WoW vs. Eq2

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by JohnBeaulieu, May 18, 2015.

1. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

WoW is the more popular of these two games. It is the obvious choice if you like PvP. PvP was an after thought in Eq2 and it is kind of clunky. EQ2 goes for more of a realistic look while WoW is kind of cartoon like.

EQ2 has more features and an amazing graphics engine, but it requires a decent rig to use the better display settings. WoW may not be the game that could run on a toaster anymore but it is still less intensive on your system.

They are both great MMORPGs. For now they are standard massively multi-player gaming as a whole, but I see all that changing when Everquest Next is finally released. What are your thoughts?

2. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

I've never played EQ2, but my husband has. He is a huge EQ gamer, played EQ2 for a bit, hated it..then he tried WoW for almost a year, fell out of love with it and went back to EQ2. He said it was basically like EQ trying to mirror WoW. Everything that people say they liked about WoW (graphics, character models, etc) EQ2 seemed to have had. He only played briefly so he isn't by any means an expert though.
    I've never heard of EQ Next. I'll have to look that up. If it's a hit (which it likely will be) I might never see my husband again.

3. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I'm a bit biased but I will say that WoW is more fun than EQ2 because it just has a different system and it feels more original. You have to pay for WoW and it just feels like you're putting money into what you're playing and it's not as "unfair" as EQ2 I would say.

4. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I enjoyed EQ2, especially the housing system and the ability to win things from the card packs. It was fun. However, I do not think the graphics are as good as WoWs. The running is stiff, or if was the last time I played. Though, I will agree that they go for a more realistic look then WoW. I, honestly, like the cartoony nature of the World of Warcraft graphics myself.

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wasn't a fan of EQ2 at all for so many reasons. I can see why some people prefer the game, though.

6. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I can see it too, but after a while it gets really boring.

I absolutely agree with you. I love the cartoony nature of WoW more than EQ2, gameplay might differ a lot though where EQ2 might come slightly better. Overall, WoW could perform better.

7. Athilea

It could, but a lot of the performance is tied up with the graphics. Lower graphics means that the FPS and all will be higher. I honestly do not think that EQ2 has the better graphics of the two games. Not for the characters at least. Perhaps for the surrounding areas, I would have to play it again to be sure on that. Still, I wish we had honest player housing in WoW like in EQ2. I love it.

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The problem is just with the graphics. When you push the graphics you do a lot of things. First off, you hurt performance in that everything feels just a bit slower.. including the UI. Probably my biggest pet peeve in a game is a slow UI or mushy feeling input. The other thing with high end graphics is it takes away the freedom of level designers.... areas have to be smaller and your view has to be shorter.. so you can´t have bigger battles or have a lot of mobs on the screen for an epic feeling fight.

9. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Oh yes, that would be cool.

10. Athilea

Wouldn't it, Kyler? It's something that I don't think Blizzard would ever actually give us. At least they have given us the farm area in Pandaria and the Garrison in Dreanor, though. it's not what we want, but it's better then nothing. There's some customization, and you can have a few friends in there with you.

11. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess. It's just hard when the developers don't listen to the community.

12. Athilea

It is frustrating when they don't listen, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Maybe this means that they are slowly, but surely, moving towards giving us housing. We can always hope.

13. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Yes. It reminds me of a game called RuneScape, they eventually saw the consequences and losses for not listening to their community, now every update has a poll.

14. Athilea

That's true enough. Here's to hoping that they take a page from that book, right Kyler? I think player housing in WoW would be amazing. If not player housing, then at least guild housing.

15. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I know some MMORPG's who have that and it's pretty cool, but it's hard to manage though.

16. Athilea

It can be hard to manage, but it's still a great feature to have. That goes for both role players and non role players alike. I don't really know anyone that doesn't like the idea of player and/or guild housing.

17. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

They already said, and I agree that they won´t do guild housing because it basically becomes a feature for a few people.

I also think Garrisons are as close to player housing as they can do. The world is not big enough to have non-instanced housing, and if they did try and do that, it would be a trailor park... they just wouldn´t be able to create interesting land that was big enough to have spots for housing for everyone. So what they could do is something like Garrisons with a little less ´gameplay´ and a little more customization.

18. Athilea

Why would it need to be non-instanced housing? the housing in EQ2 was instanced, and there was nothing wrong with that. The same for the guild housing. I don't agree that they shouldn't give us at least one of those features, as it could be very beneficial for a lot of players. There are a number of guilds that would love to have some sort of guild housing where they could privately have their meetings and other gatherings without having to contain it all to guild chat, teamspeak, or something like that.

19. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Yeah I know. I think there would be a lot of work into it keeping players more busy.