WoT in a nutshell...?

Discussion in 'World of Tanks and Planes' started by Jaya, May 29, 2014.

1. Jaya

Jaya Active Member

Okay, I know absolutely nothing about this game, although I have seen lots of ads (and not really paid attention to them). What's the premise and why do you like it? What is going to make me want to play this? I'm curious what people think...thanks! :D

2. iroyv

iroyv Active Member

World of Tanks is pretty fun! The game favors slower, more strategic decisions to succeed so it's refreshing from other multiplayer games. It's a little different War Thunder with its arcade-like mechanics which means that the game is easier to get into. It's a lot of fun, but just keep in mind that learning the mechanics can be a big challenge.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm not trying to hammer down on the other poster for his/her comment on WoT, but s/he didn't actually say much about the game at all. It's like a very generic ad that fits any game.

World of Tanks is an MMORPG where players start off with a Tier 1 tank. Each tier has a number of upgradable features for weapons, tracks, armour, radar, etc. You also recruit a tank crew that can level up over time. Each tank crew member has a specific purpose for each element of piloting a tank. Also, beyond equipping your tank, you can also get first aid kits, repair kits, etc.

Note that it's not really a simulation and leans more towards an action game. There is no PvE. It's all PvP. Players queue up and are randomly put into maps on one of the teams. To win, you either destroy everyone or you capture 'flags' and gain points over time until the cap. The amount of experience you gain, depends on how well you play.

There are a maximum of 10 tiers. The higher the tier, the more powerful the tank. However, don't let the tier fool you into thinking that getting a Tier 10 tank is your ultimate goal. Most T10 tanks are ranked as super heavy tanks with awesome firepower, but know that super heavy tanks with lots of firepower doesn't necessarily mean it fits your play style.

Personally, I prefer the smaller medium sized tanks that can out maneuver and out run the larger tanks. I can help disable a tank, while a supporting heavy tank or tank killer can gun the enemy down. So as you can see, team work is the key to this game. You can go off on your own, but you will most likely die more often if you do. Note that there is no respawning. It's one life per instance.

There are five types: light, medium, heavy, tank killer and artillery. Although artillery tanks shoot long range and they have a minimum effective range, you can 'transform' them into a transport mode where they act as a frontal-assault tank capable of defending itself, but better to run and hide some place to engage the enemy again.

Anyway, just watch Youtube game play videos and you will get a feel for it.

4. Tom G

Tom G Member

Its fun its pretty historically correct, but some tanks they have to stretch that otherwise your a 1-hit-kill. I like the game, if you play too much you kinda will get bored of it. It takes awhile to get good at the game. If you want to play the game decently you will need a good computer. The dev's are adding more and more things. I like the game. You just have to "grind" you tank (Earn exp in battles to get a better tank and equipment.)

5. Aelfwin1996

Aelfwin1996 Member
    Regular

Grinding at the purest of its form. I stopped playing because of that, it was getting ridiculous. After some time playing you just keep saying the same maps over and over. The game mechanics are well done most of the time. Make sure you have low ping. The different types of tank are also interesting because the gameplay changes a lot. And the different countries also make a difference on strengths and weaknesses.

6. Sarleons

Sarleons Member

World of Tanks is a slow-paced combat tactical MMO, it’s all about PvP and Clan wars, it’s not for people who enjoy soloing or PvE (Fighting against the computer), there is an option to play random battles without joining a clan or a team but you still need to cooperate with the others to be successful. The desire to upgrade your tank and the variety of what each tank can do keeps you playing. The deep knowledge about where to fire and how to fire and which shell type to use and when to use gives the games a high degree of proficiency which contributes to the reasons to play it.

7. Tanis

Tanis Active Member
    Regular

Interesting, non-standard gameplay. Horrid community. Entertaining competitive play. As far as shooting games go, it's slower paced and fairly tactical, which I can appreciate. The game mechanics are pretty unique (at least until Armoured Warfare appeared) and it's got a lot of variety.

World of Tanks honestly introduced me to tank warfare and tank related history, so it added a new interest to my life. I play almost daily, but only a few matches at a time. I just wish the community was nicer, but you can't ask too much of competitive multiplayer.