Your first MMO?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by Disparity, Feb 3, 2012.

1. megadelayed

megadelayed Active Member

My first MMO was Starcraft, that was what really got me into pvp online gaming. Since then, I have started to enjoy a much more diverse range of games, and MMORPG's are one of my mostly played genres. I really like Free Roam MMO's like Tera and Guild Wars especially.

2. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

Wow, I think my first was Runescape. Now that brings back memories. I remember being a helpless tween falling for every trick and scam in the book, and having a tonne of fun along the way. I also remember being oblivious to 90% of the curse words/jokes/inneundo for the first few years... the internet is a great way to lose your innocence.

I think one of my earliest MMOs after that was a game called Puzzle Pirates. Basically you control a 'pirate' and go along on 'pillages', where you can 'sail' or do 'carpentry', then 'battle' with other ships. I say 'battle' etc because 50% of the game is actually just puzzles. It was surprisingly fun, though! I checked on it recently; it's still going strong, and I forgot how addictive some of those mini-games are.

You can create crews, create a hierarchy (cabin persons, pirates, officers, fleet officers, senior officers, captain), own ships. There are islands where you can own shops which make weapons, clothes, furniture. And you can have various kinds of houses!

3. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

By memory, my first MMO played was the first Everquest game. In fact, I didn't even know MMO was a genre back then. I just figured I had a new game to play with my friends and that was it. With that said, I definitely put some serious hours into the game. Even now I have some fond memories of the game.

4. MrMoose

MrMoose Active Member

My first ever MMO was Runescape, I loved it. You could do literally ANYTHING.
    PKing was also one of my favourite things to do in the whole game, also skilling was a heck of a lot of fun.

5. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

My first was Guild Wars. And that was years ago. Second is World of Warcraft.

6. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Member

i have not really played vanilla but my first was World of Warcraft and till this day i still enjoy it.

7. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Ultima Online, 1997-8. IT was so fun, the possibilities limitless because you could skill your character the way YOU wanted to. It wasn't "level" based but "skill based" and you could design any template you wanted. Want a Mage? Who can fire a bow? And unlock trapped chests/treasure hunt? Or how about a Paladin - could heal/tank/dps, mixed with armorsmithing and weaponcrafting? Could do that as well. You weren't locked to choices and that's what made the game world seem infinitely huge to me (in reality, the MAPS were STILL HUGE looking back).

And the freedom of motion - nothing held more fun than to explore the deepest wildernesses on my way to another city to open a moongate for quick travel.

8. midorisour

midorisour Active Member
    Regular

My first MMO was Dark Age of Camelot. Albion on Igraine. I miss that game and all the people I played with. :(

9. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

My first was final fantasy then Minecraft.

I haven't played all FF but I liked Minecraft more.