Quantcast

Will you ever get bored of RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by William Quah, Feb 13, 2014.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Do you think you'll ever get bored playing RPGs? I don't play a lot of RPGs so I can say I'm not feeling a tad bored with them yet. Maybe someday if I find myself playing too many then there is a chance I may get bored with them.

2. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

Part of what makes RPG so engaging is the plot. If a game have a engaging storyline I am usually sold. I myself loves it when I can participate and make decisions that changes the outcome of the game. Even better if I can customize the appearance of the player character!

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

Even for a great story, I will get bored eventually, but the great thing about being human is that we can put things away and come back to it later. With the exception of a few rare games such as Might & Magic X and Fallout 3, I normally do have to stop playing a game if it becomes too long like Kingdoms of Amalur or if I am distracted by work and my family life. I will eventually go back to them. I just don't know when.

4. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I'm a little different in I also need the combat to be engaging. Part of the reason why I hated FF13 was also because of it's combat. The story of the game was adequate for me but the combat didn't appeal to me to make me want to play the game.

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

It's really hard to say for RPG games that are like Skyrim no, but I would say for most RPG's yes overall I would say I play RPG's a lot less then I used to.

6. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll ever get bored of RPG's. I love leveling up characters and experiencing the different worlds and stories offered by RPG's. It's one of the only game genres that I actually enjoy so I would probably quit playing video games if I ever got bored of them.

7. Delusional

Delusional Well-Known Member

I think I would get bored when playing the same game but not the same genre. I can play a good game for over half a year if I really like it. But then I stop playing it and maybe play it again after a year or 2.

8. idlecuriosities

idlecuriosities Well-Known Member

Definitely not. There is such a diverse range of what can be defined as an RPG nowadays. I just recently got done playing The Witcher 2. There is nothing really innovative in the game, but it just executes certain aspects incredibly well. As long as their is quality writing, there will always be a new RPG for me to fall in love with.

9. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Oh absolutely!! While I may not get tired of RPGs overall, I do tired of certain games over time and just get burned out. I'm not huge into stories like a lot of other people are, though, so this is no surprise. I'm not the type that is drawn in by the story and will continue playing simply because the storyline is good.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I don`t usually get bored of RPGs if I get hooked by the story or the setting or the dialogue and gameplay. But once I finish the game, I`m not likely going to replay it. There are a few exceptions to this though, like Skyrim, Dragon Age or Deus Ex, which I still play or replayed for many times without getting bored.

11. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

I'm no longer as interested in playing RPGS today as compared to when I was still in my teens. Back in the day, I had the patience to read each and every line of NPCs. Now, I just try to get it over with as soon as possible.

I get bored easily nowadays. Playing RPGs is no exeption.

12. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

I will probably never tire of RPGs in general terms, but specific ones, yeah I have gotten bored and will again. I have many old games sitting on the shelf that I haven't bothered to install on my current machine. Every once in a while, I will grab one and play for a while. I think a person can become a bit bloated by overdoing it in a game, but as long as new games are written (quality ones) I think I will never truly grow out of these games.

13. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

The genre? Probably not. Individual RPG games? Certainly. Although, my devotion to a particular game often comes and goes in cycles. A few months of hardcore playing, staying up till 3am in the morning, and then I get sick of it, swear to never play it again, and take a few months off. But they always call me back...

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I would if it recycles itself over and over but for the most part RPG's are the only games for me that doesn't get too boring too easily. An engaging gameplay mechanic plus an equally engaging story will surely make you stick around.

15. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

I dont think that will ever happen. RPG is in my lifeblood ever since I played my first one way back when and realizing that if I put enough time and energy into leveling I could runaround like a GOD bringing my wrath on all my enemies. But all that aside I usually love the story elements and the conflict the characters have to deal with that over all is what usually draws me in.

16. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

I don't think I can ever get bored of rpg games. That's like asking me if I can ever become bored of reading books. As long as I have a good story, I'll always be happy with my rpg games.

17. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Same goes for me. I believe that thee are thousands of stories to be told within thousands of amazing worlds that can e created in games. The possibilities are endless.

18. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

The best made RPGs are often endless fun, so I can't say that I'd ever get bored of certain RPGs.

19. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

I go in spells. I have played Ultima Online off and on for the past 15 years. I do occasionally get bored with it and decide it's not worth the monthly fee, but I always go back. RPGs by nature are the type that leave it up to you to make it interesting. Since I was never into clans I often played alone. That can be okay for awhile, but one can only craft so many items, or practice a skill for so long before it becomes redundant.

20. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

Maybe, One day. However, At the moment, RPG is one of the best genre for me to play. The length of the game and the story is what keeps me going. I am so interested in knowing whats going on and as to why is it happening. The mechanics of the game matter to me a lot and if it isn't something I think I will enjoy, I will keep trying to give it a chance but there were times that I just couldn't and dropped it.

When I do get bored of playing it, I will just switch genres until I get that feeling and excitement again about playing that particular title and go right back to it and keep playing.