Your Dog Can't Die

Discussion in 'Fallout 4 News' started by Jessica Pipgrl, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Jessica Pipgrl

Jessica Pipgrl Active Member

Check out this video to see an update on how companions will work in Fallout 4.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2438092/se...esda-details-the-games-new-companion-systems/

To summarize, Bethesda chose to make companions immortal. Apparently, we all get just a little bit too attached to our pets and human followers, so they decided to make them live forever. You also get to see a short snippet of your canine companion, Dogmeat, running around in the game.

What do you think about the fact that your companions can't die in the game? (I personally like it because Dogmeat is pretty darned cute.)

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really like Dogmeat so I'm glad he can't die. Companions are part of the game, it makes sense that they're immortal. I agree, we kind of get too attached to our pets sometimes. :D

36 people like this.
  3. ilivetofly

ilivetofly Member
    Regular

I really like that they cannot die but I think that they will have to be very careful to make this work out in the game's lore - I think this would be the best word. Perhaps when you die it would be important to make the respawning process have a little extra thought.

36 people like this.
  4. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm of two minds on this. I'm fine with companions not dying in general combat, because that teed me off in Fallout 3 and Skyrim. I hated putting hours and hours into developing a good followed only to have them get pegged by some random shmuck. That said, I would be cool with story situations where they could disappear permanently from your party, such as during a heroic sacrifice or a terrible choice or some such. A bit of fear for the people you love makes for a more compelling gaming experience.

The dog not being able to die brings the movie I Am Legend to mind. That movie was awesome up until the dog died. And the moment the dog died was one of the most emotional, poignant, and horrifying parts of the movie, and I don't think I would remove it. Point being, the death of a developed companion can add power to a story. (Granted, the movie sucked after the dog died, so... anyway...)

5. Jessica Pipgrl

Jessica Pipgrl Active Member

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't mind if a human companion died as part of the storyline, or as a result of choices I made in the game. I just wouldn't want the person to die due to run of the mill wasteland warfare. I wouldn't want my dog to die under any circumstance.

When you mentioned the dog in I am Legend, I immediately felt depressed. That dog was the real star of the show! I still haven't gotten over the dog's death in the famous book many of us had to read as children - Old Yeller. It seems a bit harsh for schools to scar kids for life by making them read that book.

6. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

Yeah, its harsh, but it's a valuable lesson.

Oh that thing you like? It can end at any moment. Life ain't fair.

Just like To Kill A Mockingbird was a school book for me. Racism isn't a 14-year olds issue, is it?

/off-topic

----

Far Cry 2 had a good companion system, in that you could include any of your allies in a mission or free-roam quest, but if they take too much damage, they get "downed".

Too many downs, and they will eventually stop responding to your attempts to save them.

I kept reloading a difficult mission save to try keep a certain ally alive. Alas, I'd bitten off way too much, they kept dying and using up all my medpacks.

It's a really touching moment when your character injects your ally, and they keep screaming in pain. So you inject more. And more. And more.

Then they stop moaning and you know you've lost something.

#6 Freddymac1, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  7. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

I like that you can lose your companion, makes the game more difficult. Hope they allow them to die on hard mode at least.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

Hooray! I had so many times when I was running through the wasteland when my companions decided to run away and aggro an enemy, and then get brutally murdered by it. It was SUPER annoying, so I'm glad they made them immortal!

9. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's good for the dog companion. But I kinda wish there's a way that your human companions can die. I'm fine with them being immortal in combat, but like I wish there was a situation in the game where if you make a bad decision there's a chance they may die. Like the suicide missions in the Mass Effect series, you know what I mean? Characters become way more memorable if there's a chance for them to actually die, because you'll care more about them.

10. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with Kenneth. There's an effect there that is more special if they were able to die. But as far as the dog goes, that's awesome. The death of that strong of a companion is really sad.

11. Nasofyn

Nasofyn Member

I personally love the challenge of having to keep my companies alive, in my humble opinion they should've patched in some kind of fleeing mechanism that fires whenever a companion is in dire straits. Have the enemies target someone else with the companion running away. I know it's difficult to balance gameplay and realism, but I don't like seeing my companions drop unconscious all the time, with there being no penalty when the battle is over.

So yeah, seconding Typhon here, praying for a hardcore difficulty or some such.

12. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not really bothered too much since I normally prefer to travel alone, but if I must stick with someone, I would rather they don't die, at least on normal difficulty. If I'm doing a challenge run, then they should die when they take too much damage.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm happy he can't die, I would be extremely sad if I got attached and lost him. That said, if he was able to die it would add so much tension to the game, which would be interesting.

14. TheCheese

TheCheese Member

I'm happy about this because then I don't have to worry about protecting him during battles. I can just do what I want knowing he will be alright. Makes the game more enjoyable, but perhaps they should have given an option.

15. Nemesysbr

Nemesysbr Member

I think that's great. All perma-death does for me is to make me become a save-scummer, as I just wouldn't be able to live on without saying "WHO'S A GOOD BOY?" every time I pick a joystick

16. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Finally they realized this and chose to incorporate this feature into their game. I always used mods that made my companions immortal in all of Bethesda`s games, so the fact that our companions cannot die in Fallout 4 is convenient. :D

17. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think there should've been an option selection. Just give people the choice so they can do what they prefer the most and there wouldn't be an argument about it. :p

36 people like this.
  18. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

That should have been a solution as well. Although I cannot really imagine anyone opting for the fact that their companion could die in battle. This is even more true, if you think about the fact that AI is not really perfect and you could loose your companion through really stupid circumstances. :p

19. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's a good change overall, given how your companion AI can be wonky at times, so you could lose him/her/it for no fault of your own. I really like Dogmeat so I'm glad that I won't get him killed by accident.

20. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree, its a good change. Especially for the dog since it can run in melee at any time and its not particularly strong.