmander. Charmander is the one who evolves into Charizard, and everyone loves Charizard.
    In second generation I'd go for Chikorita, in third one probably Torchic and in fourth Piplup. I can't really decide on the fifth one, it would likely be Tepig. I am not really fammiliar with any generations above that, so I can't talk for those.

10. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

First gen, I chose Squirtle. Second gen, I chose Totodile. Third, Treecko. Fourth, Chimchar. Fifth, Oshawott. Sixth, Fennekin. I mix it up, really just based on whichever I like most. I usually either choose water or fire, though.

11. lunaticred

lunaticred Member

Originally, Charmander was always my starter pokemon. In Pokemon X, I chose Flareon. I really admire fire pokemons because I think they're just super cute yet edgy. Fire is my favorite element, which is self-explanatory.

12. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

I choose either Charmander or Squirtle. I was never a plant-type kind of trainer so it didn't matter what started I chose just as long as it wasn't plant type. Sorry bulbasaur.

13. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I really enjoyed the fire types because they were just generally cooler. I mean, they were just so cute and just cuddly, and then bam! They burn your face off for getting in my way for a gym badge. :p

14. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member Regular

A lot of the time I chose water or fire; I very rarely chose grass! And I usually chose them based on how cool I thought they looked, and what their final evolutions turned out to be like!

15. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

I have never picked a grass type starter in any play through on any of the games. I have never really liked their designs (With the exception of Chikorita)

Gen 1: Charmander
    Gen 2: Totodile
    Gen 3: Mudkip
    Gen 4: Chimchar
    Gen 5: Oshawott
    Gen 6: Yet to play but I would probably choose Fennekin or Froakie

16. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
    Gen 2: Cindaquil
    Gen 3: Mudkip

Have yet to try the other gen games.

17. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I always went for the fire type pokemon. On any Pokemon game or generation. It's just that, they are really cool. And I never pick the grass type pokemon.

18. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

My goto types were usually fire types since they USUALLY looked cool. I loved Charmander, Torchic and Cyndaquil. After them I simply didn't care anymore. Stupid designs. I went for water types after that. With the first generation, sometimes I'd go for a water type because I simply loved having an arcanine as my main fire.

19. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member Regular

I picked squirtle when I first started playing. My reasoning was simple: he turns into a turtle with cannons. How badass is that? It's been almost 20 years since then :(

20. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I picked Bulbasaur for a similar reason. He turns into a dinosaur with a giant plant in the back that can fire sunlight from it. For some reason I liked that idea better than a fire dragon or a turtle with cannons.