World Versus World

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: PvP Discussion' started by Unknown, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

Who else is looking forward to this? This is something new that we haven't had in GW1. I'm really looking forward to seeing this pulled off.

If you don't know about it here is an overview

World Versus World

In WvW you are placed into the Mists with your current equipment but are upgraded temporarily up to level 80. Servers are matched against two other servers (worlds) of similar rank in an open-world setting with multiple objectives such as fortresses and caravans. Players are free to join into the largest group battles or even branch off on their own for smaller fights. There is no player limit in World Versus World and no balance between worlds.

The world map has three sections, one for each world and even some neutral territory. All the worlds will have castles, villages, mercenary camps, mines lumber mills and fortresses that may be captured to collect resources that can be used to build siege weapons, repair buildings, and craft other defenses. NPCs will also exist throughout the map to add to the experience.

World PvP is on a two-week rotation and at the end of each cycle the rank of each world is updated and a new match-up is created. Controlling territories or capture points will give world-wide benefits such as faster regeneration, increased drop rates, or increased experience gain.

Interesting that they have no player limit & everyone gets a level boost. Really this is something new to the MMORPG scene. We had War Hammer but it wasn't anywhere near this scale.

2. Halgent

Halgent New Member

I am also looking forward to this, but it seem there going to be a lag problem from other players. So idk i hope they do something about it. Overall can't wait to WvWvW. Hope to see you in game when it come out.

3. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

i hope not, that's a problem most mmo have with large battles.. i'm hoping gw2 has a a way to work around the lag.

4. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

Im REALLY looking forward to WvW. Large pvp seige battles are what got me into Warhammer online, alas it didnt last long. Im really debating on doing this most of the day, rather than my usual PvE!

5. Tjernstrom

Tjernstrom Member

I love open world pvp but I realise some people doesn't, so this is a perfect compromise.

WvWvW'in to level 80 sure would be awesome.

6. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

I'll be shocked if you could level just as fast as pve to the max level, or vice versa. Hope its balanced.

7. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

The latest news on WvWvW was that everyone automatically becomes lvl 80 at start. The only thing you carry with you is gear.

8. Tjernstrom

Tjernstrom Member

Oh, I thought that was only in the PvP not in the WvWvW.

From the wiki

9. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

Thats what we all thought, but recently in an interview, one of the devs made a comment about everyone being lvl 80... sooo, take it how you will.

10. Aleister

Aleister Member

In conquest battles you are sidekicked up to level 80, unlock all skills and get access to a set of pvp gear.

In WvW you are sidekicked up to 80, but your skills and gear stay the same.

So a true 80 will have an advantage, but someone sidekicked will still be able to contribute.

11. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

Im very exited for this feature, i cant wait to feel those epic massive battles :D

i never got to experience DAoC... and PlanetSide was allready "dead" when i tried it :(

12. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

OOoh sorry to go off topic but i was a huge PS1 fan in the hay day. Oh man fun times fun times...

PS2 will hopefully do the same thing with a different payment model and that will be a great buy for any FPS fan.

13. DonQuitto

Definetly PS2 one of my most anticipated of 2012 right behind GW2 after that Diablo 3 and End of Nations

14. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Don't know if you guys caught this but SWTOR screwed up on large scale pvp. I hope GW doesn't do the same thing.
    Funny vid! Frames are so bad one guy jests making the window into a tiny 5x4" screen.

[video=youtube;7uT90g1-hJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uT90g1-hJg&hd=1[/video]

15. DonQuitto

that looked really akward :p

16. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

Yikes. Not many games can handle that many players even WoW has major lag problems. I'm going to be amazed if GW will be lag free with an excess of players.

17. DonQuitto

we shall hopefully see at Open beta ;)

18. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Bioware had no experience with PVP and they really screwed up. GW has lots of experience.... but not many companies have done WvWvW and even fewer have done it well.

Dungeons - no problem, content - im sure they can pull it off, pvp balance - high expectations.
    If i had to guess this is what's holding up production more than anything right now. This would be a challenge from a code, server, and mechanics perspective. We have also seen ZERO examples of this. Haters will jump all over this if not done right at release. (and rightfully so) Also, this is going to be tricky because you can see an animation overload with just the 5 v 5 in the structure pvp examples.

I'm sure if it can be done well the anet team will do it... but i wouldn't be surprised if they have to retract some statements about how they expect wvwvw to go down.

19. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

holy sht lol, that game doesn't look to be made to handle more than 6 players.

20. Caledon

Caledon Teef

WvW is the biggest draw for me, and something that I'll definitely jump into right off the bat. I'm dying for more info on it though...

I wonder, though, if you can still level up your skills in WvW. I'm just not sure if this changed now that you get sidekicked up.