Quantcast

Xenogears

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by fliktor7, Jan 12, 2015.

1. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

Has anyone played this game? Its a bit old (it come out at the same time than Final Fantasy 7). I found it awesome, it is probably my favourite jrpg from all the times xD
    The story is amazing (a bit complicated but amazing), and the soundtrack and characters are just perfect. Later they released the Xenosagas, they weren't not bad, but not as great as gears in my opinion, and Xenoblade Chronicles (probably one of the greatest jrpg of this last generation, if not the best) but I personally didn't enjoy it so so much as the Xenogears.
    Here you can see some gameplay, it's from playstation 1.

Has someone played it? What were your impressions?

2. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

It is one of the best JRPGs of its time and it's a shame that it was completely overshadowed by Final Fantasy. That being said the same studio and team that created Xenogears did create Saga and Blade Chronicles. Gears and Saga share the same universe, though I can't say the same for Chronicles. Saga was supposed to be an epic that would match/surpass Gears that would last for 7 games. (The span of said games was going to bridge the two together.) Namco messed it up by canning the original creators for the project and completely demolishing all the notes and original storyline intended for Saga.

3. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

It's actually my favorite RPG of all rime. I was mesmerized by its story from start to finish. The journey felt huge and epic and the characters were very memorable. Locations in the game varied and they were such a joy to explore. Gameplay was top-notch too. I can't say anything negative because they're isn't any. It's the finest rpg every made IMO.

4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Now that's a game that I haven't heard or thought about in a long time. It was incredible, to say the least.

5. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Xenosaga sucked big time. I managed to play Xenosaga part 2 and it was so boring that I didn't bother playing it after spending about 3 hours into the game. It lacked the ability of Xenogears to mix the futuristic vibe with other elements like past and present feel. It was like a star wars RPG with boring characters. Well, maybe I expected too much from it because of its relating to Xenogears...

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

Xenosaga 1 for me was enjoyable despite the super long cut scenes and was created by the original staff who created Xenogears. The reason why 2 sucked was because Namco sacked the original creators of Gears and Saga 1. The creators of Monolith who were the heart of the Xenogears project is a husband/wife writing/directing team and Yasunori Mitsuda the music composer. The three were the heart of the entire universe and spent so much time creating it and then Namco sacked all three from the project.

They left behind entire folders of how the storyline should unfold as well as how the directions of the games should be, but the new people completely trashed those plans and struck out on their own thinking they could do better.

3 kinda redeemed itself a little because the dumbnuts finally decided to look at the original plans and reeled it a little back to what it was supposed to be, but it was too late and it ruined the franchise and so Namco sold off the entire studio. They were sold off to Nintendo, where for the next 5-7 years the studio was stuck making crappy ports for DS games.

This is why I will forever boycott Namco. Like I said before, if Namco didn't do the crap they did, the Saga series would have lasted for 7 games and really tied together Xenogears and Saga together. The first Xenosaga game was a decent reintroduction to the universe and with a limited budget as an independent studio since they struck out on their own without Square's backing...it's impressive.

As a diehard fan of Monolith Software, I've collected rare books/magazines with preliminary sketches and interviews and excerpts from the original plans for the games as well as an extremely rare book with the orchestral sheet music of Xenosaga 1.

7. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member Regular

I haven't heard about this game ever but the comments are really nice. I really have to check this out. I want to play this game now. It looks interesting and fun to play!