Your first MMO?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by Disparity, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Disparity

Disparity Member

First MMORPG I've played was World of Warcraft during the first expansion, my friends in RL were into online PC games and pulled me into it. Since then I've been hooked on MMO type games.

2. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

My first MMO was SWG. I am a huge fan of Episodes 4, 5, 6 (better known as original 3) in their original state. In other words Hans shot first.

I will always remember making my first character (an artisan, though original SWG was more freeform - didn't matter what you started with you could change your build to anything) and going out surveying with some other artisans in the area. There was a couple of us that had kept following a resource trail to richer yields when a Huf Dun head poked over the hill and the ground began to shake - we hightailed it back to town so fast, heading straight to the cantina to find out if anyone knew what the creature was, just a few weeks later we would all be out hunting Huf Duns but on that day we were truly awestruck.

Best thing about SWG was being able to build a character how you wanted. Originally you could only have one character per server. Eventually I ended up with two accounts - one with my Pistoleer/Musician/Artisan combo and one with my Creature Handler/Bio Engineer combo.

Since then I've tried a whole bunch of MMOs and stuck with a few. Longest played so far has been LOTRO but that's more because we bought lifetime subs so we always end up back there in between the other MMOs. Currently playing SWTOR.

1 person likes this.
  3. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

Sounds familiar to me except I got hooked up on MMO's when I played my first MMO on the PS2 (EQOA) good stuff. That was around the same era of SWG. I had never played SWG, was busy for all those years on ever crack. A lot of people have tried EQ but not the PS2 one which was one of the best MMORPG ever made (imo)

4. Caledon

Caledon Teef

5. Disparity

Disparity Member

Has there been any MMO that could get the feeling SWG once had? It seems like whichever mmo somebody played first is the one they truly love & compare all others too.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  6. Disparity

Disparity Member

and for you too

7. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

I always forget about Neverwinter Nights and the other one that Imagination Network had. Both were very cutting edge at the time and expensive to play as you had to not only pay for a subscription to either AOL or INN but in some cases pay for connection due to lack of widespread access.

Biggest thing I remember about the INN one is that some of the stuff took people outside of your group to help with, something about four people outside the dungeon flipping switches for the folks in the dungeon.

Didn't play around with either services game too much at the time - was really into playing cards though (this is before Yahoo and free card games).

8. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

First experiences in gaming are almost impossible to surpass. Or at least for a while. When SOE problems happened last year and they gave us 45 days of game time me and hubby went back to SWG to check it out. First it took a week to do an initial sort on our stuff and figure out our characters again. Then it took 3 weeks to actually organize our stuff. We had resources stashed everywhere, and characters all over the place. When all was said and done it was nice to go back and say goodbye, but not worth it to us to keep playing.

Part of our problem with LOTRO and why we are playing SWTOR right now is sheer boredom. There comes a point where you need a serious break from characters and game worlds. When you read about updates to the game and you get teed off rather than excited because it all sounds like more of the same it is time to go play something else. I like to think of it as taking a vacation, a few months later LOTRO become tolerable, a bit longer and LOTRO usually has quite a bit of new content to explore.

9. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

Runescape :3

10. Disparity

Disparity Member

I see, for me it took about 3 games really EQ2/FF11/WOW I played them all around the same time from one to another except these were all incredibly successful mmo's... but it's safe to say that after you play all 3 of those you've seen everything MMORPG'S got to offer and so nothing will top them as they were the "originals"

11. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

I agree with the first gaming experience is hard to surpass.

I was 10 years old when I started playing FFXI and I loved every minute of it. Still to this day I can sometimes find myself lost in nostalgic memories of the game while listening to the soundtrack on youtube. (sad I know :p)

That being said, I'm older now and looking back at the ingame system it sucked... a lot. But that didn't take away from my experience at the time and it'll always be a great nostalgic memory for me. FFXIV on the other hand.. don't even get me started. :p

12. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

Can you believe FFXI used to be amazing in our eyes, if we look back now the UI is a huge WTF lol. FFXIV made me want to cry as well, I was expecting so much from it. :( Trying to erase the memories I still have of FFXIV so they don't ruin FFXI memories.

13. Ibdabloke

Ibdabloke New Member

For me it was vanilla WoW up to the start of BC. Have not played it since. Lots of memories.

14. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

Yeah definitely, the FFXI menu was horrible. It was/still is a great game for the time though in my opinion anyway.

As for Vanilla WoW. I agree whole heartedly. My best times in WoW was Vanilla/TBC. WotlK and beyond just sucked.

15. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

Mine was diablo.

16. Disparity

Disparity Member

Everyone thought flying mounts would be awesome in the first expansion, but WoW proved flying mounts to me as something I have zero care for, ruins the game more than anything.

17. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't base it on WoW alone, flying mounts can be handled very differently. Now imagine of AoC had flying mounts pulled of similar to how they pulled of the ground mounts. It would definitively be a lot more fun

18. Serethena

Serethena New Member

Asheron's Call 1 The list of MMOs that I have played through time isn't exactly short though...

19. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I'm not yet thirty... fyi.

My first mmo of sorts was inn of the red dragon. This is a text based game with pve and pvp. It was hosted on this guys computer where you literally had to dial one computer to another. The line was always busy because only one person could dial in at a time.

See why I prefaced it with I'm not yet thirty?