Quantcast

You'll be able to have 4 characters at once in The Division

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Ishmael, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

An interesting tidbit about The Division. They've recently confirmed in their developer blog that you'll be able to create up until 4 characters at once in your profile in The Division. This is a little bit like Destiny, where you can create multiple characters in order to use different classes and abilities. I think it'll be similar in the sense that maybe we'll be able to have, for example, a character better at supporting other players with healing and all that sort of thing, while having also a character better at assaulting with shotguns and assault rifles, like a tank or something.

This is interesting to me because it means that we'll be able to try multiple styles without making "Jack of all trades" type of characters, and instead create ones that are more focused into doing specific things but are much more stronger in those abilities in particular.

What do you think? Do you like this feature?

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, this is a great feature to have. I think you nailed it right on the head with your comment of not having to do the Jack-of-All-Trades thing. It's nice to know I can create a healer support type character but I can still make my bad-ass, assault rifle wielding Rambo, haha.

3. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

Yes, this is the way to go for most games today. Actually having different roles in the game creates a diverse playing style experience. Teams also benefit a lot out of different classes because each player is just focused on what they should do best. This brings the teams overall gaming level to a superior one if in contrast, as Ishmael said, every player were a "jack-of-all-trades". I definitely like this feature better than having players with the same skills and stats.

4. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

I'm hoping that there will be true options for those of us who prefer more stealth based characters. I like the idea of a non-lethal class using tranquilizer rounds or the possibility of a melee weapon such as a stun baton to disable enemies. Even better would be the ability to completely avoid detection if you're good enough or hide/disguise in specific ways to get past obstacles.

5. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

This is pretty cool, I guess. I mean, I love playing RPGs this way, creating multiple different characters and having different adventures with them, playing using different styles. I would like to know more about the playstyles the game will offer though.

6. Ishmael

I think this game creates something of a competitive and tactical layer over the entire game. It'll be interesting to see the more hardcore players playing the game.

7. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

I like it! I think more games should follow the suit and put this feature in their games. I've played a few games that have this feature and let me tell you, it was super exciting. It can probably get a bit annoying sure, but it makes the game better and as mentioned here before, it makes the game much more competitive.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Good to know! It means we can focus our characters on specific tactics instead of making one that's decent in every aspect. 4 characters are plenty for a player!

9. Ishmael

I don't even know if I'm going to use more than one! :D But more choices are always welcome, I agree.

10. zombie23

zombie23 New Member

Even with all these characters available, i feel like once I start one I'm committed. I'll constantly grind to max level/best gear and by then I'm normally burned out of the game. Anybody else feel this way? I wish they just made it more of a "jack-of-all-trades" style character. That way I could switch between play style as I feel.

11. Ishmael

Well, now you can switch between play styles... by changing characters! :p

12. Rhygez

Rhygez Member

I couldn't be more happy, of course more characters the merrier, this is for me since I enjoy to have alot of characters at once and mess around with different play styles and so on. Since I am not a hardcore gamer or anything, I don't mind if I don't finish a character at all as long as I can have fun with multiple ones!

13. d'arakh

I forgot to ask, does this mean we'll be able to create our own characters from scratch or will we have to choose from preset characters? I mean, I don't care either way, but I think it'll be a lot better to create your own character.

14. Player7

I'm not a 100% sure but from what I've seen it will be a mix of both. For example you have 3 "Archetype Attributes" which are: Pointman, Tactican and Survivalist. These points only seem to increase when you level up. Then you also have the "Power Score" which can be modified according to your play style. This one does have into consideration the weapon of choice so some aspects here will be different according to the weapons you play with.

What seems to be a little bit odd with this building system is that the higher the level of a player the weapon causes more damage. If you are at level 10 and an enemy at 12 apparently he will deal more damage than you even if you both use the exact same weapon.

Visually speaking, perhaps we'll get a player skin modifier but I have no idea on this one.

15. d'arakh

The sounds... Discomforting. Do you mean that by default a player with a higher level will deal more damage with the same weapon or is that a skill you can choose?

16. Player7

That's pretty much what I've understood since you will gain archetype attribute points as you level up. This points somehow influence how much damage you deal. Thinking a bit deeper though there is also the possibility to add points to your armor so then an enemies attack damage can be lessened. HOWEVER level does seem to make an effect on damage dealt and recieved, just like a good ol' RPG game.

17. Ishmael

Are you serious? I hate that stuff in videogames. Every time that happens in an RPG I'm instantly turned off by it. I seriously hope it's not that restrictive as you describe it. :(

18. d'arakh

I can see your point to a certain extent, but I think it adds a dimension of realism into the whole leveling system. I try to look at it from this perspective - if you're a rookie boxer going against World Champ, you're likely to get knocked out, but if you keep going against fighters who are close to your level skill, you will progress and gain experience and eventually you'll be able to go toe to toe with the champ.

19. igasmurfa

igasmurfa Member Regular

It'll definitely make me play the game more, being able to satisfy different gaming moods or cravings.

20. Ishmael

Yes but in my opinion skill should based on the player's own abilities, not by how much experience you've farmed. I should be able to beat a world champion boxer if I'm as skilled as him even though I've never got any recognition for it. Take CSGO for example. There's no progression system or anything, you just have to be the better team to beat the other team. There are no gimmicks.
    But I know that there are player who don't care about that and they're fine with the system that is in the game. It's just personal preference.