Quantcast

Will you ever get bored of RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by William Quah, Feb 13, 2014.

1. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Role playing games have been one of my go-to genres for gaming. (Fighting games a close second.)

So, yes, at times it feels like it's the same old stick that I've played. However, it's only because it's usually the same story that uses the same formula and no shock value to it.

When a game switches things up to make it new and exciting, I feel in love with the genre all over again.

2. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I am the type of person to play games until excess, so really I end up getting bored of any game eventually.

3. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I enjoy RPGs because of characters and storyline. Without those an RPG really isn't an RPG. It's like a movie or a book that you can play. Sure playing a game by mechanics alone is alright, but I do enjoy games with a lot of substance.

4. majessticah

majessticah Active Member

The only time I get bored of an RPG is when I want to replay the game as a different character, and I have to do the same exact quests over again. It literally exhausts me because I feel like all the progress I made previously was in vain, even though it wasn't. I wish there was some way of making unique quests each time you play a game, but from a coding perspective, that would be a nightmare to accomplish. As a genre, however, I don't think I'll ever get tired of RPGs. The concept of leveling up and becoming stronger as your character develops has always appealed to me, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of that!

5. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I hate that, majessticah!

I don't know why, but it literally bores me to sleep in some games! No matter how much I love Dragon Age: Origins, I can't STAND Ostagar! When it comes to the side quest, it's a hassle and going back and forward isn't something that I like doing in that dull colored place. I step only about 5 to 15 mintues in there and I feel like I'm in the Fade being put to sleep by a Sloth Demon.

6. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I can't say that I'll get bored of RPGs since there are different types for them. If I get tired of fantasy RPGs, I'll find my way to Action or Urban RPGs. So long as people make different subgenres of it, I'll always keep playing it.

7. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

No. RPG are one of the best genre on the game industry. I love that you make decision of your actions, your own story. So I'm never will get bored of RPG.

8. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I already got bored of RPG to be honest but for me it's always like a sort of high and down moments with RGPS. Usually I pass a period where I would stay there playing thos egames for like hours if not even days and the next week I would just thorw them out of my hhouse because of the boredom.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

If new games will not feature inovative features then I'm going to get bored of the genre for sure. RPGs are pretty stale at the moment but some really cool games are going to come out soon.

10. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think I will ever get bored of RPG's, in fact it bugs me that I simply just don't have enough time in the day to play a lot of them, and that to me is unfortunate. Now in regards to over-playing some yeah, i'll probably bore of them but with so many exciting games to choose from, all with their own unique play styles I will never be let down!

11. Zarentu

Zarentu Active Member

Well RPGs are like playing something that you are not anything like out of game. And I always like playing the hero that saves the world and swoops the princess off her feet. I do sometimes get bored of them, so I just switch to something else for awhile and then come back to RPGs, I doubt they will ever get super boring though.

12. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

I already got bored, I think that there are more interesting video games to play at the moment. :D

13. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I am a person who's attention, thoughts and preferences change a lot, and I really think that I will get bored of RPGs, and it will be soon. It happened before, and I just switched the genre to FPS. When I get bored of FPS games, I can just jump over to RTS games, and the cycle continues.

I sometimes throw racing games in the mania too, but usually it's just the RPG-FPS-RTS cycle.

14. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I don't see why I would. RPGs aren't the same thing over and over again - you get into a different role and take part in a different story / world each time. There's tons of variety throughout the genre. There's no lack of content and ideas whatsoever; if you get sick of the "save the world" theme, there's bound to be some other theme out there that does catch your interest, whether it be taming wild animals, farming, or making music - you think of the idea and it probably exists somewhere.

Plus with so many different stories too, its like you're being immersed in a movie or book. People don't often get completely sick of watching movies as far as I know, so why would they be more likely to get sick of playing a game? :p

15. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

I don't get bored while playing RPGs because of the many events, people and places you can go to. I've also made a lot of online friends playing MMORPGs you just have to find the right guild for you. Switch it up if you're getting bored and go to places you haven't been. Talk to characters you haven't talked to, change characters etc. there are a lot of things you can do to spend your time leisurely.

16. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Well no, each one is like a whole new treasure and a whole new experience. I can get bored of certain RPG games but not the genre in total because it is just to vast.

17. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member Regular

I don't thing humanity is ever going to get bored of RPGs simply because humanity always needed a thing like a second life to let them be how they wanted and do what they wanted.

18. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

If you mean getting bored of the rpg genre as a whole, then no. There's too many different kinds of rpgs and subgenre's that go into them for me to ever consider them boring. However, I can grow tired or one game or the other in the genre after so long with it.

19. ConureKeeper1990

ConureKeeper1990 Active Member

Anything can become stale if you indulge in it too much.

As of right now, I'm not bored with RPGs and can't see myself ever abandoning the genre. Most RPG story keeps me interested and I will usually go back and play through the entire game multiple times to try different things (such as different "talking styles" or decisions, different classes or party members). I also have a habit of making a "perfect" playthrough in which I try to have 100% completion... for the games in which that's realistic, anyway.

20. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

Nope. RPG covers too much nowadays, even most non-RPG games have RPG elements to enhance the experience! It's such a versatile genre that there are always ways to make it feel fresh and exciting.

You can change up the gameplay to be completly different than in any RPG before, but still call it an RPG. Take the Final Fantasy series as example, every single game was different (apart from the few early ones) and used different systems for same tasks. I don't think RPGs will ever get boring for as long as games exist!

21. ericnail

ericnail Member

Occasionally I'll switch from RPG to MMORPG to switch it up a little. But I like the concept of RPG in general. I like to make progress with the time I spend on games and while playing alone can eventually get boring, the idea of an RPG itself doesn't. So either adding or removing online play is always enough of a change for me.